Being Thick - Help with combat?

By palleon, in Mansions of Madness

Yes, I'm being dumb and not getting it at all.

Example 1 - I have a Flare gun. It says "Each monster in the space receives 2 damage and place a fire token in the area"

The instructions say to use an item click on the backpack icon, select it etc. I do this, there are no icons there to click on.

So, I presume I am supposed to do the damage instead. I click on the monster in the list and add 2 to it. It then asks me "what weapon are you using? heavy? light? etc". There is no mention of "item" or "equipment". If I click any of the answers given the monster then starts combat with me and I'm told to roll dice to determine damage. So that can't be right, as it's supposed to be 2 damage.

Example 2 - The app says I am dealt damage. I take a card, I read it. The card says "flip a horror card". I dont have any horror cards. Do I draw one and flip it? Do I ignore it as I have none?

Thanks in advance.

Example of backpack - start of the game, should have 4 items and spell?

5c32f05fc3.jpg

Edited by palleon

Asking a question that may appear dumb to others is adventurous... just like entering a cursed mansion... :ph34r:

How to get the desired results for...

Example 1:

1. Open the monster drawer by pressing the tentacles-button.
  2. Click on the icon of the monster that resides in the affected space.
  3. Apply the appropriate amount of damage by clicking on the + symbol next to it's damage counter.
  4. Click on the monster's icon again to exit the interaction menu of that monster.
  5. Repeat with all monsters also located in the affected space.
  6. Click on the tentacles-button to close the monster drawer.
  7. Click on the book icon to open the options menu and click the button labelled 'set fire' and click 'confirm', so the app is aware there is a fire.
  8. You're done! :)

Example 2:

I may be wrong on this, but the way it is written doesn't implicate that you have to draw a horror card if you don't have one.

So in this case, if you haven't a horror card to flip, you ain't flipping one. So "ignore it as I have none" would be the correct

answer in my mind.

Regarding the problems you ran into with example 1:

I can only assume that the creative decision not to show every item you carry in the app's inventory drawer, came at a later stage in development. The rules reference on page 11 under 'Inventory' states clearly that "The inventory contains only possessions that the investigators can use the app to inspect."

So I assume you found a card that still has the old text which doesn't reflect that design decision. Which basically means that card will most likely be mentioned in an upcoming FFG errata sometime in the future. :unsure:

Hope that uhhh... helps? :blink:

Edited by LagAdder

Hi,

Thank you for your help. That makes much more sense now.

May I ask another.. "adventurous" question?

What is going on with the Damage and Horror cards? I think I like the system (replacing the chits from the other games) but I dont think I get it.

From what I can work out so far - If you are damaged you take a damage card. This acts in the same way as the previous MoM games heart tokens. I now have 1 damage.
But, I normally (unless the app says otherwise) draw it faceup, and resolve what it says. If it says flip facedown I do so.

The same works for Horror.

Now is where I get stuck - when the app says draw it facedown... am I supposed to be keeping a track of which ones were "drawn" face down and which ones I was told to flip facedown? Some of the app comments tell me to flip a facedown card faceup - and some of the app comments tell me to flip a faceup card face down.

This makes me think that maybe I have misunderstood and facedown cards are not actually counted as damage / horror, or vice-versa? Or do they all count against me? (I hope not as I seem to get them at a fast rate - 2 per round so far, and I only have 8 health!)

Sorry..

As far as I understood the rules you keep the suffered damage cards in front of you until an event tells you to discard them.

For example (referring rules reference page 7 - 'Damage & Horror'):

Your investigator has 8 Health, you put each damage card he gains in his play area in front of you.

This goes on up until the point when the number of damage cards (face up & face down) is equal to or exceeds his health value of 8.

At that point, you'd gain a 'wounded' condition. Then you'd discard all facedown damage cards in front of you, so that only the ones facing up remain.

If your wounded investigator would at any point again have 8 or more damage cards in front of him - he'd be eliminated.

Horror follows the same base mechanism.

It's a new game - so don't worry about not getting everything right from the start. :)

Edit: Found the Up/Down card system clarification in the reference guide (page 7, 2nd bullet point).

Cheers again for the help folks

Edited by palleon

Damage / Horror is always dealt faceup and resolved, unless the effect giving you damage / horror specifies otherwise.

If you have to flip one facedown Damage / Horror faceup, ou first randomize the facedown cards and then flip one of them faceup

Edit: Found the Up/Down card system clarification in the reference guide (page 7, 2nd bullet point).

Cheers again for the help folks

Anytime. :)