New player question about buy strategy

By Drakthal, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi people

So i am looking to get into AH:LCG when it is released. However i am still wondering a bit about whether i just want it to be possible to play with 2 players or 4. Therefore i have the following questions. All my questions are asked in reference to LotR:LCG since it is of course impossible to answer for a game that has not yet been released.

1. In LotR when you buy 2 base boxes, is that then enough to play all products released with 4 people, or do you have to buy each and every expansion twice?

2. Does buying 2 base boxes in LotR add anything more than the option to play 4 people? For example new legal deck building opportunities by having more copies.

3. Does playing 4 players in LotR work or does things like downtime and balance begin becomming a problem?

1. you need the tokens and threat trackers, or you'll simply run out.. there are other ways to do it, write on paper, use replacement tokens.. stuff like that. Progress tokens are the one thing you're probably ok with out of the box. every expansion after a certain point and all the reprints include 3-of every card, except the Hero.

2. Kind of.. you're missing some 1-of cards, some that are pretty gamebreaking. but keep in mind, FFG has come a long way since the release of that.. i think every card will be at least a 2 of in AH:TCG. and yeah. 3-of in every expansion.

3. i think it makes it more fresh, if, a little more fatal. downtime isn't the biggest, due to fact that everyone is constantly playing together in LOTR, but in AH:LCG, there's no playing items on other players, no passing around Allies, there's no Ranged, or Sentinel to defend or attack other players engaged creatures.. so i assume with 4 there MIGHT be more downtime.. but if one thing you should keep in mind, FFG does Co-op very well, and Cory K. is the co-op king in my opinion. (i sound like an ffg fanboy here). there should be plenty do on other players turns that we really can feel out until we get our hands on it. but i'm gonna assume 2 core is king for card count with the best cards in the set.. i personally have no problem playing with just 1 core and building a deck without 3 of a certain card.

AH LCG you can have a max of two cards per deck so two copies of the core is all you need. Mythos packs will have two of each player card for a playset so no multiple purchases needed. Lotr you need three cores to have the playset as its three per player card in that game.

but in AH:LCG, there's no playing items on other players, no passing around Allies, there's no Ranged, or Sentinel to defend or attack other players engaged creatures..

Minor note: There's no Ranged/Sentinel because anyone can attack enemies engaged with other players, provided they're both in the same location. The tradeoff is that they risk damaging their allies if they fail. Also, being in the same location as another investigator means you can commit cards to each other's skill checks. Lastly, we've seen at least one card that works on other investigators (the Encyclopaedia).

So, teamwork does exist; it's just limited based on your in-game location (and, of course, you can't play "attachments" on other players' cards).

Also, even though IN GENERAL you can't play cards on each other, this is an LCG. I would expect that eventually we will see a few cards that specifically say "You can play this card on other Investigators". It's just an obvious thing to do. Half the reason rules exist in LCGs is to create something a card can break :)

Do we have confirmation that some cards will only have 1 copy of in a core set?

Considering the list of cards posted so far, I think most (if not all) of the cards will come in only one copy / core set

Considering the list of cards posted so far, I think most (if not all) of the cards will come in only one copy / core set

The sample decks someone posted from the rulebook include a few doubles, but not many. At least a few of them (Unexpected Courage, Perception) we've seen spoiled as neutrals. My guess would be 2 of those, and singles on everything else, but it's obviously just a guess.

i dunno Julia..

i saw a photocopy of a page of the rulebook and it calls for 2-ofs of some of the starter deck cards for the investigators..

i think it's gonna be a a mix of 1s and 2s.

My guess is that some cards like the flashlight will come at least in 2 copies. May be even 4, allowing two investigators to have each 2 flashlights in their deck.

My guess is that some cards like the flashlight will come at least in 2 copies. May be even 4, allowing two investigators to have each 2 flashlights in their deck.

Has to be 4

XoLKcfw.jpg

All the 2x listed here are neutral, right?

Probably so, they did something similar with Conquest - including extra copies of just the Neutral cards from the Core.

All the 2x listed here are neutral, right?

it's 2x PER investigator.. so 4 of? as it tells you to build the two starter decks? i don't know. interesting.