"Escape from Innsmouth" scenario - necessitates losing playthroughs?

By cheeseburglar, in Mansions of Madness

Noticed a problem with the scenario after multiple playthroughs. Based on the intro paragraph we are told we need to find information on the Marsh family, yet to finish you need to do four more things, only three of which are divulged before the very end. Often the final escape portion necessitates you going back and clearing the whole map of any un-resolved information points just in case, by which time you are of course insane, or severely gimped and pursued by multiple spawns. This could be fixed with a little more info in the opening paragraph, and clearer info on the objectives as you reveal them. In one case you are given the last objective once you've made a mad, last desperate dash to the docks and are likely surrounded and blocked in. To then tell us we need to go to the other side of the map at that point is just cruel.

Losing a scenario doesn't automatically make it un-fun, but without clearly defining the objectives early enough for us to complete the scenario is unfair. And unfair is un-fun. Unless you're quite lucky or go through the map uncovering *every* piece of available information (dangerously wasting a lot of time), there's little chance players could complete this scenario first time out. It'll happen, but as a rarity unless they know the things and sequence to do them in. Is losing multiple times part of the design aesthetic?

Maybe this is their new key to "replayability". A digression, but I've seen the concept in some of these games that because it's Lovecraft and an unforgiving universe, that games aren't meant to be won anymore unless you lose them a few times first or get lucky. Maybe this was the idea?? I'm curious what would be the point of designing or playing a game you would rarely win? It should be fun despite the genre. You can provide horror and allow winning. You could even allow the characters to lose and the game to be won. Not winning does not equal Lovecraftian nihilism... it equals people not pulling the game off the shelf. (End of digression, lol).

The map didn't change in my playthroughs at all, though some spawns varied in place though never in type. I haven't played the other scenarios yet so I'm reserving judgement on the game in total for now, but if this is the way they provide replayability this time out -giving limited information on the objectives until the very end, forcing us to lose a few games-if this is the idea, it's a very bad design choice.