Questions about evade tests and move/attack from certain monsters

By grouik2, in Mansions of Madness

Hello fellow cultists ! :ph34r:

I have 2 questions :

- About evade : " If an investigator in a monster’s space attempts to move out of the monster’s space voluntarily or perform any action other than the attack action or move action , that investigator must resolve an evade check. "

What does this mean ? It is written just before that if you move out of a monster's space you have to resolved an evade check. Why would you do a move action to not move ?

- About monsters target. Most monsters specify the targer and how they attack it : in range or in it's space (or adjacent). For example : " The Deep One Hybrid moves 2 spaces toward the nearest investigator. Then it attacks the investigator in its space with the most Items. ". But a few specify a type of investigator but no range/space. What do we do in this case ? The Hunting Horror is a good example. " The Hunting Horror moves 3 spaces toward the investigator within range with the most Items. Then it attacks that investigator ." what happens if the investigator is not on the space ?

Many thanks. :D

Hello fellow cultists ! :ph34r:

I have 2 questions :

- About evade : " If an investigator in a monster’s space attempts to move out of the monster’s space voluntarily or perform any action other than the attack action or move action , that investigator must resolve an evade check. "

What does this mean ? It is written just before that if you move out of a monster's space you have to resolved an evade check. Why would you do a move action to not move ?

- About monsters target. Most monsters specify the targer and how they attack it : in range or in it's space (or adjacent). For example : " The Deep One Hybrid moves 2 spaces toward the nearest investigator. Then it attacks the investigator in its space with the most Items. ". But a few specify a type of investigator but no range/space. What do we do in this case ? The Hunting Horror is a good example. " The Hunting Horror moves 3 spaces toward the investigator within range with the most Items. Then it attacks that investigator ." what happens if the investigator is not on the space ?

Many thanks. :D

It's a little redundant. Basically saying "If you try to move" or "Do anything except attack... or move... cause we already addressed it". Which is why I personally prefer to word it as "If you try to perform any action except attack, you must evade"

The wording on that hunting horror example is a little funky, but here is the thing "In range" means "Within 3 spaces". So if you are able to move 3 spaces toward someone in range, you will ALWAYS be in their space. So the catch there is that there has to be an investigator within range in order for the hunting horror to move and attack.

However I did read someone post a bug that certain monster attacks do not specify range or within the same space, and these should be reported.

Edited by Inmate4251

Ah thanks ! So those monsters only attack if within range... So if behind a door they do nothing ! :lol:

Ah thanks ! So those monsters only attack if within range... So if behind a door they do nothing ! :lol:

When worded in the way that example was given, then yes. T he Hunting Horror moves 3 spaces toward the investigator within range with the most Items.

I read that as "If there is no investigator in range, then the hunting horror doesn't move"

When worded in the way that example was given, then yes. T he Hunting Horror moves 3 spaces toward the investigator within range with the most Items.

I read that as "If there is no investigator in range, then the hunting horror doesn't move"

That is very clear and helpful thank you. :)