Lure of the Pumpkin King (thoughts)

By Uvatha, in Talisman Home Brews

Another expansion idea I was having was a set around the pumpkin king.

Who is he? What is he? Why does the night of the pumpkin king happen. I mean I know its a Bloodmoonish type of thing but I was thinking of geting down to a better understanding of the king.

Any ideas or even artwork I could use for a homebrew set?

I finished my first basic design (I try to get a few hours in now and then coming up with new ideas) I normally start with the art then work my way through the different cards and their effects taking some stuff from the game at the moment. Its still early days but you can see how the cards are coming along I still have to do the Pumpkin King ending and the Pumpkin Prince character card but its looking good so far.

The Lure effect will be basically as follows:

Start of the game every character will start off with 1 Pumpkin counter (there might need to be min of 4 players then if I go ahead with this effect) when your instructed to "Lure" you must do the following in this order:

1) If you have 1 or more Pumpkin counters you must give 1 of them to another character.

2) If you do not have any Pumpkin counters you must take 1 from another character.

Basically when you get 3 Pumpkin counters you cannot heal life or replenish fate until you do not have 3 Pumpkin counters.

If at anytime you get your 4th Pumpkin counter, well that's bad you become the Pumpkin Prince a character that is under the control of the Pumpkin King and your options become very limited :) .

Its going to be a lot of fun designing this - I will do the art at least soon and post.

Please any comments ideas, don't be shy.

Links to the Lure of the Pumpkin King cards at the moment:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96ovjicauciolac/AACVBFKC568tjQP22kq3wxcqa?dl=0

Edited by Uvatha

I like the story that's great the ending is a bit too much like other endings like the Ice Queen I wanted something else of course because I have pumpkin king cards but its a huge help of course. Could I take the story because it fits really well with the set.

I thought the story worked with your set. Glad you liked it, feel free to use it. I also felt the ending was a bit too much like some others too, so I would like to see you ideas. I do like having a tie in with the time card though.

I thought the story worked with your set. Glad you liked it, feel free to use it. I also felt the ending was a bit too much like some others too, so I would like to see you ideas. I do like having a tie in with the time card though.

Yeah but in designing the set I'm trying to keep away from other sets special rules and cards I think I have to run with the Terrain card rules but with a little editing for Pumpkin Land cards.

Right'o' major update now done the cards and put them in a printable set, starting play-testing and making the rules PDF.

Have a looky and any spelling mistakes, silly rule errors or just not enough pumpkins remarks are very welcome indeed. Easy enough to have some typos sneak in :) .

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/osmfht336skq02c/AAAmhxktAShFsDCBlLYvICV_a?dl=0

You always produce the most interesting twists.

Nice work.

Only one question. If the Crowning of the Pumpkin King occurs is there any way other than a player sacrificing themselves to cancel its effect?

You always produce the most interesting twists.

Nice work.

Only one question. If the Crowning of the Pumpkin King occurs is there any way other than a player sacrificing themselves to cancel its effect?

Thanks a lot Its good to get positive feedback.

If the Pumpkin Prince dies then it goes away and the Ending that was there before takes over. It may need to be explained better on Ending card but hopefully I will pick it up in play testing. Plus a Character does not sacrifice themselves when they land on the CoC it goes away and the last Ending takes over.

Basically it becomes a Ending that needs the character who is the Pumpkin Prince to land on it to win if he doesn't he loses.

Updated now PDF rules done some card tweaks ended up with 54 Pumpkin King cards.

Now first B&W print and play testing with fellow gamers :) .

Have you seriously never seen the nightmare before Christmas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Skellington

Yes, but I do not think that's what the Pumpkin King should be in Talisman.

The card is so out of place in Talisman it probably shouldn't have even been made lol

The card is so out of place in Talisman it probably shouldn't have even been made lol

Hmmm, but that's true about a lot of the cards in Talisman. I suppose it comes down to a matter of opinion.

Update: got some more art so I'm bumping the cards up from 50+ to around 80+.

Update major change in cards and effects needed some editing settled on 58 cards 9 land cards.

Coming along very nicely I had one play test with 3 characters everyone liked it. A few issues came up and re-thoughts. Updated some cards added some more now running at 68 deck cards.

Will go through another play test and crank it up a level. So....

5c9e39d3575aa748ec8fdf4755246449.jpg

And Now!.. The play-testing begins (well the major play testing, not the lets just throw the cards around the room and see who gets what :) ).

103b079ec63df00e7d69b8418c818e5d.jpg