Mythos Horror Check Range

By WillemTCG, in Mansions of Madness

I'm confused about the range especially in horror check in 3th step of mythos.

The rules say:

Some effects, such as ranged attacks, horror checks, and monster effects, rely on range.

The maximum range of these effects is three spaces.

Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it.

Horror Checks

The app instructs each investigator to resolve a horror check against a single monster within range.

Each investigator resolves a horror check against the monster within range with the highest horror rating.

If an investigator is not within range of any monsters, he does not resolve a horror check.

So lets say we have the Hallway with on the lower west side the dinning + kitchen

Monster is in space most west in dinning and i'm in Hallway NW side.

Do i have to do Horror check yes/no ? as the range is going trough a door but it still is 3 spaces and monsters can move trough doors.

I didn't play the first edition MoM so if some more experienced people could help clarify thanks !

You do not have to do a horror check if the monster is on the other side of a door (that it considered a wall, and anything on the other side of a wall is not considered in range)

Just for FYI purposes. In 1st edition, horror checks were done whenever a monster entered the room you were in, or you entered a room with a monster in it. So being on the other side of a door is considered in a different room entirely.

Edited by Inmate4251

You do not have to do a horror check if the monster is on the other side of a door (that it considered a wall, and anything on the other side of a wall is not considered in range)

Just for FYI purposes. In 1st edition, horror checks were done whenever a monster entered the room you were in, or you entered a room with a monster in it. So being on the other side of a door is considered in a different room entirely.

I see so even if you have 2 adjecent space with a door in between i'm in one side monster on other side.

I dont do horror check correct ?

Thanks for answer and helping noob, we got all the other rules nailed but range just felt weird.

Edited by WillemTCG

Correct. Basically, if you can't see the monster, it can't scare you.... (realistically I know that is bull, but from a gameplay standpoint that's how it works)

A related confirmation... range seems to not indicate any los is needed, so are you "in range" around corners for horror, movement, and attacks?

yes. No Line of Sight rules have been implemented in the game. Most of the times it's fine as it is, some other times you can have a few bizarre situations (like Harvey gunning like a sniper)

Cool, thanks. I can write it off to trick shots and probing tentacles, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed it somewhere.

Is Harvey still capable of fighting like a Ninja? :D It always made me laugh out loud when that happened in 1st.

Is Harvey still capable of fighting like a Ninja? :D It always made me laugh out loud when that happened in 1st.

You should see him riding a motorbike and shotgunning Dark Youngs at the same time, with a manic laughter on his face...

I have been considering the range and doors questions.

What makes sense to me is whether a door is open. In which case I allow range to be counted through there. I also basically dont allow doors to be closed once they are open. If the door is barricaded then this blocks range.

We havent run into this situation, but if darkness separated a monster and an investigator where there was an open door as well I might consider that out of range due to the darkness.

I had read that someone posted that range does not go through doors at all. I had an investigator come in a door then barricade the door. There was a hybrid deep one on the other side of the barricade. So on her next turn she moved the barricade and cast a spell at the monster through the door that she had just cleared. Makes no sense to me that this should not work. Especially as this game plays out like a story.

Lastly I think I am going to house rule some Line of Sight until something official ( other than there being no mention of it in the offical rules). If you can trace a line from any point from one space to any point on the other space within 3 spaces ( this will also include the line having to be traced through the door artwork or door tile). this makes some sense to me in that your placement within the spaces is so wide open.

Those are my only real problems with the game thus far. Have not run into any app issues...yet. Never played 1st edition or any of the other arkham/eldritch games. But I am totally in love with this and will be looking into the others. Eldritch horror is next in my sights.

I have been considering the range and doors questions.

What makes sense to me is whether a door is open. In which case I allow range to be counted through there. I also basically dont allow doors to be closed once they are open. If the door is barricaded then this blocks range.

We havent run into this situation, but if darkness separated a monster and an investigator where there was an open door as well I might consider that out of range due to the darkness.

I had read that someone posted that range does not go through doors at all. I had an investigator come in a door then barricade the door. There was a hybrid deep one on the other side of the barricade. So on her next turn she moved the barricade and cast a spell at the monster through the door that she had just cleared. Makes no sense to me that this should not work. Especially as this game plays out like a story.

Lastly I think I am going to house rule some Line of Sight until something official ( other than there being no mention of it in the offical rules). If you can trace a line from any point from one space to any point on the other space within 3 spaces ( this will also include the line having to be traced through the door artwork or door tile). this makes some sense to me in that your placement within the spaces is so wide open.

Those are my only real problems with the game thus far. Have not run into any app issues...yet. Never played 1st edition or any of the other arkham/eldritch games. But I am totally in love with this and will be looking into the others. Eldritch horror is next in my sights.

If you're waiting for something official, it's already all laid out in the Rules Reference.

Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it.

"Within range" is up to 3 spaces away.

There is no mechanic for open or closed doors. All doors are always treated as closed.

Darkness doesn't stop range from being counted.

There is no mechanic for line of sight

It's your game. If any of this is too simple for you, then by all means implement your own house rules for it. I promise none of the designers will knock on your door to tell you that you're playing it wrong. :)

The rules were probably laid out this way to speed up gameplay as much as possible so you could focus more on the story and unfolding the mysteries. It wasn't meant to be a tactical combat simulator.

The game does not implement Line of Sight, and it's not by chance that it's not in the rules. So, waiting for something official about Line of Sight, well, could be a very long wait, and the answer will be "there is no line of sight in mansions 2.0"

Beware, I'm not saying that I'm happy with the rules about how ranged attacks work, and surely you may houserule everything you want (the real important thing is the enjoyment of the game), but there won't be anything official different from what's stated in the rules

Thanks for the responses. after reading other posts I think I am will amend my "house rules" so used to other dungeon crawl games. I only have 2 games under my belt so probably a little premature to fabricating my own rules.

It still sticks in my craw that adjacent rooms only separated by a door are not in range. So if your hell bent on casting a spell in a house you may have to do some kiting?

Again thanks for the responses

The assumption that doors are closed makes thematic sense to me, since the investigators are likely either sneaking around (and closing doors to limit notice) or hiding from monsters (and closing doors to keep the madness at bay). Shooting around corners does seem a bit odd, though.