Deckard's gun = bolt pistol?

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

In the movie 'Blade runner' Deckard carried a farily large pistol that seemed to fire exploding projectiles. Does anyo e else think it was roughly equal o a bolt pistol? It was buikt to takr out replicants who were generally tougher abd strobger than humans. I wobder if it wss mesnt to be kire piwerful than a normal gun meant to wotk on humans.

I'd think it is closer to a hand cannon ... but then again, pretty much the only thing that separates a bolt pistol from a hand cannon is, in principle, the miniature rocket in the projectile.

Hand Cannon is just a high-caliber pistol. Powder or analog + solid slug of some type. Bolt pistol fires rocket-propelled and explosive ammunition.

Well, there's no reason you couldn't shoot explosive rounds with a hand cannon either. Just depends on the special ammunition !

Technically speaking, a bolt pistol is just a high-tech hand cannon with a special "blast compensator" to divert part of the the missile's plume. The bolt is even launched conventionally, with the rocket motor only kicking in after the projectile has cleared the barrel -- or at least that's how the 2E Wargear explained it in detail.

Edited by Lynata

Just depends on the special ammunition !

Uhm. Strange video. Glock 17 isn't full auto, it's Glock 18. And incendiary isn't explosive, smallest rounds with explosive compaund are .50 BMG .

It's a modified Glock 17, according to the guy; I assume the fully automatic fire is part of the modification.

You are correct in that it's actually just incendiary rounds, though; he says so in the vid (and in retrospect it should have been obvious). I guess I allowed myself to get misled by the title, and by not watching the entire video before linking it.

I'm actually surprised that - according to google - there's no explosive ammunition available for 9x19mm, if only because somebody is bound to buy that sort of stuff. That being said, in Dark Heresy terms, the Glock 17 would be more akin to a normal stub automatic, anyways, whereas the hand cannon would be more like this . Which brings us full circle. ;)

Well, in the shot where he fired at batty and missed, deckkards shot clearly exploded when it hit the wall, so that's why i aimed because it was firing explosive shot.

It's a modified Glock 17, according to the guy; I assume the fully automatic fire is part of the modification.

You are correct in that it's actually just incendiary rounds, though; he says so in the vid (and in retrospect it should have been obvious). I guess I allowed myself to get misled by the title, and by not watching the entire video before linking it.

I'm actually surprised that - according to google - there's no explosive ammunition available for 9x19mm, if only because somebody is bound to buy that sort of stuff. That being said, in Dark Heresy terms, the Glock 17 would be more akin to a normal stub automatic, anyways, whereas the hand cannon would be more like this . Which brings us full circle. ;)

Legal concerns perhaps.

http://www.weaponslaw.org/weapons/exploding-bullets

http://gun.laws.com/ammunition/ammunition-illegal-and-controversial-ammunition

Legal concerns perhaps.

Hoh, yeah. Good point. Professional forces have no need of HE-firing pistols (yet), and civilian "enthusiasts" would in most countries not be supposed to have them, so no company would see a need to develop this stuff. Makes sense.

Professional forces have no need of HE-firing pistols (yet)

They would not need this things. Look at 9-mm bullet size: how much explosive can be placed there? In real life "personal" firearms explosive ammo is limited to at least 20-mm: anti-material rifles such as NTW-20, APH-20 and RT-20 - they use aircraft gun or anti-aircraft gun rounds. Mk.211 Mod.0 .50 BMG is the only exception that I know - and this ammunition has some problem with legality, yes.

Well, I'm sure it's just a matter of using effective explosives; supposedly, only 6 grams of penthite would suffice to "blast a hole in a metal plate twice the thickness of an aircraft's skin" (in fact, some sources claim penthite was used for 20mm aircraft shells in WW2), and in the future more powerful explosives may be devised.

But as you said, and as I said before, it's also a simple matter of need. Right now there is no reason to field such guns. But considering that we are slowly approaching an era of drone warfare and powered exoskeletons, some day that may change ...

Yep, that's the one!

And now I find myself wondering what these little babies are using...

And now I find myself wondering what these little babies are using...

I know about them but have never seen specifications. Well, 12ga is 18.5 mm, so you can push a lot inside of it.