Terrain

By period3, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Any word on whether this game supports the use of terrain? I don't really see how terrain would work with fixed templates, but then I haven't play minis games beyond x-wing/attack wing.

Also, will FFG be selling terrain?

FFG may eventually have terrain sets they'll sale. I imagine for the most part it'll be up to the players to construct their on terrain.

I've seen were people have created forest similar to the bases the figures are shown on. When you into it you remove the trees keeping the base there, when you move out you replace the trees.

I'm quite sure it uses terrain, look at the first picture with miniatures and markers on the article and you see a marker that looks like a pond.

And without rules we can't say anything about terrain, maybe it is just there to block and obscure Line of Sight, or you have to stop moving when you enter it, i'm sure there are many ways to maek terrain work with fixed templates.

I have enough terrain for 40k/9th Age/AoS that I will be able to saetup beautiful tables for this game. It seem like a nice game to introduce new playes to the genre while still have enough complexity to satiate vets of minis games.

I'm really looking forward to learn more about this one.

And with it being a regiment game, you want a somewhat open table if it follows the WHFB and KoW gameplay styles

Why would it follow other game styles?

FFG knows how to do their own miniature games unique gameplay and we don't need another WHFB game out there.

It uses "terrain" as tokens/obstacles, a la X-Wing's asteroids/debris fields. Source: GenCon demo with FFG.

FFG knows how to do their own miniature games unique gameplay and we don't need another WHFB game out there.

Well, because the regimental style is usually more practical for the players with a more open table. It's ease of measuring and moving not have whole forests in your way and such. Though, I'm sure it doesn't have to follow it's predecessors, there is a reason the majority do it a certain way.

Well, because the regimental style is usually more practical for the players with a more open table. It's ease of measuring and moving not have whole forests in your way and such. Though, I'm sure it doesn't have to follow it's predecessors, there is a reason the majority do it a certain way.

I also think that this game may be quite light on terrain. From what we've seen in the Demos, terrain may be best used as obstacles / slalom poles - moving the units vertically seems to get quite fiddly. Additonally, the curved movement templates don't allow for too precise movement - getting through a narrow passage (gate, bridge, you name it) would most likely take several turns (sidestepping, rotating and finally moving).

The box will I think come with flat cardboard terrain, which is not photogenic but more practical to play on given the maneuvering system. Just as we don't use actual rocks on elevated bases for asteroids in X-Wing...

We'll likely see neoprene (mousepad material) third party terrain almost immediately. I'll probably just re-purpose some of the stuff made for PP games.

I would approach this one as I do with Armada. You have terrain with the same "base size" as the cardboard terrain and you place it on top. Then, when any unit is going to overlap the terrain, you just remove it but leave the flat cardboard.

Considering that the field dimensions and the game length are similar to Armada, the above should work out quite well.

We'll likely see neoprene (mousepad material) third party terrain almost immediately. I'll probably just re-purpose some of the stuff made for PP games.

Things like these already exists, be it just terrain (cardboard or otherwise) or hole battlemats which include terrain.

You can certainly reuse other mats, but the dimensions may be off. PP mats would probably be 4x4 or 6x4, rather than 6x3.

I would approach this one as I do with Armada. You have terrain with the same "base size" as the cardboard terrain and you place it on top. Then, when any unit is going to overlap the terrain, you just remove it but leave the flat cardboard.

Considering that the field dimensions and the game length are similar to Armada, the above should work out quite well.

This guy's got the right idea.

You can certainly reuse other mats, but the dimensions may be off. PP mats would probably be 4x4 or 6x4, rather than 6x3.

Well 6x4 wouldn't be to bad considering you need space for the unit cards.

It has been confirmed in the GenCon videos that the game will have Diskwars/X-Wing/Armada style flat cardboard terrain in the box, BUT the rulebook will also have variant rules/tips on how to play with fully modeled 3d terrain and guidelines on how to use your existing terrain collection in the RWM ruleset. FFG is apparently really serious about this being a miniature game, non-starndard handmade terrain and all.

Edited by Don_Silvarro