Killer GM's

By Ichiban11, in Dark Heresy

Third time posting it. I can't figure out how to migrate the old post.

How willing are you to kill your PC's? What is the coolsest/lamest death?

None of my Guys are dead yet (curse my conscience). Though some cool near deaths; Plasma Cannons, falling light covers (yes FALLING LIGHT COVERS), Genestealer, Lance Strikes, Full Auto bursts the the face to name a few.

Sure I did make some perma-burn Fate points, but no Perma-Death....yet.

Did have one guy Perma-burn fate point to reroll a shot to kill a sniper that really wasn't hurting him ... or ... anybody...else.

too early yet, but a player was reduced to zero wounds by a full auto burst from an autogun at point blank range. It was only funny since he charged across the room screaming, holding his hammer aloft, only to find out that chainmail isn't effective against assault rifles.

It´s not neccessary for the GM to create dangerous situations, the players are very capable of threaten themselves. Our GM is not going to kill us, for we are silly enough to get us killed without his help.

Once the cleric and the psiker were close to kill themselves because the cleric has the opinion that the psiker is an abomination and thus it happend that both of them were looking at the barrels of their guns, ion the last second I could keep them from shooting.

Another situation I was the idiot. My character was very angry because some things that happend and didn´t hink propperly and because of fals pride I created a situation where I pissed off an agent of the Black Ships, currently my charakter is in hospital with a new, metallic leg. It was close for my character even without my GM pushing the situation, in fact he tried to prevent the death of the char. but it would´ve happend if one of my didn´t get my char. into the hospital.

I don't have to try to kill my players characters, they are doing their best at that on their own.

Actually I had to fiddle couple of my dice rolls to prevent unnessessary death and turn it to extremely near death experience.

If they goof around or make stupid decision, then by all means, I'll let them. Then they just have to face the consiquensies. Actually the mission I am running for them is because they messed up their previous mission. Sort of "mopping up your own mess" -type of mission. Which leads to deep, deep, DEEP undercity of Scintilla. 4 sessions later they are getting NEAR where they are going, and I'll bet after 2 sessions they'll have 1-2 sessions of getting back up to civilization... *Evil grin*

I usually prepare 3-5 possible ways they can go when plot thickens, but most of the times they go on their own way.. Maybe I have to hit my head with a hammer 5 times and drink half a bottle Koskenkorva before thinking what they might do. That way I might guess what they are going to do. *laughs*

Anyway, long story short, I don't kill my players intentionally. If they mess up bad enough, then the Grim Reaper might get what is coming for him.

I've told my players that they may well lose many characters in this campaign.. So far its actually proving relatively difficult to do without actually offing the entire team :P

Automatic weapons are likely to be the great leveller however, as will intelligent enemies.

Currently they are on a feudal world so peasant hordes are more the order of the day, however at some point they will move to more technological forces. Zombies worried them due to numbers, but so far the only things to really stand a good chance of finishing them have been a quartet of Incarnate demons, although because of plot those attacked only 2 at a time.

If you are intending to use a Single enemy to molest the players bear several things in mind. The first being do they have automatic weapons.

Genestealers will for certain butcher your weaker players (aka adepts, or other non combat heros). They might well cripple your stronger ones too.

but as long as you have fate points, its pretty hard to erase someone permanently.

Ichiban11 said:

How willing are you to kill your PC's? What is the coolsest/lamest death?

Based on our current campaign, I'd me more concerned with the players characters willingness to inflict harm upon one another. But it has made for some crackin' good story/game play.

The GM has to be willing to kill characters. If not then players will run rampant without any fear of the consequences.

Sometimes they run rampant anyway.

In my most recent session one of the PC was planning to assassinate an important noble. He tricked another PC into arranging a meeting w/ said paranoid noble. When going through the Noble's security our would be killer was picked out by the nobles security psyker (who used soul sight and rolled high enough to read that the particular character had malign intent toward his mistress.

As a result of this that character was separated from his ally stripped and locked in a basement cell to await torture. Alone and facing certain dealth the PC pulled the bone knife he had hidden in the concealed pocket in his chest cavity. (He had the talent, and fooled the weapon scanners by having a weapon w/ the density of bone concealed up against his ribcage)

So he pulls a knife on the psyker, kills him, then proceeds to murder his way through the nobelwoman's security force, stealing weapons and armor along the way. Starting with a bathrobe and a knife 1 character proceeded to massacre 28 enemy troops, all with higher WS, BS, S & T than him, five of whom were in power armor.

How did he do it? 3 things - 1) has the talent that gives higher AB for purposes of initiative and always went first, 2) is a void born who rolled 3 FP at character creation, then rolled +1 FP on emperor's tarot, 3) for six hours of game session, all in vicious combat, he rolled higher than 20 maybe 1 out of 5 rolls. Sheer defiance of any mathematical probability.

I can't say I was trying to kill him, just trying to realistically model security force for the target he was trying to kill. Never expected him to attempt to single-handedly murder the entire facility....much less to succeed. Luck can do crazy, crazy things.

As player, I know my GM could kill us with just about anything and Im pretty sure he really does try but I would have to say Im more worried about my fellow PC killing me. You just never know what going though some else mind and if they will help you when the chips are down or just turn tail and run.

DocIII said:

In my most recent session one of the PC was planning to assassinate an important noble. He tricked another PC into arranging a meeting w/ said paranoid noble. When going through the Noble's security our would be killer was picked out by the nobles security psyker (who used soul sight and rolled high enough to read that the particular character had malign intent toward his mistress.

As a result of this that character was separated from his ally stripped and locked in a basement cell to await torture. Alone and facing certain dealth the PC pulled the bone knife he had hidden in the concealed pocket in his chest cavity. (He had the talent, and fooled the weapon scanners by having a weapon w/ the density of bone concealed up against his ribcage)

So he pulls a knife on the psyker, kills him, then proceeds to murder his way through the nobelwoman's security force, stealing weapons and armor along the way. Starting with a bathrobe and a knife 1 character proceeded to massacre 28 enemy troops, all with higher WS, BS, S & T than him, five of whom were in power armor.

How did he do it? 3 things - 1) has the talent that gives higher AB for purposes of initiative and always went first, 2) is a void born who rolled 3 FP at character creation, then rolled +1 FP on emperor's tarot, 3) for six hours of game session, all in vicious combat, he rolled higher than 20 maybe 1 out of 5 rolls. Sheer defiance of any mathematical probability.

I can't say I was trying to kill him, just trying to realistically model security force for the target he was trying to kill. Never expected him to attempt to single-handedly murder the entire facility....much less to succeed. Luck can do crazy, crazy things.

That. Is. Awesome.

Headhanger said:

DocIII said:

That. Is. Awesome.

Seconded.

I personally would have little problem with killing the PC's if they do something that should kill them. If it's pure bad luck, I just maim them.Hell, I might not be able to kill a PC, but if hes blind and deaf, his potential's quite limited.

DocIII said:

That's freaking brilliant! :o

Locque said:

I personally would have little problem with killing the PC's if they do something that should kill them.

At our last session, the guardsman (a Tranch War veteran with 22 Int) saw a mutant abomination crawling over some fuel tanks. Since he's Paranoid, he started firing before the other PCs could act.

"That's promethium!" shouted the Adept.

"What's promethium?" the guardsman replies.

BOOM .

* Gorgonid mine collapses on the acolytes *