[suggestion] Components

By Kirin, in Runewars Miniatures Game

I really liked what I saw in the Covenant video. The dials are need. The rulers are workable. The dice look great. What I did not like is the rune tokens. Flipping around cardboardtoken doesn't feel right. Also I fear they will wear out easily. Instead they should use dice for runes. Feels better in every way - haptically and mechanically.

I really liked what I saw in the Covenant video. The dials are need. The rulers are workable. The dice look great. What I did not like is the rune tokens. Flipping around cardboardtoken doesn't feel right. Also I fear they will wear out easily. Instead they should use dice for runes. Feels better in every way - haptically and mechanically.

Are these really cardboard? If they are, I think it would be fine if they just chose another material. I think the rune-throwing is supposed to be some kind of retro and that's why they went for "coins".

It would be fun to configure a way to use "real" rune stones from one of those divination sets from stores such as Barnes & Noble. The look good and would be pretty rad to cast each round. If a symbol was applied to each side of the coins, and the proper number allocated, it could probably work.

Edited by Blutsteigen

The demo guy mentioned that the final components would be better. I don't know if that applies to the rune tokens, but I can hope.

You can always make your own dice if you want. I've used blank dice to make "tokens" for other games before. Also, X-Wing does a lot of acrylic tokens as promos, it's pretty likely you'd see those in this game too.

I like them as tokens. From what we know so far, the runes you end up with are persistent throughout the round, so you set them aside in a visible spot. Dice that you set aside could be bumped and picked up by accident much easier.

I also like it thematically. As far as I can gather, runes and runestones and reading them is supposed to be a big deal in the Rune- universe (well, duh), and the way it's set up with tokens, you are quite literally "casting the runes" each round to determine the ebb and flow of battle.

Also, note that while demo rune tokens were kinda flimsy, final components are bound to be more weighty and chunky.

Also, oversized acrylic rune tokens in Organized Play kits. That needs to be a thing.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

And if the game succeds there will be surely third party companies that sell stuff usable in the game, you can get all tokens and movement templates from X-Wing in acrylic from third party companies.

And if the game succeds there will be surely third party companies that sell stuff usable in the game, you can get all tokens and movement templates from X-Wing in acrylic from third party companies.

I really hope, that this will occur and that we will see those kind of gaming accessoires from FFG or third party companies. I would love to :) !

I'm sure someone will come up with some nice resin/plastic runes that look like stones and will be more fun to throw about (randomize). I agree, cardboard tokens ain't doin it for me!

I want my runes carved in bones ;)

Edited by Iceeagle85

Preferably the enemies' you saw driven before you, I presume?

Honestly, I think it might be a good idea for FFG to invest some extra cash into rune design. It's called Rune Wars, after al,l and some impressive runes (you know, looking like stone, more heavy, for example) would be good eye-catchers and add more soul to the game.

Preferably the enemies' you saw driven before you, I presume?

Of course :lol: (need a Conan smiley)

Acrylic tokens in organized play kits by FFG is a foregone conclusion.

My plan, if I can pull it off, is to make coins out of clear resin with light up runes with led's

Another possibility would be resin coins, with engraved rune symbols in the middle. So it would look and feel much nicer, than those cardboard rune-stones(?) :) !

Chunky bits of stones with runes inside would also be nice, some crystal tokens come into my mind, as an opportunity for those "coins".

Something like that maybe: http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=100704

product_100704.jpg

There are existing in other colors also. So maybe a bit bigger and rolling-friendly edges/shape with engraved runes, would be aweseome :) !

Or some of those selfmade Runestones :) ...

il_570xN.836634975_tjf1.jpg
il_570xN.1001722124_blul.jpg
il_570xN.989761662_pavw.jpg

Maybe a bit bigger and flat and engraved onto both sides. MDF runestones would also fit very well :) .

Edited by Fomorian

The only thing with homemade runestones is that they could be weighted towards one side so don't expect them to be tournament legal.

I expect on tournament kits all the cardboard will have an acrylic version, so don't worry so much about this. Anyway I prefer also dice to roll the runes 4 sides dices with 2 runes repeated is the same than 2 side printed cardboard pieces, and the feeling is much more better, also a D6 with 3 faces repeated is the same.

If you're throwing actual rocks around (and they do look cool), better have a little rune box you do it in. Throwing/flipping rocks onto the table seems like the perfect way to crush a few minis!

Yeah I'd get pretty excited if someone threw a real runestone and broke some of my models with it. Acrylic could work or resen perhaps but nothing heavier than that.

Could use a dice tower

Litko and their excellent acrylic tokens should rescue us from this dilemma. Runes are aesthetically appealing but not practical (nor will the be tourny legal) for all the reasons described above.

The dice idea is my favorite -- with the proper symbols on them. Dice used as indicators certainly works for Bolt Action; it would be fine here too I think.

Edited by Blutsteigen

So maybe some D4 in grey color, with some engraved, colored runes!? This would be the best solution for tourneys, gaming itself and safety for the models and it would be a compromise between handling and good looking :) !?

So maybe some D4 in grey color, with some engraved, colored runes!? This would be the best solution for tourneys, gaming itself and safety for the models and it would be a compromise between handling and good looking :) !?

The shape of the D4 seems a good idea here -- they stay steady, have a visible presence on the board and aren't easily toppled.

Yeah D4s seem like the best way to go. Hard to accidentally flip and different enough from everything else on the table. Easy to pick up and move without accidentally changing the facing as well.