How many copies do you need?

By huud007, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I haven't seen it mentioned, but how many copies of the game should you purchase? With Game of Thrones and Netrunner, you needed multiple copies to have three of certain cards. Do we think this will be the case with Arkham?

Man, I hope not. Don't mind spending money, but multiple purchases of the same product is a horrible strategy they need to abandon.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but how many copies of the game should you purchase? With Game of Thrones and Netrunner, you needed multiple copies to have three of certain cards. Do we think this will be the case with Arkham?

A playset of cards in this one is only 2, so a 2nd copy of the core set will give you a full playset of all cards.

2 for a playset

As far as I know, one is enough to play with two players, but if you want to play with three or four, you need an additional copy

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

This is the topic that makes me not want to buy the game, even though I am looking forward to it and will end up doing so. It's probably the only thing I dislike about FFG main sets, having to buy more than one copy to get the max allowable cards per hand.

The waste involved in getting duplicates for a lot of stuff you don't need duplicates for is a total pain.

We'll have to see how it actually plays out once the game and a few expansions are released. It might not be necessary once you get a few extra skills from packs, since a full set is only two cards. But knowing FFG the first expansion won't be in most people's hands until February, so they'll sell a bunch of cores until then :/

I will not mind the multiple cores so long as the amount of duplication is kept to a reasonable amount. 2 cores and some duplication ok, Netrunners 3 cores to get 3 of a handful of cards was a bit over the top.

Ideally this would mean that the majority of cards are singles with play-sets reserved for a subset (and mainly neutrals). Having a second set of encounter cards may be unfortunate, but might allow multiple scenario decks to be built up during the first cycle.

While I get the optimisation balancing act of getting out-of-box experience, variety and consistency right, it will be interesting to see what it takes to make the core set "complete".