How do you manage the iPad in a gaming group?

By Alnaar, in Mansions of Madness

I've only played the game solo, but was wondering how folks are dealing with the hardware they have the app on during a gaming session with a group. Do you pass the app around? Does someone run the app and read for the group? Something in between?

Thanks.

I use a laptop and have one group member do all of the reading/control of the app. Seems to work the best with a single person taking care of it in my opinion. I would recommend getting some sort of stand for your device so the entire play group can read along / see whats going on.

I use the Steam version on a laptop. Generally whoever activates a token via investigating or exploring will click and read the dialogue. Otherwise it is just whoever is closest.

I will be operating the app fully. I was a keeper in MoM1 100% of the time, so this'll be only natural. Passing app around seems to tideous.

I wonder if in a future update they may consider an internet or wifi connection between tablets so that it could run simultaneously across multiple tablets? One being the master tablet (doing the actual processing), the others being slaves and really just input/display devices for the other players.

Wouldnt use it myself but I imagine there will be some people who would like all sat around the table to be following it on their own tablets while playing.

I got an apple TV and I case my iPhone's screen to it. Everyone can follow, and the louder music makes for a pretty immersive environment. 10/10 would recommend, until the come out with a tvOS version :)

Likewise I generally read all the descriptions, monster encounters, etc. I hand the Ipad over for puzzles or specific clues such as pages of a book for the person involved, this works well as its now up to them to relay that information as they see it to the rest of the group

I got an apple TV and I case my iPhone's screen to it. Everyone can follow, and the louder music makes for a pretty immersive environment. 10/10 would recommend, until the come out with a tvOS version :)

A single tablet passed around seems to exclude players and be less immersive. Broadcasting the app to a large screen TV while each player handles the tablet for their turn allows for a much better experience. It's not perfect but it does allow players to follow along more closely with what's going on.