First App Issue

By Re3nforcer, in Mansions of Madness

So I have now played 1 and 3/4 games. The first experience was great, app worked very well no issues. The second last night not so much. Both plays were the first scenario, the overall objective remained the same but how you got there was different, i.e.there was some variance in the items seeded although the puzzles were different the monsters to appear had some variation and the tile layout was completely different but I attribute this to adding the first addition tiles to the second play.

The main issue I wanted to bring up occurre during that second game, we were 2+ hours in maybe 2-3 Mythis phases from losing and one or two investigator phases from seeing if we could crack the code and win. My kindle have me a low battery warning so I ran in and grabbed my portable charger so we could continue passing it around. At this point we had just entered the mythos phase and could already tell somethings was wrong when the command the app uses to grab text was showing in the text box instead of the proper text. The next text box telling everyone to take damage appears so we do that and continue. Then the app freezes we can no longer move the map or continue to the investigators phase, save and quit or interact with the monsters. I tried several reboots that did not fix the issue and finally we had to just call it and I used the End Game button so that we could play at some other point in the future. Everyone was enjoying the game it was just pretty crappy it ended that way.

I've heard that in general, the safest way to play is via the Steam app for the CPU. It sounds like there have been several issues occuring with various "mobile" applications. I've only played one game (which was a blast, though we lost) and we used a laptop running the app via steam with no issues. It's good to report it so FFG can try to patch it, but just a heads up. So far, Steam seems to be working better.

I think maybe it's just because a cpu/laptop has more power so you're less likely to get problems with the app. I have an old kindle that won't even download the app (it's not listed in the store), but sometimes it freezes just trying to load books. :rolleyes:

So just a thought if you want to play it safe while FFG gets a patch or something figured out (if it's not you're specific device).

As someone who is involved in software development, I can say these types of issues are expected with a multi-platform app. With so many different versions of operating systems and devices available, it is likely there will be incompatibility and glitches with some of them. Usually when testing is done on multiple devices, there is a clear line defined as for which OS versions are going to be supported, so those are the versions most heavily tested. Anything outside of those defined versions are kind of a crap shoot if problems are going to come up. Since not everyone keeps their devices up to date, it is likely two people using the same exact device might have different problems or lack thereof. So when reporting issues it is always important to specify which device and which operating system version you are using. In some cases it may be as simple as updating your OS and the problem could be solved.

The more you know :P

I know it's to be expect it was just a downer as we had played nearly to the end and were not able to finish. I believe it would be nice to see a play code generated so if there is a crash on one device you can log in on another OS. Hell even having you log in using your FFG info if that would save your progress. Alchemists does a wonderful job of supporting multiple devices.

I can understand the laptop being the best option via steam I do prefer being able to pass the device around so people can take their turn themselves reading what they are interacting with etc.

Only issue I've encountered with the Steam app is that two times now I've tapped the mouse by accident causing the onscreen text/instructions to disappear. When I was attacking I simply relaunched the attack option. But when it happened during a Mythos phase I had no way to find out what I'd missed. An undo button would be lovely :) Or at the very least, don't let us leave a text box without specifically hitting exit.

Remember there's a message log you can check when these things happen (leftmost icon on the bottom of the screen). Probably not usable for combat, but if you miss an item or such, you have all the info recorded

Remember there's a message log you can check when these things happen (leftmost icon on the bottom of the screen). Probably not usable for combat, but if you miss an item or such, you have all the info recorded

I missed that, thanks.

It's not a big deal for Combat of course, but the other thing I skipped probably would have made the game a bit harder for me had I managed to read it.