The larger scale ground war Star Wars Miniatures game

By Flavorabledeez, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

I'm starting to think that it's time for FFG to develop a game of ground combat with a larger scale than Imperial Assault. A scale that could have AT-ATs, AT-STs, T-47 snowspeeders, troop platoons, "artillery" in the form of a recon unit that can call in orbital strikes, hero units, somewhat reliable air support (Y-wings, TIE Bombers, TIE Fighters, X-wings...), etc.

Something as a cross between Flames of War and Dropship Commander. Probably could easily tie into Rogue One as well. I use Flame of Wars for its ability to have incredible objectives AND its ability to incorporate "hero units" into all aspects of the game (including air support), I say Dropship Commander for its initial simplicity and for its terrain being cardboard based.

Runewars is a great start to a system that might lend itself to a game like this, at least at my first glance of it.

Just don't forget the objectives, campaign, and easy to set up cardboard terrain (building, etc).

Thanks for all you do and keep up the good work!

Thoughts from others?

I am using the figures from imperial assault and the rules to west end games star wars miniature battles look it up its kind of fun with exactly what you are looking for IMO

I would buy figures on the armada scale.

But no blank sides on the dice, please.

I have been wanting something like this for a while now.

The minis don't have to be too big, or not heroic scale at least. Maybe something along the lines of 20mm? Prepainted, of course...but I suppose prepainted is easier on larger scale minis?

The big appeal of games like X-Wing, for me at least, is the size of the minis and not needing a massive playing field for a game. Working on this concept, a battlefield Star Wars game where you don't need a large table to play would be really appealing. I guess the big thing would be to make sure, like with X-Wing, a 3'x3' table/mat would be adequate for a basic game right out of the starter box.

Also, from a stores perspective, it wouldn't take up nearly as much shelf space as something of a bigger scale.

With the amount of history to draw on in the Star Wars universe, you could get several waves out of the game.