Nethergate and Dungeon Shortcut.

By Murmandamus, in Talisman

Me and my group play all expansions up to now with dragons and recently i bought also nethergate but since we like to play secret endings there is only a slim chance that we would use nether cards in ordinary game so on inner region( dragon one) i placed nether cards as stated in gauntler ending so all inner region has one and two on crown place. I also placed one on Mountain king place and one on Lord of Darkness. I wonder if along with dragons it isn't too difficult but that's the least problem as i also wonder if the Lord of Darkness shortcut to Crown is much more appealing to players because after one nether card on treasury and two on crown of command you face ending in opposition to 5 or 6 +2 on normal route to crown. What do you think?

Yeah we play with everything as well, but Dragons because no one really likes that in my gaming group. The Nethergate (Nether Realm) is very hard to get into play most the time because it is keyed to the endings, its a good idea to put a starting - setting up rule into play that allows at least some Nether Realm card deployment. I made a set of rules for starting a game of Talisman (shameless plug warning ahead) called Forever Talisman and it at least gives players the choice to began the game with The Gauntlet ending. I find this is a very good way (without changing a lot of the set up rules, and getting all confusing) to include the The Nethergate (Nether Realm) expansion in play.

Heres a link to my Forever Talisman rules if your interested : https://www.dropbox.com/home/Forever%20Talisman

Edited by Uvatha

The Lord of Darkness shortcut is my least favorite part of the Dungeon expansion, and I have house-ruled it out of the game. There are no shortcuts to the Crown of Command (meaning no teleporting in the inner region, either).

Here's how I would use the three alternate endings from the Nether Realm:

• Pandora's Box: mix this in for random ending draw with all the others. No change needed.
  • The Gauntlet: have this in play every game, except completing The Gauntlet does not result in victory. It results in encountering a random ending (either revealed or hidden).
  • The Hunt: this is an alternate Alternate Ending for every game. That is, if a character survives the Gauntlet and has four Nether Realm trophies in his possession, he does not have to encounter another alternate ending. He wins. (Trophies gained from running The Gauntlet do not count toward the four needed to complete The Hunt. This ensures that players don't just wait until the head into the inner region to collect trophies, if this is the route to victory that they want to take.) However, if a character doesn't want to earn the four trophies, then he can still encounter the original Alternate Ending. Using The Hunt in this manner keeps the option of swapping cards out during the game without making collecting four trophies an absolute necessity to winning the game.

• The Gauntlet: have this in play every game, except completing The Gauntlet does not result in victory. It results in encountering a random ending (either revealed or hidden).
  • The Hunt: this is an alternate Alternate Ending for every game. That is, if a character survives the Gauntlet and has four Nether Realm trophies in his possession, he does not have to encounter another alternate ending. He wins. (Trophies gained from running The Gauntlet do not count toward the four needed to complete The Hunt. This ensures that players don't just wait until the head into the inner region to collect trophies, if this is the route to victory that they want to take.) However, if a character doesn't want to earn the four trophies, then he can still encounter the original Alternate Ending. Using The Hunt in this manner keeps the option of swapping cards out during the game without making collecting four trophies an absolute necessity to winning the game.

Every game.. Isn't that a bit rough?

Every game.. Isn't that a bit rough?

Isn't being "rough" the point of The Nether Realm expansion? I like a challenge.