Doors vs doorways for range

By Hockeyabe, in Mansions of Madness

Hello fellow investigators...

When it comes to Range, does a doorway block? It says range cannot be traced through doors, but as there are no doors on the board as they are in the form of explore tokens, I assume range must be in the same room and that the doorway blocks it?

I know it can be counted in a hall, to a connected room with no door.

Here are two examples, one where it is beneficial to the investigators, and one where it isn't.

1) I am in a hall and a monster is in the library in the very next space, I assume they are not in range as the door blocks it? I is investigator, : is doorway, M is monster.

I : M

2) I am in a library and an investigator in the next space is in the lounge. She has an ability to allow any investigator one reroll per round. I could not benefit from this as we are not in the same room?

I : I

This is how we played it, so it balanced out as we used our understanding of the rule in both cases.

And if range is three spaces, can it go around corners? This did not come up, but it could.
Is the top M and bottom I in range of each other, assuming there is no door? X are empty spaces.

X M
X
I

There are no rules like line of sight as it is meant to be less tactical.

Edited by Abe

Range is blocked by doors. There is no concept of open or closed doors in the game, and there is no concept of doorways; doors are space edges represented by a gap in the wall (as per Rules Reference, pag 8, section "Doors"). You are not allowed to trace Range through a door. This means you can't shoot through the Door, but you also don't have the test Horror if monster and investigator are on different sides of the same door.

Hope this helps

Edited by Julia

And yes, you count three for the range so you can have some curious angled trajectories.

Range is blocked by doors. There is no concept of open or closed doors in the game, and there is no concept of doorways; doors are space edges represented by a gap in the wall (as per Rules Reference, pag 8, section "Doors"). You are not allowed to trace Range through a door. This means you can shoot through the Door, but you also don't have the test Horror if monster and investigator are on different sides of the same door.

Hope this helps

Hi Julia,

Thank you!

We all know HP Lovecraft had a curiosity about odd angles.

As for the doors, I do not have the game in front of me... Do the guns say they may be fired through doors on the cards? we have yet to have a gun, only 2X4, brass knuckles, and a crowbar. Only range came up during abilities and monsters... you said you can shoot through a door, but that contradicts the rest of your explanation.

Thank you for the clarification!

Abe,

sorry, the darn autocorrect changed can't to can . You are not allowed to trace range through doors, sorry for the typo in the above post

I don't have 2nd edition yet, but I know in 1st edition, the shotgun specifically could shoot through doors (and the card mentions this). So I would assume if it maintained this trait in 2nd edition it would be mentioned on the card.

There are some things that ignore doors, walls, and impassable barriers when calculating range. The one that leaps to mind is the Hound of Tindalos.

And yes, you count three for the range so you can have some curious angled trajectories.

So, shooting around the corner (in a "Г" manner) is still a thing?

So, shooting around the corner (in a "Г" manner) is still a thing?

It's the hype(rbole) of the moment...

There is no concept of open or closed doors in the game, and there is no concept of doorways; doors are space edges represented by a gap in the wall (as per Rules Reference, pag 8, section "Doors").

Julia although I havent played yet I was rummaging through the components last night and was sure there were some door-counters. How does this fit with the no-doorways concept?

Thanks in advance :)

There is no concept of open or closed doors in the game, and there is no concept of doorways; doors are space edges represented by a gap in the wall (as per Rules Reference, pag 8, section "Doors").

Julia although I havent played yet I was rummaging through the components last night and was sure there were some door-counters. How does this fit with the no-doorways concept?

Door tokens are supposed to be placed on walls without doors to serve as doors.

These are used to add doors where there are walls. ;)

Ahhhhh thank you, understood, more map flexibility :)

I assume that if a room with a doorway is put against a room-wall (brown line) without such a doorway, this is taken as no-doorway (like a door opening against a bricked up wall) yes? or does the "opening" over-ride the "wall" and result in a door (Im thinking wall takes priority)

I assume that if a room with a doorway is put against a room-wall (brown line) without such a doorway, this is taken as no-doorway (like a door opening against a bricked up wall) yes? or does the "opening" over-ride the "wall" and result in a door (Im thinking wall takes priority)

Wall takes prio but anyways the app will tell you.

Thank you much appreciated :)

Always a pleasure to help a fellow cultist ! :ph34r:

Always a pleasure to help a fellow cultist ! :ph34r:

Shh.....

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

;)

There are also wall tokens that are placed on half-doors to prevent confusion.