No Chance of that happening...

By aslum, in UFS Rules Q & A

So what happens if you play the F: on No Chance and turn a character face up?

No_Chance.jpg

I suspect this card should be errataed to include characters in the list of card types that are discarded. As far as I can tell there is nothing in the rules that prevents this from happening, and worse the current rules would seem to indicate that it would attach to your character. There is currently no caveat in the rules to deal with a character entering the staging area face down and then turning face up, only to prevent them from entering the staging area in the from the card pool if they don't match the character.

well, what happens with a character card in your staging area?

My guess is that it stacks, but not sure if that is defined to happen only when clearing a character card played as a form at the end of your turn.

Sadly this might have to receive errata.

Ninja Cannon Fury a character face down into the staging area, No Chance to stack it.

Are you ready for Taki stacking Mitsurugi yet?

it only stacks if it has the same name as the starting character. Otherwise i beleive a character CANNOT be added to the staging area (Cannot overides Can) and thus would be discarded by default

Smazzurco said:

it only stacks if it has the same name as the starting character. Otherwise i beleive a character CANNOT be added to the staging area (Cannot overides Can) and thus would be discarded by default

Incorrect. Stacking is not mentioned in the AGR at all.

Technically not incorrect per se, but according to the rules, you are.

If a character card you played shares the same name, it is moved to the staging area. This is the extent of the mention of stacking, in the End Phase section.

Which means that if a character somehow gets into the staging area, it's fair game. This card and Quest of Souls need errata, or stacking needs to be more clearly defined.

well, as it is written, my guess then is the character card would remain in your staging area. It is not a foundation, it cannot be commited to pass checks or pay costs.

It would fuel Lion Slayer however. Other than that I think it would be useless.

Smazzurco said:

well, as it is written, my guess then is the character card would remain in your staging area. It is not a foundation, it cannot be commited to pass checks or pay costs.

guitalex2008 said:

Smazzurco said:

Not really. You can play abilities on character cards in your staging area. Remember that your starting character is also in the staging area.

Can you show me this in the AGR? I know you can play abilities on your starting character, and that stacking characthers "adds" text and abilities to your starting character.

Not saying one way or the other...but i know for a fact you cannot play E's on attacks in your staging area, unless specifically printed on the card (i.e. "playable from your staging area).

ooohhh brian..where are you? lol

Smazzurco said:

guitalex2008 said:

Smazzurco said:

Not really. You can play abilities on character cards in your staging area. Remember that your starting character is also in the staging area.

Can you show me this in the AGR? I know you can play abilities on your starting character, and that stacking characthers "adds" text and abilities to your starting character.

Not saying one way or the other...but i know for a fact you cannot play E's on attacks in your staging area, unless specifically printed on the card (i.e. "playable from your staging area).

ooohhh brian..where are you? lol

Since people want the AGR cited:

9.9 If the card is a version of the character card you are playing, it is moved to the staging area.
9.9.1 If the card is a character card with a name different than the one being played, it is placed in the discard pile.

2.1.13 When there are multiple character cards in a staging area (See 9.9), they are considered one card for all effects, except those that specifically count or reference the number of characters in play.

2.1.14 While a player has another version, indicated by the dots before and after a character’s name, of their character card in play, their character gains all the text the later played version has in its text box, as well as any resource symbols that the later version has that the original did not already have. The character retains all text and resource symbols on the original card as well.

So I'm not sure where people are getting that there is nothing in the AGR regarding character stacking.

Now, outside of sealed where a character can be played as a face-down foundation for 3 difficulty, how else would a character card enter the staging area face down?

tekken forces :D

Antigoth said:

Since people want the AGR cited:

9.9 If the card is a version of the character card you are playing, it is moved to the staging area.
9.9.1 If the card is a character card with a name different than the one being played, it is placed in the discard pile.

2.1.13 When there are multiple character cards in a staging area (See 9.9), they are considered one card for all effects, except those that specifically count or reference the number of characters in play.

2.1.14 While a player has another version, indicated by the dots before and after a character’s name, of their character card in play, their character gains all the text the later played version has in its text box, as well as any resource symbols that the later version has that the original did not already have. The character retains all text and resource symbols on the original card as well.

So I'm not sure where people are getting that there is nothing in the AGR regarding character stacking.

I said there was nothing in the AGR that dealt properly w/ extra characters already in the staging area (well unless you want to be able to Tekken Forces > No Chance >Wacky Character Stack). Section 9 refers to clearing the card pool if I'm not mistaken. According to a strict interpretation of rules 2.1.13 the cards would attach. Though, to be Frank (sorry Frank), 2.1.14 suggests that if you attach SCIII *Cassandra* to SCIV *Cassandra* you won't gain any benefit.

Ultimately though, just a small errata on No Chance would fix this.

aslum said:

Antigoth said:

I said there was nothing in the AGR that dealt properly w/ extra characters already in the staging area (well unless you want to be able to Tekken Forces > No Chance >Wacky Character Stack). Section 9 refers to clearing the card pool if I'm not mistaken. According to a strict interpretation of rules 2.1.13 the cards would attach. Though, to be Frank (sorry Frank), 2.1.14 suggests that if you attach SCIII *Cassandra* to SCIV *Cassandra* you won't gain any benefit.

Actually... There is a difference between SCIII and SCIV Characters... the dots are located under the character, therefore after. No dots before. They are different.

I'll add clarification in the AGR, rather than issuing card errata.

Then 2.1.14 needs to be revised before they release another version of any SCIV characters. Maybe something like:

While a player has another version (indicated by the number and location of the dots around the character’s name) of their character card in play, their character gains all the text the later played version(s) have in its text box, as well as any resource symbols that the later version(s) have that the original did not already have. The character retains all text and resource symbols on the original card as well.

Antigoth said:

aslum said:

Antigoth said:

Actually... There is a difference between SCIII and SCIV Characters... the dots are located under the character, therefore after. No dots before. They are different.

I'll add clarification in the AGR, rather than issuing card errata.

So what will happen to a character with a different name that gets added face down by {tekken forces/Ninja cannon: fury} then flipped up by quest of souls/no chance?

kiit said:

So what will happen to a character with a different name that gets added face down by {tekken forces/Ninja cannon: fury} then flipped up by quest of souls/no chance?

It will be discarded from play, and placed in the discard pile.