In App Purchases Across Platforms??

By alexbobspoons, in Mansions of Madness

So heres a thing.

This question assumes future in-app purchases, which we dont yet know if that will become a thing. Maybe all new content will be free or via physocal expansions.

Anyways, I imagine some people will flip between running the app on tablet and PC, for convenience or location.

So, if you purchased something through one platform (say pc) would the app be able to transfer to the other platform (say android).

Steam store and Google store I dont think interact easily.

Possibly single use serial code that would "unlock" the content on the other store?

Of course they may not charge for inn app stuff. Maybe you buy a room tile and get scenarios free with it or something.

Im just bouncing thoughts really.

Just like it would be nice to be able to move a saved game state from one device to another (and/or store it in the cloud). Much like an on-going conversation for D2e, in this day and age, save games should be stored in a format that is independent of the platform using it.

Just like it would be nice to be able to move a saved game state from one device to another (and/or store it in the cloud). Much like an on-going conversation for D2e, in this day and age, save games should be stored in a format that is independent of the platform using it.

The problem isn't platform independent save files. They're already multiplatform as the app is made with Unity. The actual reason is probably the fact that for cross platform saving, they would have to have a server to store and sync the files, which means additional costs and workload. While Steam supports cloud saving, it can't be used cross platform with iOS and Android devices.

I don't think there are going to be any in-app purchases to being with.

I hope so. Id much rather all the app content be free and new scenarios make money for FFG by being dependant on certain components that are purchasable in whatever new tile/monster/token pack they release at the time :)

I think it's pretty obvious that the 2nd edition equivalent of 1st edition's print-on-demand scenarios will be digital only. Given the fact that other FFG applications offer in-app purchases of downloadable content, it's not that far of a stretch to presume that this one will be no different.

I think it's pretty obvious that the 2nd edition equivalent of 1st edition's print-on-demand scenarios will be digital only. Given the fact that other FFG applications offer in-app purchases of downloadable content, it's not that far of a stretch to presume that this one will be no different.

Can I ask how the other applications handle it cross-platform please?

I will mosty play using the steam app, but there will be those portable times where Id like to take the game somewhere and run it on tablet. Would be good to know if this will be possible after in-app purchases.

Thanks

The applications I have expierence with all require to rebuy their stuff if you want it on another platform as well. Seems to be a common practice, though - so it's not just an FFG thing. If you buy any game for your mobile device you don't automagically have access to the same game on every platform it's available on.

The applications I have expierence with all require to rebuy their stuff if you want it on another platform as well. Seems to be a common practice, though - so it's not just an FFG thing. If you buy any game for your mobile device you don't automagically have access to the same game on every platform it's available on.

Hmm true about games for mobile devices however this is intended as a free app to suppliment a paid-for boardgame. So not quite the same really.

Also, If you buy the app/game on google-play and unlock paid-for content, then that will be available to all of your android devices of differing sorts as long as they are on the same google account.

This will need some thought, there is no way I am paying twice for anything, happy to pay once, not twice.

I may have to just run the android version through an android emulator on my PC rather than the steam version and then unlock any content on the android app. I do hope theres an alternative though.

Thanks for the info.

Well, technically the companion app isn't free. It's part of a package that comes at a price of $99.95.

It was easy to accomodate every major distribution platform by making the companion app available for free, since it is useless without ownership of the physical parts of the game.

A new scenario they'd develop as paid additional content is a whole different beast.

If FFG wants to stay in the position to be able to pay their staff to make new scenarios for the app, they have to take precautions that only MoM2 owners who actually purchased the extra content have access to it. So it's tied to your account on the respective platform it was purchased on.

Since these platforms are run by companies competing with each other for revenue generated through purchases made in their stores (Apple, Valve, Google, Amazon), they're probably not too keen on helping customers not paying for items they already paid for on a competitors platform.

Unless FFG surprises us with a clever way to circumvent this dilemma, the most reasonable way to go is to try out which device best suits you and your gaming group and sticking to that device's platform when buying extra digital content.

The problem isn't platform independent save files. They're already multiplatform as the app is made with Unity. The actual reason is probably the fact that for cross platform saving, they would have to have a server to store and sync the files, which means additional costs and workload. While Steam supports cloud saving, it can't be used cross platform with iOS and Android devices.

Many have said a similar thing in D2e, and this statement is fallacious. You don't need to add infrastructure to store and sync files. This already exists FOR FREE. Just allow me to choose where the save file is that I choose to leverage. Then, I can access it via any cloud service, for example DropBox.

Alex, in-app purchases may be platform-dependant, but there is a lot of content that comes for free. There's nothing stopping you from having multiple apps running on different platforms and purchase scenarios only on one. So, if you buy scenarios for Steam, when you are away you may run all the others on Android

Well, technically the companion app isn't free. It's part of a package that comes at a price of $99.95.

It was easy to accomodate every major distribution platform by making the companion app available for free, since it is useless without ownership of the physical parts of the game.

A new scenario they'd develop as paid additional content is a whole different beast.

If FFG wants to stay in the position to be able to pay their staff to make new scenarios for the app, they have to take precautions that only MoM2 owners who actually purchased the extra content have access to it. So it's tied to your account on the respective platform it was purchased on.

Since these platforms are run by companies competing with each other for revenue generated through purchases made in their stores (Apple, Valve, Google, Amazon), they're probably not too keen on helping customers not paying for items they already paid for on a competitors platform.

Unless FFG surprises us with a clever way to circumvent this dilemma, the most reasonable way to go is to try out which device best suits you and your gaming group and sticking to that device's platform when buying extra digital content.

If they have a user log-in, tied to an account on an FFG platform, it is possible (not that it will necessarily happen.)

I play Star Realms and Cthulhu Realms, and on those, I created an account with my email. I can play on iOs, Android, and steam, and by logging in I click that "I confirm I am the owner of this account" and it unlocks paid dlc across platforms.

It is the exception to the norm though, usually you have to buy separately on each. This is the case with FFG's Elder Sign Omens, I have the base app on both and am deciding where to buy the add-ons as I am only willing to buy once.

We will have to wait for them to release anything I suppose, I personally will likely buy on iOs as that is my tablet and preferred virtual keeper.

Edited by Abe

Yes needs thinking about.

I cannot use my tablet at home because my son will need it, so need to use my PC, I cannot use my PC while away as I dont always have access to it.

Not ideal.

Unless FFG do something different (Eg; Login account as suggested, or release a 1-use unlock code for an alternative platform when you purchase on one platform..) then I suspect I will need to do as Julia suggests.

I hope so. Id much rather all the app content be free and new scenarios make money for FFG by being dependant on certain components that are purchasable in whatever new tile/monster/token pack they release at the time :)

I don't see how that could work. It's too easy to substitute cards, and I don't really want a specific board to be required every time by a scenario. Paying for scenarios in app seems to give more options for one off scenarios, and board packs could be used to add variety to all scenarios.

To offer a counterpoint, I would much rather there be paid digital expansions (i.e. scenarios) that don't require a physical purchase.

This encourages FFG to create more scenarios as an independent revenue stream, and it means that we don't have to wait for physical goods floating across the Pacific before we can access new scenarios.

Ideally, I'd like to see individual scenarios or packs available as an in-app purchase, as well as "big box" expansions that add physical parts as well as new scenarios. Plus, if some of the digital-only scenarios require the use of the physical expansions, it's a built-in advertising angle for FFG to get you to buy more products.

And campaigns. Please, don't forget adding campaigns to the game. I wanna play something a la Masks of Nyarlathotep :)