My One Criticism/Suggestion in an Outstanding Game App (FFG fix?)

By alexbobspoons, in Mansions of Madness

I love this game, truly excellent, well worth my money.

But I do have one small but worthy criticism. (Steam version). When in the setup stage of exploring into another room, the app shows you the new room with walls/doors etc highlighted, BUT in some cases, the big text box obscures quite a chunk of the detail, sometimes Im really having to look to see which way around the room is oriented and where they have put the token walls/doors etc.

As soon as you click on the screen, it moves onto the positioning of the next token items and the wall/door/etc highlight disappears, so sometimes I find you need the room finished in-app and then have to then look over it to see if any walls/doors/etc were missed in your setup.

I think a solution would be that after the screen shows setup, instead of 1-click moving to the next stage of setup, 1-click simply removes the text box, then a second-click moves the setup onwards.

Its true that other solutions could be a click-icon to make the text box disappear, or mousing-over it to make it transparent (not touchscreen friendly), but I thought the extra-click would be the easiest to code and also the best solution cross-platform that would work just as well for mouse or touchscreen. For those not needing it, double-tapping isnt too hard and maybe it could also be turned off within settings.

I realise this thread may get comments from people more familiar with the components (and yes the rooms have labels) but for me this is a little niggle that would make the game flow so much better and would be very easy to code-in on an app update.

So for me personally I would hope FFG may see this thread and take this thought on-board and maybe make the tweak please.

And as a last note: Very well done on an awesome creation FFG!

Alex

Another suggestion I would like to see is a timer added to each puzzle. In the first edition there was an option to put a time limit to each puzzle and it made it much more interesting and stressful. This could maybe be a "hard mode" option one could simply turn on and off. Until then we will just time it on our own.

What I intuitively did when the new-room-setup-textbox blocked visibility on the area to set up, was to try and move the map - oddly enough you can't do that while that textbox is up. Why lock the map in the first place? If the app stopped doing that, I'd be fine already. :wacko:

Edited by LagAdder

good point alexbobspoons

this is also the only *negative* point for me - ffg should fix this - im sure its only a setting because in a lot of situations you can move the map in the background (or was it in the prev versions.... i dont know and cant try it now)

What I intuitively did when the new-room-setup-textbox blocked visibility on the area to set up, was to try and move the map - oddly enough you can't do that while that textbox is up. Why lock the map in the first place? If the app stopped doing that, I'd be fine already. :wacko:

Exactly. I instinctively expected it to work like the Descent app, which lets you move the map around with the box still on the screen.

Seems like it should be a simple fix with the MoM app.

I had the same issues during my first game. It's more of a nuisance than a problem but I agree with you that it's something I'd like to see fixed!

I had this same problem with not being able to see the wall tokens on the map because the text box telling you to place them is obscuring them.

Aye,

This issue is a bit annoying. Nothing major but could easily be fixed by adding an extra step, i.e. showing the board tiles with tokens, before the text appears.

Or they could put the text box at the top of the screen, rather than dead center, with the map shifted slightly downward to prevent obscuring it.

2 years later and still no improvement with this issue…

Can we still hope for some improvements?