Does anyone wish that this could have been Star Wars?

By IceQube MkII, in Runewars Miniatures Game

SciFi skirmish is far too different a beast, isn't it?

If it was a Cthulhu game I'd be so all over it. I'd buy doubles and triple of every unit they put put. THAT would be a rich universe with highly varied factions and some really awesome looking minis. Please let this happen someday... I know the FFG guys like Cthulhu games so maybe we have a chance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scifi skirmish is far too different a beast". Star Wars is scifi, sure, but this isn't a skirmish game. Are you referring to Imperial Assault maybe? I personally wouldn't consider that skirmish either due to the relative lack of freedom in movement and actions.

So, I downloaded the Runiverse Fluff docs that someone linked. Haven't read all of them yet, but so far it still seems kind of bland. It's mostly broken down by races which have little relationship with each other and that's boring. All the human kingdoms are pretty much on one side. So you don't have rivals, or kingdoms at war who might sometimes have to ally against a common enemy. You've got humans, dwarves, elves, and a couple assorted evil factions. They're all pretty separate, geographically, politically, economically. Just standalone guys whose only interaction with each other is occasionally being set down on a 3x6 foot table to fight for some reason.

I hope I'm missing something but right now this setting is not wowing me much.

This sort of game with L5R samuraii and such would have much more appeal. If this system comes up with a mounted knights faction, it will gain appeal. A Star Wars or WWII version of this would also have more appeal.

It is kind of moot for me though. I'm at the end of the gaming time and gaming budget and gaming storage. There just isn't room for this regardless of license. (Yet I keep reading this forum.)

Yup, but L5R could take a while to develop; still, at the InFlight report it was stated that the L5R LCG is only the first of a series of games set in that universe, so, maybe we'll have boardgames, miniature games, collectibles, and a gazillion ways more to nuke our savings..

I cannot wait to get my hands on a territory control game based on L5R :D

I for one would have absolutely zero interest if this was L5R. Samurai and ninjas and all the rest of that Far East stuff does nothing for me in general and from what I understand L5R specifically is very dense and esoteric and not easy to get into.

Only Far East themed game I ever really enjoyed was Shogun, the one with the tower and the wooden cubes. But I never had any interest in buying a copy for myself - I would if it had been medieval Europe.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

I for one would have absolutely zero interest if this was L5R. Samurai and ninjas and all the rest of that Far East stuff does nothing for me in general and from what I understand L5R specifically is very dense and esoteric and not easy to get into.

Only Far East themed game I ever really enjoyed was Shogun, the one with the tower and the wooden cubes. But I never had any interest in buying a copy for myself - I would if it had been medieval Europe.

Yeah, I think that's why they went with the usual medieval fantasy theme here. That and the fact that they own the license.

Eastern knights, western knights. Whatever. But at least L5R is already a setting about formations of foot troops with weapons like bows, spears, and swords. That makes it a better fit than trying to do something like Star Wars Ground Assault or a WWII game or whatever and then trying to figure out how to shoehorn melee into it. Not that I wouldn't love a Weird WWII minis game from FFG, but I wouldn't expect block formations and charging to be the core mechanics of such a game.

Problem is that their factions are so generic right now that they don't even manage to repel anybody other than by their blandness. Good factions have strong enough flavor that SOMEBODY loves them and SOMEBODY hates them. I was just posting in another thread about the fascination of undead factions with making all their gear out of bones even though it's a poor material, and then when it came to the humans I couldn't even think of a snarky comment. They're just too plain to find anything to poke fun of unless I maybe try to make some kind of joke about falling asleep mid-sentence while trying.

So as Star Wars and L5R where already mentioned what other universe/license would you want to see a miniature wargame game of?

For me Transformers would be very high on that list, and perhaps Galaxy Rangers, Marshall Bravestarr and Defenders of the Earth as some kind of skirmish, and a vehicle based M.A.S.K wargame would be cool and of course we need a Starcraft and Warcraft miniatures game ;)

Or a Dragon Age game.

I love the fantasy setting. As long as the world has undead, orcs, elves and dwarves I am happy. If other factions are awailable, that is just a big bonus.

PS.: I never liked the boring all-round human faction :)

I love the fantasy setting. As long as the world has undead, orcs, elves and dwarves I am happy. If other factions are awailable, that is just a big bonus.

Agreed. I have to be a human all day at work already.

That's one thing I like about where FFG is going with Daqan Lords these days. In the first Runewars, you had footmen, bowmen, knights, and siege towers. It was all pretty bland. Then in the expansion they added Roc Warriors (men flying giant eagles) and Mages to the faction, which introduced a more magical/fantasy aspect to them.

In BattleLore, they added the Rune Golems, Siege Golem (to replace the Siege Tower, I think), and Ironbound (mystically animated suits of armor).

All of this stuff makes them much more interesting than a generic human faction, in my opinion.

Even still, it's Uthuk Y'llan or nothing for me. My faction identity is already chosen.

Edited by Budgernaut

Agreed. I have to be a human all day at work already.

I enjoy Generic Human Kingdom factions to some extent. In games, these invariably default to being the most disciplined, well drilled and motivated combined arms force, and I enjoy the feel of close order ranks and formations that usually gives you. Also, in a setting like Terrinoth where you have The Human Kingdom (as in, just the one default one), 99% of the time the story will go towards the desperate defense and heroic last stand tropes, which, while extremely unoriginal, simply make for a good high fantasy story.

I usually default to tricksy pantsy elves, but truth to be told I enjoy most of the usual fantasy factions/nations/forces. Except dwarves. Dwarves never did it for me. I can see the appeal in the Grumpy Old Fart or Boisterous Viking Warrior routine you can do with a dwarf character, but as a nation, dwarves usually default to the impenetrable defenses and extreme isolationism shtick, which makes them a) boring to play with or against in games, and b) uninteresting for the story, since you have to start jumping through plot hoops to even make them interact with any other nation in the first place.

Well, one of the hallmarks of a good setting is usually putting their own twist on things to avoid the same old all the time.

A single human faction probably does work out as you said, following the standard "beset on all sides" theme. But if you can have more than one human kingdom, suddenly you get rivalries and contrasts between them. Is Kingdom A the oppressor, or the savior? Why are they opposed? Different values? One of them is evil? Worship different Gods? Some ancient reason nobody even remembers anymore? You can try to do that with human vs. elf or dwarf kingdoms but companies seldom do, usually they make the difference in race the only flavor point and kind of assume that the two can't really relate to each other in normal ways.

The basic flavor is probably already set though. If Terrinoth has grumpy tough dwarves, they're unlikely to change to crazy steampunk tinkering dwarves or persecuted dwarves who have their own secret magic that most people don't even know exists, or dwarves who swear for life into one of several different holy orders or whatever. Same with elves, undead, etc...

Warmachine has undead as a form of technology, mixing pistons, bones, flesh, and acids in service to an immortal dragon who doesn't care about things like borders or politics despite ruling (in name at least) a nation that has cities, trade ports, and so forth. Uncharted Seas has undead who aren't evil, they're the victim of an ancient curse put on them from another faction in return for trying to steal their dragon eggs and still trying to find a way to break the curse. There are other ways to go besides the standard tropes, you just have to decide to do so.

But this takes effort and nowadays many seem just to go the easy way with tolkienesque or warcraft like fantasy insetad of taking their time to make something unique.

The humans of Daqan are all divided in more or less independent baronies that do work together on occasion for issues that effect them all.

I'm a big dwarves fan but will need to see them in this game first.

I was a big fan of the Acolytes in the original Disc wars game. Wonder if they could be an option to have a second human faction.

Edited by Toqtamish

So as Star Wars and L5R where already mentioned what other universe/license would you want to see a miniature wargame game of?

For me Transformers would be very high on that list, and perhaps Galaxy Rangers, Marshall Bravestarr and Defenders of the Earth as some kind of skirmish, and a vehicle based M.A.S.K wargame would be cool and of course we need a Starcraft and Warcraft miniatures game ;)

Or a Dragon Age game.

The thought of a Transformers wargame had never even occurred to me, but now I really want such. As an added bonus they'd have to stay clear of Bayformers out of sheer necessity as nobody can tell those monstrosities apart. I think War Within -based designs would work best. Although the thought of combiners probably excites me more than anything else. M.A.S.K. would be neat, too. What I remember of the other three cartoons, though, doesn't really lend itself competitively even to skirmish-level games.

I don't see Blizzard getting into physical games again anytime soon (if ever), but it would definitely mitigate the pain of likely never getting a new true Warcraft or Starcraft video game again, and (trayless) combat would naturally work well. Plus, much of the needed balance design work would already have been taken care of by Blizzard.

Rank and file in Thedas would work great, obviously, but I am done with Bioware, so...

This kind of game is better suited to a Terrinoth/L5R kind of setting. I think that it would be very interesting if they would make both settings (were getting one of them) using the same rules for those who would like to mix both settings (or just to be easy to get into).

As a former player of WH40K (with Tyranids) I giggled everytime I played (or read) about making an old fashioned battle (rank and file) in a space age setting (like the same WH40K or even Star Wars). Imperial Assault is better suited for Star Wars than this kind of game. Orbital bombardments can do wonders...

Just my opinion.

Edited by Kentares

Well, one of the hallmarks of a good setting is usually putting their own twist on things to avoid the same old all the time.

A single human faction probably does work out as you said, following the standard "beset on all sides" theme. But if you can have more than one human kingdom, suddenly you get rivalries and contrasts between them. Is Kingdom A the oppressor, or the savior? Why are they opposed? Different values? One of them is evil? Worship different Gods? Some ancient reason nobody even remembers anymore? You can try to do that with human vs. elf or dwarf kingdoms but companies seldom do, usually they make the difference in race the only flavor point and kind of assume that the two can't really relate to each other in normal ways.

The basic flavor is probably already set though. If Terrinoth has grumpy tough dwarves, they're unlikely to change to crazy steampunk tinkering dwarves or persecuted dwarves who have their own secret magic that most people don't even know exists, or dwarves who swear for life into one of several different holy orders or whatever. Same with elves, undead, etc...

Warmachine has undead as a form of technology, mixing pistons, bones, flesh, and acids in service to an immortal dragon who doesn't care about things like borders or politics despite ruling (in name at least) a nation that has cities, trade ports, and so forth. Uncharted Seas has undead who aren't evil, they're the victim of an ancient curse put on them from another faction in return for trying to steal their dragon eggs and still trying to find a way to break the curse. There are other ways to go besides the standard tropes, you just have to decide to do so.

Two thoughts on Humans, though I don't think these will address your concerns.

a) In BattleLore: Command you had these mercenary human forces or raiders or something. In some missions, they would attack the Daqan forces, but if you beat them, you could muster them into your army in non-story modes. So an aesthetic for non-Daqan humans does exist and could be built upon. I doubt they will take this direction, though. And I think those guys were technically Daqan citizens that were law-breakers, not a totally separate faction.

b) There is the barony of Nerekhall in Terrinoth. While this is technically under the banner of the Daqan Lords, Nerekhall has always been a bit of an outsider because they have a tendency to bend -- and even break -- the laws of the land in regard to dark magic. After Waiqar's betrayal, Necromancy seems to have been outlawed, but the practice can still be found in the shadows of Nerekhall. So there is a little intrigue in Terrinoth.

I re-use my IA figures for the game, west end games made in the mid 90's I believe. Look up Star Wars miniatures battles, I have found them at half price books. I have it and some of the lead figures from when it was being produced. It has all the rules the tokens everything you need rules wise. After that enjoy terrain and board making. I like adding new effects like creatures and vehicles that heroes can use to move around the board faster. Then incorporate the scenario wins via objectives and model bases with the objectives

Also look into things like hirst arts and pet store aquarium plants and statuettes for easy terrain or alien trees

Edited by kuffdaddy

I am glad this is Terrinoth and not Star Wars.

I would love to a see a Star Wars mini game on the 8mm scale, like EPIC 40K, but only EPIC Star Wars. That would be some schizzle for my pussizzle.

a) In BattleLore: Command you had these mercenary human forces or raiders or something. In some missions, they would attack the Daqan forces, but if you beat them, you could muster them into your army in non-story modes. So an aesthetic for non-Daqan humans does exist and could be built upon. I doubt they will take this direction, though. And I think those guys were technically Daqan citizens that were law-breakers, not a totally separate faction.

b) There is the barony of Nerekhall in Terrinoth. While this is technically under the banner of the Daqan Lords, Nerekhall has always been a bit of an outsider because they have a tendency to bend -- and even break -- the laws of the land in regard to dark magic. After Waiqar's betrayal, Necromancy seems to have been outlawed, but the practice can still be found in the shadows of Nerekhall. So there is a little intrigue in Terrinoth.

Well, technically the free cities aren't really under control of the baronies. They have an agreement: Freedom and autonomy in exchange for military support in times of need (There are 8 free cities. Seven send troops, Forge makes the weapons and armor for the troops).

Well, technically the free cities aren't really under control of the baronies. They have an agreement: Freedom and autonomy in exchange for military support in times of need (There are 8 free cities. Seven send troops, Forge makes the weapons and armor for the troops).

I didn't realize that. Neat!

Where does this info on Free cities come from ?

For Humans technically the Uthuk are humans too. Just evil,crazed, barbarian, demon worshipping ones.

Where does this info on Free cities come from ?

For Humans technically the Uthuk are humans too. Just evil,crazed, barbarian, demon worshipping ones.

They mention/suggest it in RuneAge, and Runebound 3 has some stuff as well.

Edited by Toenail

I am excited for this game!!! But I'm not gonna lie, a star wars version of this that could tie with X-wing would be Awesome!