Budgernaut's Latari Elves custom units

By Budgernaut, in BattleLore

Next, we have the lore cards for Defenders of Aymhelin. The total lore cost of this deck is 69.

Spring the Trap

Lore: 3

Play after an enemy unit advances into a hex with a banner marker.

Deal 1 damage to that enemy unit.

Stomp

Play at the end of your attack step.

Eliminate one weak enemy unit that is adjacent to one of your massive units.

Swift Retribution

Lore: 4

Play after an enemy unit performs an attack against a friendly Darnati Warriors unit.

Ignore all retreats this combat and add +1 die on the counter attack.

Hit and Fade

Play after your order step.

Friendly ordered units gain mobility 1 until the end of the turn. Friendly Deepwood Archers units lose mobility 1 and gain mobility 2 instead.

Ageless Determination

Lore: 5

Play during your attack step, after declaring the target of an attack.

Add 3 dice to a combat roll against an enemy unit in a hex with a banner marker.

Inspiring Charge

Play at the end of your order step.

Inspire 2 cavalry units. Each inspired cavalry unit has its movement increased by 1.

Survivor’s Instinct

Play before a friendly Aymhelin Scouts unit performs a counter attack.

Add 2 dice to your combat roll. If the target enemy unit is eliminated or forced to retreat, you may advance.

Inspiring Hope

Lore: 6

Play at the start of your attack step.

Place an inspired token on 3 friendly units.

Enchanted Sacrifice

Play after a friendly unit is eliminated in a clear hex.

Place 1 enchanted forest tile in that hex. Enchanted forest hexes count as blocking terrain and impassable terrain for enemy units. A friendly unit that occupies an enchanted forest hex may commit [lore] results to gain 2 lore.

The Forest Awakens

Lore: 9

Instead of attacking with your ordered units, you may perform a melee attack with forest tiles against each enemy unit in or adjacent to a forest tile. A forest tile rolls 3 combat dice. You must declare which forest tile is attacking which enemy unit before rolling dice to determine retreat lines. Enemy units that occupy forest hexes cannot resolve retreat effects this turn.
Finally, we have the Rout of Hyddenvale, coming in with a total lore cost of 66.

Mana Song

Lore: 2

Play after your opponent plays a lore card.

Your opponent must pay you 3 lore. If your opponent cannot, he must discard his lore card without resolving its effects.

Coordinated Barrage (There are 2 copies of this card in the deck)

Play at the end of your command step.

Order 1 friendly ranged unit in addition to the orders provided by your command card. You may play 1 additional lore card this turn.

Hunting as One

If there is an enemy unit adjacent to two of your ordered units, choose one of those units to skip its attack this turn. The other ordered unit adds dice to its combat roll equal to the combat value of the unit chosen to skip its attack. If the attacking unit is a Leonx Patrol, the target cannot resolve retreat effects this combat.

Setting the Trap

Play after your opponent’s command step.

Place 3 trap tokens on the game board, each in an unoccupied hex within 2 hexes of a friendly Latari Elves unit. When an enemy unit enters a hex with a trap token, it must immediately end its movement and becomes ensnared. Then, remove the trap token from the game board.

Quick Strike

Play when a Vine Weaver unit declares an attack against an enemy unit.

Deal 1 damage to the target unit.

Rout the Unclean

Play at the end of your move step.

Add one [morale] result to each combat roll performed by friendly units this turn.

Clever Ruse

Play after your move step.

Choose one ordered unit and one unordered unit. The chosen units switch hexes with one another. The unordered unit may attack this turn.

Empyreal Volley

Lore: 7

Play at the end of your move step.

Add 1 [pierce] result to each combat roll performed by friendly ranged units this turn.

Sorceresses’ Influence

Lore: 8

Play at the end of your opponent’s move step if you have a Storm Sorceresses unit on the battlefield.

You may choose up to 1 enemy unit in each section of the battlefield. Move each chosen unit 1 hex in any direction.

Old topic I know, but how far did you guys ever get with these guys? I was going to start making elves over the Thanksgiving break I have from work. I would love to collaborate if you guys are still working on this.

What you see is everything I've done with Latari Elves so far. I think it would be good to collaborate, but I was too impatient and just fleshed out my whole set first. I think it would be fun to collaborate with different ideas from different folks, but whoever spearheads that should probably start a new topic called "Community Latri Elves Customs" or something like that. I'd hate to have all the community ideas in a thread titled "Budgernaut's Customs." Whoever posts in such a thread is more than willing to use any ideas I've included in this thread. It would nice to be acknowledged if my ideas are used, but it's not really necessary.

I've toyed with the idea of doing some 3D printed sculpts using the 3D printer at my school, but A) I don't have the time, and B) I doubt the quality would be anything remotely close to the other figures, so it would just look awful.

Great! I'll make a thread on this over Thanksgiving then. I may also make a public google drive folder that people can add things to and make changes/suggestions on as the google docs format is probably easier to use. People could make sub folders as well with more limited access just so that some random person doesn't go ruin everything and we get stuck with no backup.

I'm actually fairly good at making cards. I'm just doing the finishing touches on my current battlelore projects and then I can go full-time on making the cards for elves.

As far as figures go, that is hard. I've actually tried printing figures before and it's true, you're not going to get the same quality as battlelore minis. Often it's a lot of work clipping all the supports and stuff and the figures end up looking ragged and have that layered texture to them. That being said, you can find decent ones on sites like Thingiverse. I've figured out how do make decent tokens with some tutorials I found on BGG, so my plan was to make some large-ish tokens and use those as units (cardboard tokens... would put unit card art on the token). Obviously not as cool, but it's a lot easier to do and finding all the right figures is difficult. Obviously if you know how to do 3D modelling that's a different matter, but I don't.

Do you think the Google Doc thing would work as a collaboration tool? I actually had some ideas using your unit concepts that I'll probably post there. I had some alternate ideas on about 3 of the units you made that I think will make the faction have more synergy, but overall I really loved your ideas. Your lore cards look awesome so far and will probably only need some cost adjustments after testing. Lore card costs are hard to get just right, and I always end up changing them.

Edited by Willange

Do you think the Google Doc thing would work as a collaboration tool? I actually had some ideas using your unit concepts that I'll probably post there. I had some alternate ideas on about 3 of the units you made that I think will make the faction have more synergy, but overall I really loved your ideas. Your lore cards look awesome so far and will probably only need some cost adjustments after testing. Lore card costs are hard to get just right, and I always end up changing them.

I think it could work, but I'd also like to see updates posted here regularly, for those who aren't following the Google Doc changes. I could take care of posting updates here. Just something simple once a week or so saying, "Hey, here are the major changes we've made this week. Check the Google Doc for details."

I look forward to hearing some of your alternate ideas on units. I'm especially not thrilled about the Vineweaver and would love to see some additional ideas about a Legend unit for that box.

How about my (your) Pegasus Rider? Or my Forest Guardian? Either of those could be the last legend.

And yeah, count me in for a collaborative effort.

@Willange- You are good at making cards? Do you play Diskwars by any chance?

I suppose i should say I'm okay at making cards. I really need to get better at it. I can do it decently well though. The biggest thing i learned from my last attempt was that i need to get a hold of some higher resolution images, but yeah.

And no i haven't played diskwars, but I've heard good things about it. Is that something i should get into? Haha

How about my (your) Pegasus Rider? Or my Forest Guardian? Either of those could be the last legend.

One of my boxes has the Forest Guardian as the legend, but the other has the Vineweaver. I have the Pegasus Rider as a cavalry currently, so it couldn't be used as a legend for my boxes. But in our collaboration, we could definitely elevate that one to a legend unit and find some other cavalry or elite unit to replace it. Though I admit that I'm partial to having the Pegasus Riders be cavalry, similar to how the Obscenes became elite units for BattleLore rather than being legend units as would be implied by their hexagonal base in Runewars and their Mythic status in Rune Age. :D

Edited by Budgernaut

One of my boxes has the Forest Guardian as the legend, but the other has the Vineweaver. I have the Pegasus Rider as a cavalry currently, so it couldn't be used as a legend for my boxes. But in our collaboration, we could definitely elevate that one to a legend unit and find some other cavalry or elite unit to replace it. Though I admit that I'm partial to having the Pegasus Riders be cavalry, similar to how the Obscenes became elite units for BattleLore rather than being legend units as would be implied by their hexagonal base in Runewars and their Mythic status in Rune Age. :D

True, true. I"ll think about it.