Replay potential

By Exhausted Token, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I noticed that the location cards and encounter cards have a number followed by a slash and a second number. I'm not looking at the image at the moment but I think the Attic card said 7/16 near the bottom right corner. Anyone surmise the meaning? I've not played LotR so this number system might already exist for FFG and the meaning is simple. I wonder if that could be the number of the location card within a 16 card location set. Or, better yet, there could eventually be multiple attic cards (16) that you randomly choose from. What say you all?

I don't see 16 attics coming in the core set... it looks more like a progressive number

That would be a lot of Attics, more than I find believable. It may be a number within the set of cards for that quest, no telling really whether it's specifically locations or what - we're just guessing.

It's possible that future set could have more Attics but the problem with this is that you start running out of location names as you have to be careful to avoid collisions with ALL prior sets or else be very careful not to introduce weird interactions. If they DID want to allow a mechanic where future Attics would join a general Attic-pool then I expect you'd quickly see the names get more specific to control the interactions. So if a particular card wasn't appropriate to mix in it would be named "Spooky Attic" or "Dark Attic" or something. Honestly, this seems cumbersome and error-prone so I would not anticipate it. Once a given quest is printed, it's probably done. But that's OK because you get another one every month :)

In other LCGs, we've seen that sort of numbering when there is a group/set of cards. For example, in the Warlord sets ("signature squads") for Conquest, the cards are numbered "X of 9," and the cards in the objective sets for Star Wars, the cards are numbered "X of 6." The pertinent thing for this discussion, though, is that not all cards in the set have the same title (or the same type, stats, etc.)

So while the "7/19" almost certainly suggests The Attic is part of a set, it seems unlikely to me that it would be a set of cards all called "The Attic." It is more likely a set of all locations, monsters, etc., that the Mythos brings to that scenario. That's just an educated guess based on that sort of "numbered sets" in other LCGs, but at this point, there's no telling for sure.

My guess is that it's the set of all cards unique to the first scenario, as 16 seems way too large for a reusable encounter set.

That said, we probably will see the same location back on multiple cards to make traveling more unpredictable--There's a reason they're double-sided! It probably won't be the case for every scenario, but I'd be surprised if we went an entire cycle without seeing it.

In LotR, all the cards of a same encounter set are numbered like this. And if there is more than one card with the same name, all of them are numbered consecutively, so if if there are two "Orc trooper" in an encounter set of 19 cards, their numbers could be "5/19" and "6/19".

I guess FFG used the same numbering system here.

In LoTR the locations were mixed in with the encounter deck, in AH they are not.

Instead you set aside the locations you need for the scenario.

We already know that a random weakness is added to your deck.

There is no reason to think they won't apply a similar approach to locations.

We may not see it in the core set, but if a future pack has a scenario that takes place in an attic we may get an alternative version then. It's a way of adding more replayability to older scenarios.

We may not see it in the core set, but if a future pack has a scenario that takes place in an attic we may get an alternative version then. It's a way of adding more replayability to older scenarios.

That's unlikely. LotR didn't add cards to encounter sets in future packs, because the encounter decks were meant to be set in stone. Nobody wants to buy an expansion that makes them more likely to lose, after all, and the devs probably don't want to balance the scenarios based on every possible combination of scenario-changing Mythos packs. For players who want a fresh take on old scenarios, we'll likely see a Mythos version of the LotR Nightmare decks.

Besides, the cards in that encounter set all say X/16. They can't add additional cards in future packs, because then they'd have cards that read 17/16, which is just weird. :rolleyes:

In LoTR the locations were mixed in with the encounter deck, in AH they are not.

Instead you set aside the locations you need for the scenario.

Nevertheless, I see no reason why that means they can't be numbered as part of a series of cards required for setup of the scenario. I'm not saying I know the answers here but I find that rather more likely than the possibility of there being 16 attic cards. Maybe 16 locations total in the core set, but while that would make the numbers meaningful I'm mot sure it would make them very useful.

It's not out of the question that a new scenario would come along that takes place in an attic, so there would be a card called "The Attic" in that encounter set, too. However, it seems very unlikely to me that just because the cards share the same name, they could be substituted for each other in the different encounter sets (or whatever they are called in AH).

I, too, don't believe there will be 16 attic cards in the core set. I appreciate the replies about LoTR lcg and the required cards for a scenario or location group being a set number. Are there then random cards added to fill out the scenario? Since my OP I've seen treachery cards with X/7 on the card. Would that be a set number of cards in the encounter deck and the random cards added to fill out the deck? So many questions. I need that next update!

I, too, don't believe there will be 16 attic cards in the core set. I appreciate the replies about LoTR lcg and the required cards for a scenario or location group being a set number. Are there then random cards added to fill out the scenario? Since my OP I've seen treachery cards with X/7 on the card. Would that be a set number of cards in the encounter deck and the random cards added to fill out the deck? So many questions. I need that next update!

That's because each scenario, rather than having one set of encounter cards, is made up of a selection of smaller sets. For instance, the basic core scenario "A Passage Through Mirkwood" shuffles three sets of encounter cards to make its deck: a selection of goblin/dol-gulder-themed cards, a selection of spider-themed cards and a selection of forest themed cards. These sets may then be required in other scenarios. For instance the adventure pack "Return To Mirkwood" uses (I think...) the same set of spider enemies but adds a bunch of it's own scenario-specific encounter cards. The quest setup cards have a row of icons on them, and for each icon you shuffle in the corresponding set of cards.

OK. Now it's making sense. Thanks!