Will the App Work for the 1st Edition Scenarios

By Haunster, in Mansions of Madness

Will it?

No.

Don't think so mate, they are story driven from within the app but I guess in the future they could offer them as downloads or free updates.

We played our first game using the app last week, fantastic! Takes all the hard work out of running the game and I could finally play rather than run it!

Was really atmospheric and the combat system is lots of fun, I have all the first edition releases so I ticked the appropriate boxes. be nice if they could include POD and the smaller expansions in the future for even more variety

Um...I'm pretty sure it does support 1st scenarios? First time poster, so forgive me if I've missed something.

When I open my app, I choose More from the menu. I then choose My Collection, followed by First edition. I can then add all first edition products to my collection and play those as I want. From what I've read it plays them with 2nd edition rules but you CAN use the scenarios.

Um...I'm pretty sure it does support 1st scenarios? First time poster, so forgive me if I've missed something.

When I open my app, I choose More from the menu. I then choose My Collection, followed by First edition. I can then add all first edition products to my collection and play those as I want. From what I've read it plays them with 2nd edition rules but you CAN use the scenarios.

It does allow you to play the 2nd edition scenarios using components (tiles, investigators, monsters) from 1st edition base and/or expansions. These are added in to the 2nd edition scenarios as substitute variations in the components used for the scenarios. What the app doesn't do is allow you to play 1st edition scenarios from within the app, this would require them to be specifically set up and converted to a 2nd edition format. This is not to say that this couldn't/wouldn't be done in future and I believe that one of the new scenarios to be released with the announced new expansions will be based upon an existing 1st edition scenario.

What a shame. I have to say I'm actually very disappointed in the content of this game and learning that we can't even use old scenarios makes things even worse. I love the games I've played but I've tried a couple of them out a second time and it is virtually like rewatching a film. For me, substituting a monster or non-essential item for a different one is lazy when FFG are claiming a greater degree of variation than appears to be the case. I've played the first three scenarios so far, replaying 1 and 3 and the lack of variety the second time round was both startling and disappointing. I know the 4th one is supposed to be more varied but if it's the only one that is then it still doesn't cut it.

I really hate to say this as the first playthrough of each scenario was so wonderful, but with only 4 scenarios in the box I am really regretting buying this product. And that could all be fixed if there was just more content and more variability. I know some people will say that 20-25 pound for an evening's entertainment isn't really so bad but one of the amazing things about board games for me is their replayability and that I don't usually have to think in terms of value per playthrough, that I don't have to compare it to the money one might spent on a computer game or night out. I just don't feel that it's there yet with this one. Compare it to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. 30 quid and you get 10 games out of that one! Apples and oranges I know but still...

I've no doubt that when the new content comes out it'll be 40-50 quid for the box too. FFG should really think about putting out some more scenarios that don't require buying an expensive expansion, if only to repay the loyalty of us earlier purchasers.. I realise this is not likely to happen but I can hope!

Just to add that this is the first FFG product of the many that I've bought where I could level this kind of criticism at them. Feel kind of let down at the moment by a company who for me are usually the gold standard of what I look for when I buy a game.

True Dirach, but if we're new to the game and *only* parted with 95 quid to buy the second edition then we don't get two more scenarios for free. Instead, we've got to either fork out the money for the expansions (which will work out 40 quid a scenario or something similar!) or use the trick of subbing in different tiles to represent the ones we don't have in the box.

If this was a 50 quid game, I wouldn't be complaining. But I feel a bit like FFG have taken me to the cleaners on this one...