Which expansions are recommended in which order?

By RedMageStatscowski, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

My friend who plays Descent but have no internet connection asked me to ask you descent players. Which expansions are recommended and get them at which order? He can only buy them one by one.

The internet is a wonderful thing. It has already answered your question many times over . :)

Good luck finding a consensus. :)

I'm doing this right now and from my reading of different posts on this message board, I've found the consensus seems to be:

1. Altar of Despair

2. Tomb of Ice (or, you could buy Tomb of Ice first if you want the better heroes, which is what I plan on doing)

3. Well of Darkness

4. Road to Loegend/ Sea of Blood

1.tomb of ice or well of darkness or altar of despair

2.road to legend or sea of blood

3.whichever you don't have (ToI or WoD or AoD)

1. Well of Darkness (Makes it harder for the Heroes with the Treachery)

2. Tomb of Ice (Makes it easier again for the Heroes with the Feats)

3. Altar of Despair

4. Road to Loegend/ Sea of Blood

I bought Well of Darkness from my LGS. As, that is what they had. When I get around to it, I plan on one day acquiring Altair of Despair.

I was under the impression that RtL was the first one folks should get...? I heard it makes Descent thousands of times better.

MacLeod said:

I was under the impression that RtL was the first one folks should get...? I heard it makes Descent thousands of times better.

It might make it better, but first of all, it CHANGES the game > you're playing campaign, instead of playing single missions, with new heroes and skills each time.
IMHO it is not a matter of better/worse, but just different.

I've got RtL on order right now, but me and my group are loving SoB. All the current rules in one nice neat Rule Book is worth it. Plus, we got more than a few pirate fans in our circle, so the ship to ship battles are much loved.

As MacLeod says, it is greatly different from the 'regular' Descent. Get ready to toss out the old maps, for the most part if you decide to play the AC. However, RTL and The Ice Tomb one, seem to have extra 'random dungeons'.

When I first heard of Descent I was disappointed that the dungeons were not random. Picking up SoB and seeing that RtL and the Icy Frozen Expansion included Random Dungeons (which can all used together) made Descent what I hoped it was going to be. Plus, the players love being able to take things from one dungeon to the next.

That said. *cough cough* I love SoB, but for most people, they may want to want a bit until some of the fixes are done. It is kinda missing a token or two. So you need to get a little creative when dropping some maps.