UFS Pro Tour Circuit- Can We Revive The Dead?

By jasco games, in UFS General Discussion

This discussion has been moved to the following thread:

Reviving the dead - or UFS on life support

by dwolf52000

please consolidate all players in support of keeping UFS alive. For everyone else, please keep your posts out of this thread.

Oh yeah! If you post your response here that may be okay, but I don't know when they will be shutting down this forum.

you know you have my vote buddy.

Thanks Steven.

If its still on, I will definitely attend the Austin Pro Tour tournament. :)

I just sent an email giving you my support.

I would be in on a player committee. Virtual decks et all. Just tell me where to sign up.

With FFG dropping UFS, I think building cubes will definitely be the way to go for the forceable future. I also would love to see someone else pick up the license, even if they could only print off promos and the like. Expect an e-mail soon.

ill help :) you know my email

Hey guys. I believe that a UFS pro tour is still a viable option. The weight of a games' finality is tough to bear for any one person, but in numbers it becomes diminished (yea I know I just went disney for a momment). This IS an amazing game; thats right I said IS and not WAS; and you will not hear me refer to it in a past tense in this post. There is still a strong desire to play it, we just need to re-invision how that might come to pass. Evolve the current system into something more pallatable to the players, designed and tweaked BY the players. Don't like how the concept of diversity works? Alter it. Not satified with the prize support? Have the players themselves decide what they put in and what comes out. Don't agree with a rules interaction? Bring it before a democratically elected rules arbiter(s) and they will have the power to enact immediate resolution. These are all just examples, but they make a point. That point being that the best tool for any CCG is its players. They know more than any CCG CEO, lead designer, or marketing chief. They know what they want. They know almost every possible interaction of cards through sheer numbers and devotion of time. Players are what make or break a game.

With that in mind, how do we go about organizing a UFS Pro Tour? Jason, a.k.a. Jasco Games, has laid wonderful groundwork and put in a lot of effort to get it started. The concept is sound, it's just the details that need to get changed. Assuming of course that there will be no future sets and promo prize distribution, the prize support will need to be altered. Now what I'm about to suggest may seem like poison to some of you, but it's not totally unreasonable to consider money as a viable prize. Cash prizes based on the number of entrants. Of course the first counter-argument people make when hearing this is usually that it will degenerate the game, make it more cutthroat and attract douchbags like MTG. Let me first say that this game is not MTG. Before quitting MTG I played it for quite a while. I've made more PTQ top 8's then I can count, won a regionals, and went to Nationals (which was AWESOME btw). When you sit down at a table across from a magic pro like Antonio DeRosa, while a camera crew is taping you, and hand his ass to him in draft after he tries to rules lawyer you into a game loss - its like your floating on cloud nine. I quit MTG because I didn't like the direction it was going. While playing it felt more like a job then something fun. I ended up going 100% UFS and I never looked back. Not only could I play against intelligent people with creative decks, giving me an analytical challenge I couldn't pass up, but I was having FUN doing it! It was amazing. UFS players are much more laid back and social, so I'm really not afraid of the consequences of having cash as a prize.

The beauty of this is that cash doesn't have to be the only prize. If we put our heads together I'm sure we could round up some amazing stuff. While I'm not sure what they are allowed to distribute, I'll bet FFG still has unreleased promos and items that will make more than a few players drool if they were willing to give them up. Secondly we have the concept of card creation. What if it was possible for someone who wins a "large" tournament, whatever it may be, to either create their own character and have it printed by Jasco Games, or if that would introduce too many new characters per year their own action/asset/foundation/attack. It would have to pass a quality control test by rules arbitars to make sure it wouldn't break the game, but the idea and favor would be uniquely yours. Since there would be no Street Fighter or other franchises involved, just permission from FFG is needed to use their template. Lastly we have donations, which I feel could be a big part of a revived Pro Tour. Having extra UFS cards or an old deck lying around? Donate it to prize support. It could be almost anything you could think of that players would like. I was planning on keeping this a secret, but I don't mind anymore. I was talking with a few about donating my Nintendo Wii, two controllers, Prince of Persia, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl as prize support/raffle fodder for the California Pro Tour. Play a little SSBB in between rounds/at the end of the night them give it away in the tournament; sounds awesome to me. If we do somehow get a CA Pro Tour rolling and barring some emergency/act of god, I will be there and you can hold me to my word that I will donate that Wii. On a sidenote, I've already shot off an email a while ago to Jason explaining why, but I still think the best venue would be Kastle Games in Santa Clara. End of sidenote.

I hope everyone dicusses and even argues about this a lot. The only way it's going to be perfected is with player input, and the first idea of anything is never perfect. If anyone has any questions or wants to bounce ideas, my email is [email protected].

Cheers,
Tader Salad
Sean Toysa

Perhaps my swan song was a bit premature? I will email you shortly, man! I'm on board with anything that keeps this game going!

For realz!

If you can do it I think you should, I'd love to see this game revived in the near future.

Anyways, I've sent you an email. You have my support, and I'm sure that extends to everyone in colchester.

Seriously dude we need 2 do this i just cant bear 2 see this game go under like this...

My Email is [email protected] and my Aim is the same so if you need anything dont hesitate to ask....i dont know what i can do out here in VA but ill do what i can

If you're serious about this, man. I'm all in. I just sent you an email. I'm cutting and pasting your email addy and sending it to my playgroup.

Tader Salad said:

Hey guys. I believe that a UFS pro tour is still a viable option. The weight of a games' finality is tough to bear for any one person, but in numbers it becomes diminished (yea I know I just went disney for a momment). This IS an amazing game; thats right I said IS and not WAS; and you will not hear me refer to it in a past tense in this post. There is still a strong desire to play it, we just need to re-invision how that might come to pass. Evolve the current system into something more pallatable to the players, designed and tweaked BY the players. Don't like how the concept of diversity works? Alter it. Not satified with the prize support? Have the players themselves decide what they put in and what comes out. Don't agree with a rules interaction? Bring it before a democratically elected rules arbiter(s) and they will have the power to enact immediate resolution. These are all just examples, but they make a point. That point being that the best tool for any CCG is its players. They know more than any CCG CEO, lead designer, or marketing chief. They know what they want. They know almost every possible interaction of cards through sheer numbers and devotion of time. Players are what make or break a game.

With that in mind, how do we go about organizing a UFS Pro Tour? Jason, a.k.a. Jasco Games, has laid wonderful groundwork and put in a lot of effort to get it started. The concept is sound, it's just the details that need to get changed. Assuming of course that there will be no future sets and promo prize distribution, the prize support will need to be altered. Now what I'm about to suggest may seem like poison to some of you, but it's not totally unreasonable to consider money as a viable prize. Cash prizes based on the number of entrants. Of course the first counter-argument people make when hearing this is usually that it will degenerate the game, make it more cutthroat and attract douchbags like MTG. Let me first say that this game is not MTG. Before quitting MTG I played it for quite a while. I've made more PTQ top 8's then I can count, won a regionals, and went to Nationals (which was AWESOME btw). When you sit down at a table across from a magic pro like Antonio DeRosa, while a camera crew is taping you, and hand his ass to him in draft after he tries to rules lawyer you into a game loss - its like your floating on cloud nine. I quit MTG because I didn't like the direction it was going. While playing it felt more like a job then something fun. I ended up going 100% UFS and I never looked back. Not only could I play against intelligent people with creative decks, giving me an analytical challenge I couldn't pass up, but I was having FUN doing it! It was amazing. UFS players are much more laid back and social, so I'm really not afraid of the consequences of having cash as a prize.

The beauty of this is that cash doesn't have to be the only prize. If we put our heads together I'm sure we could round up some amazing stuff. While I'm not sure what they are allowed to distribute, I'll bet FFG still has unreleased promos and items that will make more than a few players drool if they were willing to give them up. Secondly we have the concept of card creation. What if it was possible for someone who wins a "large" tournament, whatever it may be, to either create their own character and have it printed by Jasco Games, or if that would introduce too many new characters per year their own action/asset/foundation/attack. It would have to pass a quality control test by rules arbitars to make sure it wouldn't break the game, but the idea and favor would be uniquely yours. Since there would be no Street Fighter or other franchises involved, just permission from FFG is needed to use their template. Lastly we have donations, which I feel could be a big part of a revived Pro Tour. Having extra UFS cards or an old deck lying around? Donate it to prize support. It could be almost anything you could think of that players would like. I was planning on keeping this a secret, but I don't mind anymore. I was talking with a few about donating my Nintendo Wii, two controllers, Prince of Persia, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl as prize support/raffle fodder for the California Pro Tour. Play a little SSBB in between rounds/at the end of the night them give it away in the tournament; sounds awesome to me. If we do somehow get a CA Pro Tour rolling and barring some emergency/act of god, I will be there and you can hold me to my word that I will donate that Wii. On a sidenote, I've already shot off an email a while ago to Jason explaining why, but I still think the best venue would be Kastle Games in Santa Clara. End of sidenote.

I hope everyone dicusses and even argues about this a lot. The only way it's going to be perfected is with player input, and the first idea of anything is never perfect. If anyone has any questions or wants to bounce ideas, my email is [email protected].

Cheers,
Tader Salad
Sean Toysa

Sean, you make very good points. I do not agree, however, with cash prizes being a viable option. Sure, it might attract players to this game, but i think it would introduce an element of unsportsmanlike conduct that UFS has blessedly been fortunate enough to avoid.

I am all for alternate prizes, however. PS3s, XBoxes, etc...yaaaay! :)

Also, i am a HUGE proponent of there being a UFS Pro Circuit, and i agree that an awesome prize for a winner of one of these tournaments would be their very own character card.

I know i'd like one! :)

Steve has promised to call me this week if not next week at the latest to discuss Jasco Games taking over the rights to the game, and about us ordering hundreds of dollars of inventory from their Christmas sale, and then discontinuing all 3 ccg's that I ordered from. I will keep everyone posted as to how this goes, and I am still waiting to hear from 400 something of you to make sure that taking this license is a good idea.

Jason

So what are you exactly going to do after you "take over the rights to the game"? Print and sell the cards or just have online sets that players can download and print?

I am putting everything under consideration. I will aim firstly to print the cards, and if that doesn't work right off the back, I will go to my next option and keep doing so until it works. We will try to expand from there.

I was also wondering what you planned to do if you got the rights to the game... would you create a new sets?
How would the game return etc?
If the game was revived you would have the support of at least myself and 3-4 other players that I know of.

All further discussion about reviving the game will be held in dwolf52000's thread about reviving the game. we need to consolidate. I will answer every one's questions there one at a time.

jasco games said:

I am putting everything under consideration. I will aim firstly to print the cards, and if that doesn't work right off the back, I will go to my next option and keep doing so until it works. We will try to expand from there.

jasco games said:

Well if your printing cards then you will be selling them? If your getting money for the cards then your going to need the licenses for the games you are using. And I don't see SF, SC, etc loaning out their licenses to you (and doubt that anyone could even afford them). So without any licenses your going to have to come up with some new type of IP to use for the game (which would also then mean creating your own art work for the cards). And if you don't plan on selling them that is still a lot of cash going into printing cards that you won't be making money on. To me this seems like to much work and money to go through when you could just do what Star Wars, Raw Deal, etc Player Committiees have done. I understand that you want to save the game but doing something bold like this could put the game in an even worse position and IMO has a large chance of failure.

First thing first, we get shadow war, and after that we build until we can afford the next game. I may have to start with smaller licenses and work my way up to the big boys, but I do think we can make this work. And players committees are still an option if this is rejected. I will not stand in the way of players supporting this game.

If we in fact do get the rights, I will have to get sponsoring and probably set up a donation bin online. otherwise I will look at all of the details once Steve calls me back, and work from there.