Deckbuilding?

By Supertoe, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Swapping out cards costs XP? That's lame. If a deluxe box or mythos pack comes out and it has cards that would be perfect for my current deck, I don't care if I'm mid-campaign, I will swap out cards for the new ones, XP be damned.

The deluxe boxes are supposed to be the start of the campaigns, so you wouldn't have to pay xp to swap cards at that point. (Unless you're still playing the previous campaign when you get the deluxe, I suppose.)

Swapping out cards costs XP? That's lame. If a deluxe box or mythos pack comes out and it has cards that would be perfect for my current deck, I don't care if I'm mid-campaign, I will swap out cards for the new ones, XP be damned.

The deluxe boxes are supposed to be the start of the campaigns, so you wouldn't have to pay xp to swap cards at that point. (Unless you're still playing the previous campaign when you get the deluxe, I suppose.)

Yeah, I meant mostly I'm in the middle of a campaign when new stuff releases. Let's say I'm on quest 2 of 3 and the first Mythos pack releases in that time and some cards in that pack would be perfect for my current deck. I'm not going to start over to include those new 0 level cards, or swap them out for XP. I'll slot them in right then and there and continue my campaign. I'm mainly here for the gameplay, the mechanics, not the story. Hopefully we'll see what the official rules say next month.

Well you can do whatever you want - FFG is not going to hunt you down ;)

Like the victory point mechanic in LotR was completely ignored by the players...

I feel it very possible that if they have lvl 0 cards in the mythos packs, they will want you to swap them out with xp. at least I will. It's like finding new supplies mid investigation. It seems that's what the whole xp system is for: either swapping out supplies to somewhat prepare for a new situation, or focusing on improving things you've already brought with you. Everyone is going to play their own way, so enjoy it how you see fit.