Advice for a New GM

By HistoryGuy, in Game Masters

I'm new to RPGs but I'm learning the game. I have a few other friends curious about the Edge of the Empire game. I'm going to be getting the Beginner box soon and I'll probably be the one to GM it.

Any advice?

Have fun, have a look around these forums especially the one for the beginner set you're planning on running.

In all likelihood there will have asked and answered most of the questions about running this you've been wondering about!

Heavy drinking. Although that's my default throw down advice for all things.

The two main suggestions I can offer are:

Rule of cool is the main objective. Do your best to learn the rules, but dont get bogged down with them to the point of slowing the session down. Having fun is more important than nailing the rules exactly as written. That will happen in time.

Dont try to plot out every detail that you want the players to do. It is their story. Create an environment for them to play in. Build NPCs that have emotions and motivations. You're there to make the game feel real for the player's characters, not to lead the players thru a scripted linear story that you want to have happen.

You joke, but on a good game day, we have enough libation to kill a bull elephant.

Play around with the dice system when you prep. It's easy to grasp, but takes some getting used to, so practice help. Search out Skill Monkey for podcasty explanations and examples.

You joke, but on a good game day, we have enough libation to kill a bull elephant.

I never joke about my vices....I engage in them with zeal...the whole pirate lifestyle....arrr

I ran a few practice encounters to get used to the dice system before starting the adventure. The dice system is actually very easy, but takes a little getting used to, especially if you've already played D&D or another role-playing game.

Dice rolls don't have to be pass or fail.

Encourage your players to be creative and support their creativity.

Don't worry about strict adherence to rules so long as people have fun (including you) and it doesn't totally wreck verisimilitude.

Be clear in expectations for both players and you.

Lol. Maybe for a couple of the guys, but I don't drink.

I ran a few practice encounters to get used to the dice system before starting the adventure. The dice system is actually very easy, but takes a little getting used to, especially if you've already played D&D or another role-playing game.

I've never done an RPG so this dice system is all I know. Makes it easier. Lol

Heavy drinking at the gaming table is a bad idea. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

A serious oversight I suggest you correct immediately...

The order I want to play is:

1. The Beginner Box Adventure

2. The Core Rule Book Adventure

3. Under a Black Sun Adventure

The order I want to play is:

1. The Beginner Box Adventure

2. The Core Rule Book Adventure

3. Under a Black Sun Adventure

I think there's also a free follow up adventure to the Beginner's box one if that floats your boat.

Make sure your players have a cheat sheet of symbols by their side and don't be afraid to take breaks to discuss.

Make sure you've read through the Adventure Modules in detail in advance (first time I played the system the GM hadn't read the book or rules beforehand and it was a railroaded mess that almost turned me off RPGs entirely).

One unique characteristic of this RPG are Triumph and Despair. In my group we're all "seasoned" gamers; still, in the beginning it helped to pause the game, when Triumph/Despair came up, to shortly discuss possible outcomes apart from upgrade here, downgrade there, or crits.

Here's a link to the Beginner Game follow-up.

Don't just read (and re-read) the adventure material. Take your own notes so you can run the game without the book in front of you. Consulting a short note is far faster than diving into a large block of text. This will speed up the game immensely. It will also give you good practice on how to write up custom storylines as you progress.