How do Untouchables feel about... Each other?

By TheWorldSmith, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

RAW, I can see that all Fellowship-based tests count Fellowship as one-half-&-rounded-up, and that applies for interactions with other Untouchables too - but in the lore, how do they feel about each other?

Do Untouchables find each other to be repulsive, or unnerving? Is this negative side-effect of being an Untouchable more about how you display yourself, rather than how others perceive you?

How does this work? :P I'm familiar with the Pariah gene in the lore, so the basics I've got down, but how exactly does it work/generate-it's-effects between multiple parties?

I do wonder if it's definitely a how-it's-transmitted thing, rather than a how-it's-received kind of thing.

Thoughts?

I don't think so. I don't think untouchables feel anything really about anyone in particular.

Most don't register their effects on psykers, It's everyone else around them that have issues.

I've always found it more about how others percieve you. See Elizabeth Bequin from Eisenhorn, but Jenkins from Caiphus Cain smells really badly, but I don't think that's his fault.

I don't think it's been writ upon much. In the Eisenhorn novel he set up an organization that gathered untouchables in one place so they'd be easier to distribute throughout his network for missions. So they wouldn't seem to not be able to be around one another.

Per Raw I think they would have the effect on each other but my take on it would be the same as ThenDoctor.

It would be more like finding a brother in a sea of hostility and repulsion and as they effectively have no soul anyway I can't see them being repulsed by another person with no soul.

It's more people connected to the warp that feel the revulsion at one that has no presence in the warp and since untouchables can't perceive the warp I can't see them perceiving the lack of connection to the warp in other untouchables.

That's a lot of waffle to say I wouldn't use the fellowship reductions for interactions between two or more pariahs in my game.

Depending on the circumstances, any one Blank may have no feelings on other Blanks, because they've never met another one, before. Even in a universe where many things are "rare", either because they are hard to maintain, the AdMech doesn't remember how to make them, or what have you, even in a sector scenario where Astartes are so few in number there might not be any in that sector, right then, Untouchables are RARE! One in a billion is terrible odds, to start with, and then many of those are killed by their superstitious neighbors, or taken aboard the Black Ships, as some kind of psyker-breed, and die there. Of the few who live, they are sent to the Culexis Temple, where many more of these very few probably die training, never becoming OA Operatives, and a few others are seconded to an Inquisitor for uses as a psyker-shield.

Now, certainly you know this, but I'm just trying to illustrate how many Blanks might never have met another Blank, and with so many other people hating them, they might not see themselves as a breed apart, but more as a singular, cursed soul,being punished by the Emperor for crimes they never even knowingly committed. Sort of like the Emperor's Hand, in Star Wars, while there may be several, even a handful, each often thinks they are the ONLY one, and so I'd bet many Untouchables don't even waste a thought on what others would be like, if they even know enough about their rare condition to actually be aware there are any others. If they DO know, their mindset will color it, but I suspect they feel sad for one another, having to live apart from all Mankind, or they feel cold, and distant, that their singular gift gives them a task, and "feelings" are a luxury for lesser servants.

Part of my problem with Blanks has always been the thing with everyone else, psyker or not, knowing something's off, because then every example seems not to put out by it. One book has a psyker Inquisitor "dating" his Untouchable Acolyte, even though, as 4chan would put it, "most psykers would rather chew out their own arteries than spend any time in the presence of an Untouchable (it's about the Culexis, but "lesser" Blanks can't be much better). The Sisters of Silence never seemed to put off their allies, a homebrew "DH for Astartes" game we played in '06 had an Inquisitor hand us his right-hand Blank, Draco, and we were able to role-play past it; even my Grey Knight (he had a limiter device, but my character, alone, still kept a minimum safe distance; better than puking in my helmet ;) ), and one of my RT NPCs employs a Blank as his Seneschal, who makes sure no warp-shenanigans occur at meetings. It always seems that, any person in the universe with more than one modicum of willpower, so more like a PC, less like a "typical" scared civilian, anywhere, could accept the feeling, and learn to live with it, comforted by the benefits it brings, and no real downsides, unlike Psychic Perils. Part of me thinks that a group of PCs should shut them out, but the better part of me thinks they should be the ones who can get past it, and then the whole "everyone is afraid of them!!!" thing becomes rather hollow, to me.

In summation, if they know there are others of similar aura, they likely feel bad for them, but maybe better about themselves, as it means they haven't been singularly picked out to be cursed, and maybe feel a kindred spirit, but I bet most don't feel anything, as they probably don't even know there are other Untouchables out there.

Eisenhorn did not date Alizabeth.

He had feelings for her, but know that they literally could not be physically together without him getting physically sick to his stomach.

Unless we're talking about something else.

No, I was certainly exaggerating, but they were the couple I was referring to; couldn't have remembered their names without Google, sadly. ;) But, as I said, even in a galaxy where the average people's response to "weird", or "different", maybe even "wrong", is revulsion, and keeping away from it, or outright murdering it, Eisenhorn had the force of will to see past the mind-numbing nausea of something trying to suppress his psyker-soul, to find the woman underneath the aura, who had traits he found he could appreciate, even love; he never should've stayed around her long enough to remember what color her hair was, but...

Oh well, I often arrange for romances between peoples who shouldn't be able to have it, too, so I'm not berating Dan Abnett (here's hoping; he wrote the Eisnhorn book I own, anyway). Just always find it weird when they include this "can't be close to anyone! People just shiver in the presence of..." vibe, only to then always have at least one person show up, who can get through all that, to the emotional center underneath all of it. Kind of makes me like the idea of a Callidus seeing someone, on the side, as she worms her way into a Guard regiment, looking for the ringleaders of a Chaos Cult, inside its command structure; like I said, I write improbable/impossible romances, too. ;)

I mean, Eisenhorn was never depicted as calm around her. He was always always on edge.

He just liked her for the person that she proved herself to be, and was accepting that it'd never go beyond that.

I don't find the relationship improbably or impossible. It was presented better than most relationships in 40k to be fair. Looking at you Jaq Draco...

Yeah, I think as much as possible Eisenhorn actually loved Madame Bequin. His vigil at her deathbedside kinda seemed to say that.

Untouchables have no connection to the warp so they can't feel the same revulsion for each other that others do. Likely they would be unaffected by each other's presence.

They do seem fine with one another. Bequin and the other students at the scholam in Pariah are all fine with one another.

Of course, they're all wearing Frauka-style limiters, so that may not be a fair comparison.

"Don't touch me!"