Runewars TMG vs Battlelore

By jonboyjon1990, in BattleLore

So I purchased the Battlelore Core Set back in March and have only been able to get it to the table twice since (I've tons of other games)

My main reasons for purchasing was that it looked like a good light wargame, that would act as a nostalgia trip and fill a gap in my gaming life, from when I moved away from my Warhammer/GW dabblings as a pre-teen over 10 years ago.

The other main idea behind my purchase was that it would achieve the above ^^^ whilst being an 'standalone out of the box' experience - there isn't tons of dice, tokens, upgrade cards, a 'meta' or tons of listbuilding - in fact a big plus was that the list building was very light and was part of the game.

You see I've got all of X-Wing, Imperial Assault and Armada, but if you try to play those games with people that aren't dedicated X-Wing/IA/Armada players themselves, it's incredibly heavy for them and intimidating.

But now Runewars TMG has been announced - and whilst it looks like it'll be as heavy/fiddly/involved as those 3 SW games (and therefore suffer from the same 'intimidation factor') - it looks to be a better and deeper system.

Perhaps I just need to play Battlelore a lot more to appreciate it's depth, but I wonder that the 'cost' of the out of the box experience is a game system that I feel is too light?

Then again, Runewars TMG will (probably) be released with a distribution model of waves of expansions - coming out at a relentless pace - just like the SW trio - so I've probably not got the energy/money for that - and 100s of minis to paint too...

---------------------------------------

Sorry that post is basically just a stream of consciousness...

All i can add is that I also being a competitive x-wing player with a collection of the big 3 star wars mini games and Battlelore feel about the same as you. I also wonder if we will still see more Battlelore coming and know if this is like the Star wars mini games with constant waves its a stretch to do those 3 a 4th probably isn't possible despite being a fan of the Terrinoth universe

I was getting all 3 but dropped Armada before wave 2. It is just too expensive to attempt to keep up on all of those. As it is I am behind on IA deluxe expansions and add ons from the last few waves. I plan to at least stay on top of the deluxe boxes if nothing else. Armada is barely played at all and IA has a much smaller player base too. As much as I prefer IA, XW brings in the players and is easier to find games of it.

I hope to see more fluff and stuff for Terrinoth but so far I like what I have seen for RWTMG. It gives that look and feel of a mass combat game with hordes of troops on both sides but with an easy elegant system that has a lot of depth. The double dial thing is sheer genius. I could see XW 2.0 incorporating that if it ever happens, it uses different dice like IA and Armada based on the troops/attack involved and has surges like IA. Overall a very unique take on the wargaming genre.

Now bring me my Uthuk'Yllan!!

I play X-Wing but only have the core set of Imperial Assault. The thing with these games is that the core set only gives you so many options for 2-player skirmish out of the box. (The IA campaign is a whole different story.) I like BattleLore a lot for the reasons mentioned above. You don't have to worry about customizing your army ahead of time and you don't have to worry about deciding who gets which upgrades from a limited pool. Each side has comparable units and each has its own lore deck. You just shuffle some decks, deal some cards, choose your units and start playing. This is so refreshing for me after playing customized games like Star Wars LCG and X-Wing. Sure, BattleLore does have customization, but it doesn't require a lot of foreknowledge of the game which makes it so nice. I don't have to worry about creating balanced teams for two people before playing. And if someone is still intimidated by the options, we can choose to use the pre-made army cards.

I already have X-Wing, so I don't need another in-depth game like that. As fancy as RuneWars looks, I think BattleLore fits my play-style and the types of people I play with much more than RuneWars will.

I actually came really close to trading away my battlelore - I felt like I needed to buy at least the blue and red army packs to make it worthwhile, but really wanted the Undead too.

Thing is at retail that's around £150.

But I had invested time painting some of the core set - and just yesterday found an awesome deal on facebook - Core Set + dice + all 4 army packs for only £90. I'll flip the core set + dice to get even more money back.

I think even if my concerns about the game being light still hold up - it'll feel better having a much bigger system to play around with - and that's the whole point of Battlelore right? A light warhammer like system in a box - no listbuilding for me and no hand holding for opponents

I actually came really close to trading away my battlelore - I felt like I needed to buy at least the blue and red army packs to make it worthwhile, but really wanted the Undead too.

Thing is at retail that's around £150.

But I had invested time painting some of the core set - and just yesterday found an awesome deal on facebook - Core Set + dice + all 4 army packs for only £90. I'll flip the core set + dice to get even more money back.

I think even if my concerns about the game being light still hold up - it'll feel better having a much bigger system to play around with - and that's the whole point of Battlelore right? A light warhammer like system in a box - no listbuilding for me and no hand holding for opponents

Sounds like an awesome deal! I hope you enjoy it!