BJZSN's Custom Classes

By BJZSN, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So it was suggested to me that I should make a thread with all my custom classes available plus other classes I found online from other people but without cards done up, so thats exactly what I'm doing. I'll still make threads for new classes, but it will end up on this thread as well. Also some of my older classes will have had some changes made. But i'm going back to the old threads to update the links so you'll find the up to date files on all threads.

Edit: I can't change the thread title, I just wanted to say my intention is not to take credit for the classes I did not create. I just happen to be a big fan of them, so I made cards for them and I've posted links to the original forum. If the creators want me to remove the files from this thread just message me.

Edit: I've posted all the card changes of the various classes to the Dropbox link. These changes are effectively the 2.0 of these classes so if you've been using them before then you should check them out again. I feel I've managed to make a lot of underused cards more viable and wording is more clear in general. Happy hunting!

Here's the link to all the classes. Look for the folder "BJZSN's Custom Classes " located in the "BJZSN's Custom Content" folder :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/odx5l47ypog6y89/AABZJBksn4UcH94OYT9lxhFSa?dl=0

Below is an overview of what's available:

Warrior

Barbarian

Cavalier

Martial Artist

Sentinel

Tactician

Healer

Artificer - Credits to Erik Burigo for creating the original class: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1381303/custom-made-healer-artificer

Blacksmith

Druid - Credits to Andrew Fillhart for creating the original class: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1112277/custom-hero-druid

Jeweler

Martyr - Credits to Zaltyre for creating the original class: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1413048/custom-healer-class-martyr

Rune Knight

Scout

Assassin

Gambler

Ninja

Pirate

Sharpshooter

Mage

Blood Mage

Chronomancer

Psychic - Credits to Zaltyre for creating the original class: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412764/custom-mage-class-psychic

Pyromancer

Shapeshifter

Spellblade

Tinkerer - Made this one for a friend, not the most original and unfortunately you'll need your own figures for the summons. Included it just because.

Edited by BJZSN

Nice, thanks dude :)

Woah, wonderful!

A new section within the Index of Useful Links (IUL) has been created called Community Custom Classes . A link to this thread has been provided. In addition, I posted a comment in the IUL suggestion that all users with custom classes create a new thread (patterned after the excellent layout of this thread), and I would create links for them in the IUL. This way, all custom classes could be found via the IUL, rather than having to rely on FFG's search function.

Long time lurker here. Love the work you have put in your classes. I finally ordered them all from printer studio. I do have a question though. As far as I have understood skills don't work while the hero is knocked out. Is it intented for Tacticians skill "down but not out" to work while the tactician is knocked out?

Long time lurker here. Love the work you have put in your classes. I finally ordered them all from printer studio. I do have a question though. As far as I have understood skills don't work while the hero is knocked out. Is it intented for Tacticians skill "down but not out" to work while the tactician is knocked out?

Unfortunately the Tactician's 'Down But Not Out' skill does not apply while he is knocked out.

Are there shared files for printer studio or do we need to build those ourselves?

Are there shared files for printer studio or do we need to build those ourselves?

Each class folder in the dropbox link has 2 folders, 'Finished Cards' and 'Printer Studio Cards'. The files in the 'Printer Studio Cards' folders are sized for the mini card print on printer studio site. Here's a link to them.

http://www.printerstudio.ca/customized/custom-blank-playing-cards-mini-size.html

Edit: I think I missed what you meant. I do not have saved projects for printerstudio to use. You will have to download the files and set them up yourself.

Edited by BJZSN

Each class folder in the dropbox link has 2 folders, 'Finished Cards' and 'Printer Studio Cards'. The files in the 'Printer Studio Cards' folders are sized for the mini card print on printer studio site. Here's a link to them.

http://www.printerstudio.ca/customized/custom-blank-playing-cards-mini-size.html

Edit: I think I missed what you meant. I do not have saved projects for printerstudio to use. You will have to download the files and set them up yourself.

Hello!

I wanted to ask: these classes are tested?

Consider which of these "finished" and which still to "fix"?

Hello!

I wanted to ask: these classes are tested?

Consider which of these "finished" and which still to "fix"?

First, let me state that I was one of those people that felt like there was plenty to offer in Descent and its expansions, except for hero classes. I mean there are a nice amount, don't get me wrong. But I love having a huge selection, so I made cards for these classes that I've had ideas for. The big thing here is I tend to post these ideas that I have without doing the proper testing. I feel I have a good understanding of the game mechanics to make classes that aren't out right broken. But without proper testing, you certainly won't catch everything. Truth be told I just don't have the time to go through each of the classes I've done up. I just make em to the point where I feel its good enough to print off cards for. If during a quest something comes up with the class I make a note of it and eventually I update the class. Sounds lazy, but that's just my style.

That said, I have gone through the older classes several times and made changes. As far as 'completed' classes go (as far tested as I have had the time for), here's a list of what I think are for the most part finished:

Warrior

Martial Artist

Sentinel

Healer

Druid

Martyr

Scout

Ninja

Pirate

Sharpshooter

Mage

Blood Mage

Psychic

Pyromancer

Of course if people post their own experiences with some classes, it might show me an oversight that I missed, or even just getting an idea for a better version of an existing skill, etc. The biggest part of me posting these classes was to get insight from the community. So if you see something that's not quite up to snuff with a class (even a 'finished' class) by all means post your take on it. Any input helps me overall.

Edited by BJZSN

We're currently playing a full campaign using Ninja, Druid and Pyromancer. Jury is still out, but so far we find

The druid to be very well balanced, conceptually interesting, albeit possibly a little boring to play.

The ninja generally ok, maybe the weaker of the three. Part of it is due to the fact that while his starting ability is nice, the other feel not particularly useful in general.

The pyromancer seems the strongest of the mages we have played, with the possible exception of the geomancer with stun. Piercing 3 (even for a fatigue) is super powerful, and the fact that the target needs to be burning is a little limitation, since you want pierce on the big monsters anyhow, and those you will be attacking more than once anyhow. We just selected the 3 square path attack, but haven't tested it yet.

We'll adjourn.

I wanted to provide some feedback on the Spell Blade and then the Tactician.

I was using Lyssa as the spell blade and her abilities plus class abilities combined to create a powerful hero. This was definitely the most powerful custom class out of the four I used. The only skill I consider weak in the entire class is probably Deft Strike. I used the following skills:

Mana Font - I used this skill continuously, especially the ability to add a surge if one was not rolled. Only Lyssa's lower knowledge slowed this skill down.

Channeling - Lyssa attacked a lot so I did not use this skill much but it was handy when I did

Magic conversion - This skill + Lyssa's ability + dire flail = Act II weapon early in Act I. This was a powerful combination in deed.

Specialization - The extra +2 wounds and bleeding was critical at times

Radiant Enchantment - Helped the other heroes target stealthy monsters easier. The extra surge also proved crucial at times when using the doom hammer to get the +4 wounds

Electric Charge - This skill may be slightly over powered. Allowing more targets and pierce is a formidable skill. Perhaps the pierce should be capped at 1 or 2?

I also used the Tactician. I found the tactician to be a good class and overall, with the exception of one skill, it did not seem over powered.

Flanking - I rarely used this skill. It seemed like a weak starting skill.

Lead the Way - I used this skill some. It just was not always a good exchange. Maliki = speed of 5. So counting the fatigue cost, I was giving up 7 MP to gain 6 MP's on average. Although the skill says spaces not MP so that can be advantageous. Regardless, helped to position other heroes for things at times.

Down but not out - Good skill

Assault - I did not use since it would cost an action and 2 fatigue to gain 2 attacks. Really only 1 action gain. This skill could make a difference if the right heroes needed to attack.

Armor Expertise - Good skill, very useful

Adaptability - This was the tactician skill I used the most. Basically the hero gains an attack action for every three OL cards played. Also healing with every OL card is a good benefit as well. This skill is definitely a good value for only 1 XP. It may be slightly OP?

Once again, thanks for all of your work.

Dan Howell

We're currently playing a full campaign using Ninja, Druid and Pyromancer. Jury is still out, but so far we find

The druid to be very well balanced, conceptually interesting, albeit possibly a little boring to play.

The ninja generally ok, maybe the weaker of the three. Part of it is due to the fact that while his starting ability is nice, the other feel not particularly useful in general.

The pyromancer seems the strongest of the mages we have played, with the possible exception of the geomancer with stun. Piercing 3 (even for a fatigue) is super powerful, and the fact that the target needs to be burning is a little limitation, since you want pierce on the big monsters anyhow, and those you will be attacking more than once anyhow. We just selected the 3 square path attack, but haven't tested it yet.

We'll adjourn.

After reading your post, I gotta say that I agree with everything you've said. The Druid isn't particularly 'exciting' though I wish it was, the Ninja (I've found) is one of my weaker custom classes for sure, and certain parts of the Pyromancer are a little strong.

At the very least I hope you enjoyed using the classes, but I'm considering revising the Druid a bit to make it more exciting, and definitely reworking the Ninja (I feel some skills are fine the way they are, but a fair number of them need changes). I like Pyro the way it is, but agree that some cards may need just some slight tweaks.

Thanks for your input!

I wanted to provide some feedback on the Spell Blade and then the Tactician.

I was using Lyssa as the spell blade and her abilities plus class abilities combined to create a powerful hero. This was definitely the most powerful custom class out of the four I used. The only skill I consider weak in the entire class is probably Deft Strike. I used the following skills:

Mana Font - I used this skill continuously, especially the ability to add a surge if one was not rolled. Only Lyssa's lower knowledge slowed this skill down.

Channeling - Lyssa attacked a lot so I did not use this skill much but it was handy when I did

Magic conversion - This skill + Lyssa's ability + dire flail = Act II weapon early in Act I. This was a powerful combination in deed.

Specialization - The extra +2 wounds and bleeding was critical at times

Radiant Enchantment - Helped the other heroes target stealthy monsters easier. The extra surge also proved crucial at times when using the doom hammer to get the +4 wounds

Electric Charge - This skill may be slightly over powered. Allowing more targets and pierce is a formidable skill. Perhaps the pierce should be capped at 1 or 2?

I also used the Tactician. I found the tactician to be a good class and overall, with the exception of one skill, it did not seem over powered.

Flanking - I rarely used this skill. It seemed like a weak starting skill.

Lead the Way - I used this skill some. It just was not always a good exchange. Maliki = speed of 5. So counting the fatigue cost, I was giving up 7 MP to gain 6 MP's on average. Although the skill says spaces not MP so that can be advantageous. Regardless, helped to position other heroes for things at times.

Down but not out - Good skill

Assault - I did not use since it would cost an action and 2 fatigue to gain 2 attacks. Really only 1 action gain. This skill could make a difference if the right heroes needed to attack.

Armor Expertise - Good skill, very useful

Adaptability - This was the tactician skill I used the most. Basically the hero gains an attack action for every three OL cards played. Also healing with every OL card is a good benefit as well. This skill is definitely a good value for only 1 XP. It may be slightly OP?

Once again, thanks for all of your work.

Dan Howell

I hope the Spell Blade felt like a mix of Might and Magic and not just another 'Warrior class but not'. You mention that it was quite powerful for you, not too powerful I hope.

Deft Strike - Perhaps the card is in need of a slight buff (or I shudder to think that all the other cards need a nerf)

Mana Font - I feel maybe it is too easy to get surges with this starting card. Granted it only works on attacks that roll no surges, and still requires a test. Even then though, surges shouldn't be super easy to get. I may take a look at this skill again.

Channeling: I like Channeling for the fact that if you don't get the opportunity to attack during your turn, its not completely wasted. It's like some power is carried over for your next turn.

Magic Conversion: Yeah that's quite a powerful combination. I still think I'd keep the skill the way it is anyways. I hate writing skills with certain heroes in mind.

Specialization: I really like this skill. Hopefully the high cost offset the strong effect.

Radiant Enchantment: I feel that I may have made this card too strong (at least for the second paragraph). Yes the chaining of extra attacks relies on Master monsters to kill, but I'm not sure yet. I may look into this card again.

Electric Charge: I actually feel it's not too bad myself. For one thing, it requires monster adjacency to work best, which the Overlord can work around. Also spending heavily in this skill does not neccessarily make it stronger, as I feel that higher numbers of Pierce has diminishing returns. Just my 2 cents.

I'm glad the Tactician didn't turn out OP for you. I do agree with some of the things you mentioned about the class.

Flanking: I was trying to make Flanking a free to use skill that wasn't too strong. Almost like an extra free effect he can do while doing his own thing. Maybe I can change the effect to be more appealing to use without making it too strong.

Lead the Way: Yes this is quite the situational skill eh? I suspect I would get different input from multiple players on this skill since its dependant on the gameplay style of the hero team. The only thing I wonder is if the Fatigue cost is too steep or not.

Down But Not Out: I'm interested that you liked this skill. Not that its a bad skill or anything, just that to get the most of this skill, you have to already be in a pretty bad spot. Still, if it works, it works.

Assault: I feel this card is not strong enough. I like the actual mechanic of trading attack actions to others, but for a 3XP skill, I feel it needs a little more oomph. I'll be taking a look at this card in the near future.

Armor Expertise: I agree, quite the useful skill at 0 cost. Don't think I'll be changing this one.

Adaptability: I agree, reading this card it almost feels like a 2XP card. That said you are at the mercy of the Overlord playing Overlord cards to get the effect (though that'll happen anyways) and can be gamed since the tokens dont carry over between encounters. I like the skill, but may need a slight tweak.

Thanks for the input, it's been a while but I think its time I went back and looked at some of the classes again.

I've posted all the card changes of the various classes to the Dropbox link. These changes are effectively the 2.0 of these classes so if you've been using them before then you should check them out again. I feel I've managed to make a lot of underused cards more viable and wording is more clear in general. Happy hunting!

Edited by BJZSN

the dropbox here doesn't work, are those classes changed/somewhere else?

On 2/6/2020 at 7:54 PM, Grimstringer said:

the dropbox here doesn't work, are those classes changed/somewhere

Did you looked on bgg ? (board game geek ?)

Before the link was broken, I was able to take take all of BJZSN's custom stuff and recreate it. Most of his classes are in this link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/skgwdfesqbhn8cs/Printing Directions and Card Links.pdf?dl=0 ). Some were modified slightly. Some not at all. Others were combined with ideas from other members of the community. Of note - my custom class amalgamations include my own creations as well as ideas from a variety of other members which were never fully realized in card form.

I've still got some of his classes in production and further playtesting and editing, but they'll all be there at some point.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, gksozae said:

Before the link was broken, I was able to take take all of BJZSN's custom stuff and recreate it. Most of his classes are in this link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/skgwdfesqbhn8cs/Printing Directions and Card Links.pdf?dl=0 ). Some were modified slightly. Some not at all. Others were combined with ideas from other members of the community. Of note - my custom class amalgamations include my own creations as well as ideas from a variety of other members which were never fully realized in card form.

I've still got some of his classes in production and further playtesting and editing, but they'll all be there at some point.

Great work !

I saw some troubles on wording, should I show them here or on the dropbox ?