Toenail's Latari Elves

By Supertoe, in BattleLore

Box 1: Guardians of the Amyhelin

Deepwood Archers (9 figures)
2/2/3 4-cost 4 range
Infantry-Ranged-Archer

Crack Shot: When a [lore] result is rolled, before committing any dice, deal 1 damage to the enemy per lore rolled, then reroll the dice with lore results, without repeating the Crack Shot process again.

Darnati Warrior (12 figures)
2/2/4
Infantry- Melee

[Heroic]-Overpower: Spend X+1 lore to deal X damage (Max X=3. Limit once per attack.).

Knight of the Tears (9 figures)
3/3/3 6-cost 3-range
Cavalry-Ranged

Horseback Archer: This unit may perform an attack before moving. If they do, they cannot attack during the attack phase.

Expert Focus- When attacking, if no enemy units are adjacent to this unit, you may commit [heroic] results to cause one damage.

Blackwood Guardians (6 figures)
(These are half-tree, half-elf, protectors of Blackwood. Think Rune Golems for Latari)
2/3/3 6-cost
Melee-Elite

Thick Bark: Do not resolve damage dealt to this unit until after it resolves retreats. Before resolving damage, roll 2 dice. Cancel 1 damage for each result rolled.

[heroic]-Root Magic: Deal a root token to enemy. Rooted units may not move, cannot resolve retreats, and lose all abilities. Spend two to remove the root token when ordering the unit, just like every other condition token.

Forest Guardian (1 figure)
1/4/6 8-cost
Melee-Legend

Monstrous: This unit may not enter building hexes, and blocks line of sight for units on hills (but not Behemoths)

Branches: This unit may perform melee attacks against units two spaces away. These attacks may still be countered.

[heroic]-Crush: Deal one damage if the enemy isn't weak. Either way, deal one retreat.

Box 2: The Brightvale Elite

2/2/3 4-cost 4 range
Infantry-Ranged-Archer

Crack Shot: When a [lore] result is rolled, before committing any dice, deal 1 damage to the enemy per lore rolled, then reroll the dice with lore results. Do not repeat this process.

Laynwood Rangers (9 figures)
2/2/3 4-cost 3 range
Infantry-Archer-Ranged

Navigation: When this unit enters a hex that would end movement, do not end movement (unless it has no movement points left)

Hunters: At the start of the game, assign one "hunted" token to up to three enemy units, BEFORE the deployment cards are revealed. You only assign the tokens to three units, no matter how many units of Rangers you have. Hunted tokens may never be removed, except upon enemy death.

[heroic]- Hunting Instincts- When attacking a unit with a hunted token, deal 1 damage. You may commit any number of [retreat] results against units with a hunted token this combat to deal 1 damage each.

Storm Sorceresses (9 figures)
2/3/3 5-cost 3 range
Infantry-Ranged-Caster

[heroic]-Word of Vaal: Choose an enemy unit within two hexes. Move that unit one space in any direction. Then, a friendly unit may move up to one space, so long as it ends its move in the space just vacated. This is not a retreat, and so cannot cause damage. You may trigger this against supported units therefore.

[lore] Amplify- If this unit is within one space of a forest, gain one lore for each enemy unit within three hexes of this unit in line of sight of this unit. You MUST commit all lore dice to use Amplify. (Max 5 lore)

Leonx Rider (9 figures)
3/3/3
Calvary-Melee

[heroic]- Booming Roar: Enemy takes a "confused token". Units with a confused token are considered weak, and before countering, roll a die. On a pierce, strike, or cleave result, they counter as normal. On any other result, they suffer a damage and cannot counter. You may pay 2 lore following the same rules as a stun token to remove the confused token. A unit may not have more than one confused token.

Spear Throw- Instead of attacking normally, perform a 3 dice ranged attack against a unit at range 1-2. You may not trigger Booming Roar during this attack.

Pegasus Rider (1 figure)
3/3/5 8-cost
Melee-Legend

Flying

[heroic]-Inspire: Place a Leader token on a friendly unit within two hexes of this unit. Inspire tokens may be spent by the unit that has it to reroll two of their attack dice.

Edited by Toenail

Box 1: Guardians of the Amyhelin

2/2/3 4-cost 4 range

Infantry-Ranged-Archer

Crack Shot: When a [lore] result is rolled, before committing any dice, deal 1 damage to the enemy per lore rolled, then reroll the dice with lore results, repeating the Crack Shot process again.

2/3/3

Infantry- Melee

[Heroic]-Overpower: Spend X+1 lore to deal X damage (Max X=3).

3/3/3 6-cost 3-range

Cavalry-Ranged

Horseback Archer: This unit may perform an attack before moving. If they do, they cannot attack during the attack phase.

Expert Focus- When attacking, if no enemy units are adjacent to this unit, roll 1 extra dice. You may also commit [heroic] results to cause one damage.

I do have a question, though. Can this unit attack after other units have moved, but before it has moved? This can be a very powerful tactic as you can setup a scenario where a unit moves behind an enemy, then this unit attacks with the benefit of converting retreats to damage, and then it can move so that the first unit that was moved can attack and also convert retreats to damage. In a way, this is really not too different from using Riverwatch Riders, except that you avoid the counter by attacking before moving, rather than relying on Vigilant. Plus, while these guys get +1 die over the Riverwatch Riders, they only hit on [Pierce] results, so they seem decently balanced.

(These are half-tree, half-elf, protectors of Blackwood. Think Rune Golems for Latari)

2/3/3 6-cost

Melee-Elite

Thick Bark: Do not resolve damage dealt to this unit until after it resolves retreats. Before resolving damage, roll 2 dice. Cancel 1 damage for each or [pierce] result rolled.

[heroic]-Root Magic: Deal a root token to enemy. Rooted units may not move, cannot resolve retreats, and lose all abilities. Spend two to remove the root token when ordering the unit, just like every other condition token, except that your opponent may NOT remove it when you have a Guardian next to it.

I think the Root Magic ability is a great idea! It’s so easy to come up with abilities that augment damage, so it’s nice to see abilities that do something else. I like how this plays off the stun mechanic. Rooted units may still attack and counter attack, but unlike stun, they lose their abilities.

I’m not sure about Thick Bark. I see why you want to resolve it after retreats: because you want to be able to negate that damage as well. Consider that the Armor 1 ability on Ironbound negates a damage 1/6 of the time per die rolled by the attacker. However, Armor 1 basically has no effect against ranged or weak units since the [cleave] result doesn’t deal damage anyway. With Thick Bark, you don’t have that restriction on preventing damage, but you’re also rolling two dice, meaning you could potentially block 2 damage, while Armor 1 has a limit of blocking 1. For Thick Bark to work, though, you first have to suffer damage in the first place, and then roll the right results on “defense,” so it does seem like a it won’t block too much damage. I need to run some calculations to compare this to other defensive abilities.

1/5/6 8-cost

Melee-Legend

Monstrous: This unit may not enter building hexes, and blocks line of sight for units on hills (but not Behemoths)

Branches: This unit may perform melee attacks against units two spaces away. These attacks cannot be countered.

[heroic]-Crush: Deal one damage if the enemy isn't weak. Either way, deal one retreat.

This unit seems okay for the most part, but I would definitely lower its attack to 4. Having a 5-dice attack that can’t be countered is very powerful. Considering that Crush also gives it a chance to deal 2 more damage, I think the damage output is too high on this creature.

2/2/3 4-cost 4 range

Infantry-Ranged-Archer

Crack Shot: When a [lore] result is rolled, before committing any dice, deal 1 damage to the enemy per lore rolled, then reroll the dice with lore results, repeating the Crack Shot process again.

I think it’s awesome that the archer unit is the most abundant infantry for the Elves. It’s a change I have been considering for my boxes, but haven’t been able to get the unit distribution right.

2/2/3 4-cost 3 range

Infantry-Archer-Ranged

Navigation: Ignore the movement restrictions of terrain.

Hunters: At the start of the game, assign one "hunted" token to up to three enemy units. You are limited to one token on Legends, one token on Elite or Cavalry, and one on Infantry. You only assign the tokens to three units, no matter how many units of Rangers you have. Hunted tokens may never be removed, except upon enemy death.

[heroic]- Hunting Instincts- When attacking a unit with a hunted token, deal 1 damage. You may commit any number of [retreat] results this combat to deal 1 damage each.

This is an interesting new mechanic. It’s hard for me to envision how this will play out in an actual game. So do these guys deal damage with a [morale] result against any unit, even if it does not have the hunted token? But then, it still takes a [heroic] result to do that, so you only get that benefit if you roll exactly 1 [heroic] and 1 [morale]. So it seems to me that when you muster this unit, you are hoping to take down a difficult target as fast as possible.

2/3/3 5-cost 3 range

Infantry-Ranged-Caster

[heroic]-Word of Vaal: Choose an enemy unit within two hexes. Move that unit one space in any direction. Then, a friendly unit may move up to one space, so long as it ends its move in the space just vacated.

[lore] Amplify- If this unit is within one space of a forest, gain one lore for each enemy unit within three hexes of this unit in line of sight of this unit.

With Word of Vaal, does the movement cause damage like a retreat? Your wording doesn’t say “retreat,” so I would currently rule that it cannot deal damage. I like that an adjacent friendly unit can occupy the other space. This is a very neat ability.

Amplify seems like it could get crazy really fast. Earlier I mentioned lore-ramp and this seems to do the trick. It will always at least net 1 lore, which is good, but could hypothetically net up to 16 (this is a very specific and unlikely circumstance where the Sorceress is on a hill next to a forest and each space surrounding the hill and each space beyond that is occupied by a friendly unit, while an enemy is 3 hexes away and in line of sight).

Leonx Rider (9 figures)

3/3/3

Calvary-Melee

[heroic]- Booming Roar: Enemy takes a "confused token". Units with a confused token are considered weak, and before countering, roll a die. On a pierce, strike, or cleave result, they counter as normal. On any other result, they suffer a damage and cannot counter. You may pay 2 lore following the same rules as a stun token to remove the confused token. A unit may not have more than one confused token.

Spear Throw- Instead of attacking normally, perform a 4 dice ranged attack against a unit at range 1-2. You may not trigger Booming Roar during this attack.

I like having the choice between a 3-dice melee attack (with more chances to hit), or a 4-dice ranged attack (to avoid a counter).

Pegasus Rider (1 figure)

3/3/5 8-cost

Melee-Legend

Flying

[heroic]-Inspire: Place a Leader token on a friendly unit within two hexes of this unit. Inspire tokens may be spent by the unit that has it to reroll any of their attack dice.

This unit looks good. I really like the Inspire ability. ;)

The horseback archers may attack at any point during the move phase, so long as they haven't moved. The forest guardian should be four, that was just left over from an earlier design. I was just spitballing with Root Armor, don't quite have it down yet. Yeah, maybe crack shot should only happen once. Makes the rules for it easier too. I meant to say on the Rangers that the retreat committing is also only against units with the token. Shameless copy on the Pegasus Rider. ;)

Okay, made some changes:

Crack Shot can no longer infinite chain.

Hunting Instincts can only commit [morale] for a damage against units with hunted tokens.

Forest Guardian is four attack. (My bad)

Reworked root armor on the Guardians.

Clarified Horseback Archer and Word of Vaal

Like your version. Generally I think you tended to overpower almost all abilities compared to what's existing. Your abilities are generally stronger then all existing abilities with similar effects. You give more then the best existing effects without restrictions existing ones have. You have good ideas, but I thought reading almost every unit, that the potencial is to big and the restrictions are to minimal or not existing. For example you create a stun-like token (the best token in the actual game) and make it inremovable. Thats just to much! And there are tons of tokens, I think there should not be more then one per fraction.

Crack Shot: Reroll and insta-dammage is quite hard, imo OP. They are better then Daqan archers without movement restriction. Without the once-per-turn restriction it was OP for sure! So probably still the best archers in the hole game!

[Heroic]-Overpower: I think also this one is really far away with ist dammage potencial. They probably kill every legend with it's heroic in one round - you should not have more damage-potencial then one per dice! With a 4point-core-unit?!

Horseback Archer: Ok, like it, seems fluffy. But it's powerfull like they have a good attack and can avoid close combat with any non-cavalry unit

Expert Focus: Also here... Bonus dices AND Bonus damage ist just OP imo, overall like they can "hit and run"

Thick Bark: I think also here... way stronger then Armor: 1, and that shouldn't be

[heroic]-Root Magic: you negate the weakness of all other tokens (removability), I think that's a Basic game-design that you shouldn't touch

Monstrous: I would use the existing ability of the Uthuk-lord (massive?)

Branches: WAY OP... ok it has movement 1 without movement-ability, but still...

[heroic]-Crush: If the enemy unit isn't weak after your other rolls? The restriction is still strong. I think it's a too general extra damage (look at rage or the blood rippers, and they are both really strong!)

Navigation: No way: You ignore also rivers! If they are no merfolk... no. When I was thinking about a similar roule I also wanted to avoid to ignore movement restrictions of buildings

Hunters and Instinct: way to strong also, sorry. At the beginning of the game u see all important units in reach... and u get otherwise a extremly hard effect! If u really want an effect like this, let him chose three deployment-cards BEFORE they are turned up!

[heroic]-Word of Vaal: May be ok only for the restriction to 2 hexes. but still, to just get the enemy building/VP for free if heroic... huuuu it's tough!

[lore] Amplify- If I understand it right, it's also possible that they get O lore for a lore-dice, isn't it? Really like the idea, it's nice,

Leonx Rider (9 figures)

[heroic]- Booming Roar: the rule is way to complicated. Effect may be ok with it's 50%-restriction, but the effect should be less "when-then"

Spear Throw- I like the Melee-Ranged unit. 4A without counter is huge, may be ok like it is on small range... should be tested if ok or OP

Pegasus Rider (1 figure)

Flying

[heroic]-Inspire: reroll one dice every attack, ok. reroll every dice... hmmm, don't know

At all, one of your most fair units with it's only 3 attacks. But still strong.

Edited by phalgast

Like your version. Generally I think you tended to overpower almost all abilities compared to what's existing. Your abilities are generally stronger then all existing abilities with similar effects. You give more then the best existing effects without restrictions existing ones have. You have good ideas, but I thought reading almost every unit, that the potencial is to big and the restrictions are to minimal or not existing. For example you create a stun-like token (the best token in the actual game) and make it inremovable. Thats just to much! And there are tons of tokens, I think there should not be more then one per fraction.

I was thinking exact the same when I was reading the list for the first time.

I was thinking exact the same when I was reading the list for the first time.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Still a work in progress, I'll try to balance it.

@Phalgast

The Sorceress still gets at least 1 Lore from her ability for being within 3 hexes of herself. But at that point, you may as well not commit the die and just get Lore from the normal symbol.

@Phalgast

The Sorceress still gets at least 1 Lore from her ability for being within 3 hexes of herself. But at that point, you may as well not commit the die and just get Lore from the normal symbol.

Every enemy unit. So they have to go closer to the enemy if they want to get full potencial. I would Limit it to 0-3 or 0-2 lore per symbol. still strong but i do like the Basic idea. think if that rule then the ability should auto-Trigger, so that you have a restriction to get the potencial to get more lore then any other fraction

Edited by phalgast

Some more changes!

Forest Guardian: Branches may now be countered.

Leonx Rider: Spear Throw is now three dice.

Storm Sorceress: Amplify is now required. Also max 5 lore at a time.

Rangers: Assign tokens BEFORE revealing cards (thanks for that one!). Also no longer merfolk. That was an oversight.

Blackwood Guardians: Only roll 2 dice and prevent on a .

@Phalgast

Every enemy unit. So they have to go closer to the enemy if they want to get full potencial. I would Limit it to 0-3 or 0-2 lore per symbol. still strong but i do like the Basic idea. think if that rule then the ability should auto-Trigger, so that you have a restriction to get the potencial to get more lore then any other fraction

Yeah, I misread that. Sorry.

Some more changes!

Forest Guardian: Branches may now be countered.

Leonx Rider: Spear Throw is now three dice.

Storm Sorceress: Amplify is now required. Also max 5 lore at a time.

Rangers: Assign tokens BEFORE revealing cards (thanks for that one!). Also no longer merfolk. That was an oversight.

Blackwood Guardians: Only roll 2 dice and prevent on a .

For the Ranger's navigation ability, I like them being able to move through fords, but not rivers. How about, "This unit does not end its movement when it enters a hex that ends movement." You could have an entry on the rulesheet that expands this in more detail, but the point is that buildings, fords, forests, etc. do not end the unit's movement, however, it does not enable the unit to go through impassable terrain. Thinking about Barricades, I think they would still take the damage if they chose not to stop, based on how that terrain is worded.

More changes!:

Darnati Warrior now has two attack and 4 health.

Root tokens may now be removed like all other tokens.

Inspire only rerolls two dice.

Rangers text updated.

Expert Focus no longer rolls an additional die.

Edited by Toenail

This is a good point I hadn't considered. With extra dice from lore cards or scenario cards, the rerolls could get out of control. I still like being able to reroll 3 dice, since the average unit has 3 attack, but either way, putting a cap on it is a great idea.

This is a good point I hadn't considered. With extra dice from lore cards or scenario cards, the rerolls could get out of control. I still like being able to reroll 3 dice, since the average unit has 3 attack, but either way, putting a cap on it is a great idea.

That was my thought. This way it still has most of its power, but no broken combos can happen.