Official FFG Email Clarifications <Paste Here>

By WGNF911, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

If you've received one of these unicorns, please paste them here. This is a one-stop-shop for general reference, i.e. a repository. This isn't a thread for discussion so please start another thread for that. Thanks Armada community.

Edited by WGNF911

Here are the ones I have been collecting so far....not from me but from the forums.

Some contradiction from earlier responses (top) to later responses (bottom)

Rules Question:
Hello, I asked this question about a week ago, apologies if you're still looking into the answer, but thought I'd ask again in case it got lost in the internet void. When playing Star Wars Armada under tournament rules the following additional rules applies. "A player cannot use multiple rulers or maneuver tools to measure additional range, distance, or movement beyond the length of a single tool or to triangulate measurements."

My questions are:

1) Can a play use a range ruler and the maneuver tool at the same time?

2) If a player wanted to move their squadron to engage an enemy squadron, but also wanted to be in a position that it wasn't engaged with another close by enemy squadron, are they allowed to measure from the enemy squadrons to work out the position they want to be in and mark that spot on the play surface either with their finger or a token of some kind so that they can move the squadron to that exact spot? All of this is done using one range ruler.

3) In a similar situation is a player allowed to move his squadron to engage an enemy squadron, measure to make sure his is/isn't engaged and adjust the final position of the squadron to make sure it is engaged/not engaged with the enemy squadrons the players wants. (Providing the squadron doesn't move beyond it's movement range of course)

Thanks very much.

We’re adding clarifications into the next version of the Tournament Rules that address these issues. Essentially:

1. A player cannot use more than one tool at the same time, so he can’t use the ruler and maneuver tool together.
  2. Yes, as long as they don’t use more tools than the ruler followed by a fingertip, token, or an equivalent, they can premeasure in that way.
  3. If you clearly communicate your intent to your opponent and can quickly get your squadron in its intended position, this is reasonable. Your opponent is free to call the judge/TO over if the process seems to be taking too long (slow play) or if it seems like your intended position wasn’t clear.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Rules Question:
I have a rules question about Star Wars: Armada. When using both the concentrate fire dial and concentrate fire token, does the token need to be spent before adding the extra die? In other words, can I spend the dial and hold back the token, see the result of the additional die, then choose to spend the token to reroll a die? Thanks!

Since each command can only be resolved once per round, if you ultimately want to spent both the CF dial and token, you must do so at the same time. If you spent the dial, resolved it, and then spend the token, you’d be resolving the CF command twice, which isn’t allowed.

It’s worth noting that you are allowed to not reroll even though you spent the CF token, which means that you aren’t forced to reroll a good result, especially if you just wanted to resolve a CF command for the purposes of resolving an upgrade card that required it.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Here's my original email:

I had a few questions regarding the one-tool rule. Specifically...

1)Can you measure with one tool, put down your finger at a specific point along that tool, remove the tool, and then measure from your finger using a new tool? This feels wrong to me, as your finger is effectively acting as a stand-in token or a lingering element of the last measurement tool, resulting in 2+ components being on the table even if one of those components is made of bones and meat and not cardboard.

2)Regarding squadrons in particular: it seems fairly common for players to announce their intention with squadrons and then move them up and then shuffle them around a little bit to get the desired effect (example: "I want to move this X-Wing to engage those two TIE Bombers but remain outside of engaging Soontir Fel"). I've done squadron movements like this myself. However, the only way to do this by the rules of Armada is to measure range from all relevant squadrons to check for engagement ranges, keep those marked somehow (using fingers and/or tokens) and then moving the squadron finally, which would require using the range ruler on a table with 1+ tokens/fingers/whatever already present on it. Does this break the one-tool rule?

3)Regarding laser line tools: given that a laser line tool is acting as a stand-in for a range ruler used specifically to measure arcs and from yellow dot to yellow dot, is it legal to use a ranger ruler AND a laser line device at the same time?

Basically 1 and 3 are questions about using non-component stand-ins that aren't explicitly banned from being used as replacements for components that are disallowed from being combined. If a token+ruler are not allowed but a finger+ruler are okay, then it seems the restriction is easy to subvert.

#2 is asking how exact one needs to be when moving squadrons and if intent when moving is respected or if players are expected to eyeball it using whatever measurements they can without breaking the one-tool rule and then abide by the placement of the squadron once it's done moving.

A nd here is the response:

1. Measuring in the fashion you describe is not allowed as this is effectively using two tools with one being removed after the other is placed.

2. A player can pre-measure using only one tool as you describe. In a formal- or premier-tier event, a squadron must remain in its final position after the controlling player has moved that squadron and placed it on the table. A player can ask for a judge’s ruling if he feels that pre-measurement is becoming abusive and causing a delay of game.

3. This situation is only allowed if the players do not have one tool that can achieve the line of sight or arc measurement. This seems unlikely, but if it occurs, the players should discuss the situation with the event’s judge or marshal, who may then rule that two tools are allowed in this specific cirumstance.

Thanks for your questions!

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

(email address removed so forum members don't spam his inbox)

Hello, Lyraeus.

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

Are firing arcs apart of a hull zone?

Firing arc lines are not part of a hull zone, as defined in the Rules Reference. Both the Hull Zones section on p.6 and Measuring Firing Arc and Range section on p.7 refer to a hull zone as the area on a ship token delineated by, and between, the firing arc lines.

Thanks for your question![/size]

Michael Gernes[/size]

Game Producer[/size]

[email protected]

Hello, Lyraeus,[/size]

Rules Question:

My question today has to deal with facedown damage cards. If my ship has a facedown damage card, can I look at the card to see which damage card it is?

Players cannot look at their facedown damage cards. This is true even if the player has already seen some of them on account of being dealt faceup and flipped facedown. We’ll add this question to the next version of the FAQ.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Hello, Lyraeus,[/size]

Rules Question:

Does the plastic portion of the base count for measuring range for attacks and other things that require Hull Zone? Hull Zones in the Rules Reference Guide reads "A Hull Zone is a section of a ship token delineated by the two firing arc lines that border it. It does not include any part of the plastic base." This question comes up because several people from GenCon have stated that they were told that the base counts for attacking.

The plastic base (excluding the shield dial frames) does block line-of-sight and is used when measuring for a non-attack measurement (such as for a card effect that requires another ship be at distance 1–3). Attack measurement is the special case because the specific hull zones matter; during attack measurement, you must measure to and from the ship tokens.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Hello, Bjørn,

In response to your questions:

Rules Question:

Interaction between Instigator and Heavy Could we please have a ruling regarding the interaction between Instigator and the Heavy keyword? In effect: would a squadron engaged with Instigator and a Heavy squadron be able to shoot at the ship? Or do the ghost squadrons invalidate Heavy and force the squadron to shoot at the Heavy squadron?

A squadron engaged with Instigator and a Heavy squadron can still attack the Instigator. The Heavy keyword makes the enemy squadron an optional target rather than a mandatory target, and Instigator’s ghost squadron cannot be attacked because they aren’t viable targets.

Rules Question:

Interaction between Engine Techs and Thrust Control Malfunction I request a clarification re. the way Engine Techs and Thrust Control Malfunction interact. Does Engine Tech effectively ignore the critical effect? Or is the yaw reduction always applied for the extra Engine Tech move? Or, more curiously, does the yaw penalty apply only then the speed DIAL is set to 1 and Engine Tech activated?

Engine Techs is impacted by Thrust Control Malfunction only if the ship’s current speed is 1. If the ship’s speed dial is set to “2," the extra maneuver from Engine Techs is not impacted.
Thanks for playing!
James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

This one is a funny one, because this ruling got overturned in a FAQ (so for a while I was wrong, until the FAQ came along)

So this one is NO LONGER TRUE. I've included it to show that e-mails cannot be trusted.

Hello, Bjørn,

Rules Question:

SW: Armada Re. interaction between Advanced Projector and XI7 Turbolaser. Most people seem to be of the impression that regardless of Advanced Projectors, the TOTAL damage that can be redirected is 1. And that the only real effect of Adv. Projectors is the ability to redirect to a nonadjacent zone. But there are also some people who insist that the wording implies that Adv. Projectors allow you to redirect 1 damage to each hull zone (i.e. max 3). Which interpretation is correct? Regards Bjørn

The ship with Advanced Projectors can suffer 1 damage on each hull zone that it redirected to. For example, if the defender’s front hull zone was attacked and the damage total is 5, it can suffer 1 damage on the left zone, 1 damage on the rear zone, 1 damage on the right zone, and the remaining 2 damage must go to the front zone.
Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Hello, Brent.

Hey, I had a question concerning the possible interaction between Nav Team, and Admiral Ozzel. So if my ship spends a Nav token and also has Nav teams I can either change my speed or yaw. If I'm running under Ozzel's banner, can I also increase my speed by an "additional" one, per Ozzel, or not because Nav Team is a replacement effect? (So with this setup could I change my speed, and increase my yaw by one with just a Nav token?) Thanks!

Yes, you can in fact use Nav command using the token, resolve the Nav Team effect to increase your yaw by 1, and also resolve Admiral Ozzel’s effect to change your speed by 1.

Thanks for your question!

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

I had another one too about the maneuver tool, and whether it can only be used in the Determine Course step. Which obviously is the case.

Rules Question:

Hello, This situation came up in a game last night: A ship with 1 remaining hull point is sitting on the repair station. It executes a maneuver that causes a collision with an enemy ship, forcing a 0-speed maneuver that leaves it on the station. The maneuvering ship takes a face down damage card, and removes a damage card thanks to the station. From our reading, the RRG is a bit unclear on the timing of these 2 events. Are they triggered simultaneously, thus allowing the player to choose order (the ship survives)? Or is the damage from collision DURING the maneuver, and station repair AFTER the maneuver (the ship is destroyed)? Thanks. Regards, Nema Ashjaee

These effects are not simultaneous. The station’s effect is resolved after a ship executes its maneuver. In your example, the ship suffers the final point of damage (and the card is dealt to it) during the ship’s Execute Maneuver step, and the ship is destroyed because it has damage cards equal to its hull value.
Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Hello Paul,

SW:A - If a ship currently has a "Damaged Controls" face up card, and lands on the station, does it suffer the additional damage regardless of the fact it hits the station, or does it have an opportunity to repair it before it takes effect?"

As both effects have the same timing you may decide the order to resolve them. So you can overlap the station and choose to discard the damage card in question before its effect goes off.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

I will also add, that if you have both a Ram and are landing on the station, the Ram resolves before the Station overlap. (One is while executing [ram] and the other is after executing [obstacle]) as per another Email, which I'm searching for.

Hello Paul,

SW:A - If a ship currently has a "Damaged Controls" face up card, and lands on the station, does it suffer the additional damage regardless of the fact it hits the station, or does it have an opportunity to repair it before it takes effect?"

As both effects have the same timing you may decide the order to resolve them. So you can overlap the station and choose to discard the damage card in question before its effect goes off.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

I will also add, that if you have both a Ram and are landing on the station, the Ram resolves before the Station overlap. (One is while executing [ram] and the other is after executing [obstacle]) as per another Email, which I'm searching for.

Good to know. I'll go edit my post.

BUMP

Thanks to all who have posted already.

Hello, Paul.

Rules Question:

Hello. Another quick question - During the "Spend Defense Tokens" Step, does the Defender have to nominate the Shield that will be Redirected to at that Point in time (Before Critical hits are resolved), or can he simply state he wishes to spend the token, and choose the adjacent shield during the "Take Damage" step? Thankyou.

When a defender spends a redirect token, that defender does not choose which other zone’s shields to suffer the damage on until the Resolve Damage step.
Thanks for your question! Didn’t mean to keep you waiting; I just misplaced your original emails.
Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Hello, Paul.

Rules Question:

Quick Question in regards to Timing and Rieekan. The FAQ and new tournament has stated that Ships governed under Rieekan's leadership are not counted as destroyed until the "End of the Status Phase". What timing in relation is there between the "End of the Status Phase" and "End of Round" for such things as Counting Fire Lanes Points? It was my understanding that the Round does not End (End of Round) until the Status Phase has been Completed, at which point you would measure, for example, who controls the objectives in Fire Lanes, WITHOUT the presence of any Destroyed Rieekan ships, as they would have been removed prior to that step in the Status Phase. Is that correct?

Your interpretation is correct. Rieekan’s effect allows a ship to remain in the play area until the end of the status phase, but it is removed before an objective card’s "end of round" effect is resolved.
Michael Gernes
Game Producer

TWO IN ONE DAY

Hello, Paul.

Rules Question:

A Ship is poised to move "off the board" in its turn. It is the last turn of the game. If a ship would be placed with part of its base off the board, but part of its base on the board overlapping another ship - which rule takes precedence - the fact the ship was going to be placed partially off the board, or the Overlapping rules (which would force the ship to perform a slower maneuver, and potentially now not be off the board at all?) Thank you for your time.

Players must resolve the maneuver of the moving ship (including any overlap) and then determine if it is outside the play area based on its final position. In the situation you describe, the ship temporarily reduces its speed until it can finish its maneuver without overlapping another ship. If no portion of the ship’s base is outside the play area at its final position, the ship remains in the game.

Phylon Q7 Tractor Beam vs. Admiral Konstatine in regards to damage card Thruster Fissure:

Q: "Hello! I have a question regarding the damage card "Thruster Fissure", specifically when the Speed of the affected ship is being targeted by other players upgrade cards. Thruster Fissure says that you take one damage when "you" change your speed. The Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams specifically says that you force your opponent to change their Speed, which would then result in a damage from Thruster Fissure. However, Admiral Konstatine does not force the opponent to change their speed, since the card says that "you" (ie. the owner of Kostantine) changes a opponents speed directly. Does the affected player still get a additional damage from Thruster Fissure, even though Admiral Konstatine is very specific about that fact that the owner of Kostantine changes the Speed directly. In other words, do Thruster Fissure always trigger on a "Speed dial - change", even though different upgrade cards are very specific about who is actually changing the speed?"

A: "Your interpretation of “you” is correct. The ship with Admiral Konstantine equipped chooses whether to increase or decrease the speed of the ship with Thruster Fissure, so that ship does not suffer 1 damage."
Engine Tech and damage card Thrust Control Malfunction interaction:
Q: "I have a question regarding the damage card "Thrust Control Malfunction" in combination with the upgrade card "Engine Tech". I interpreted it as the extra speed-1 movement from the "Engine Tech" card is affected by the damage card, regardless of what your speed dial is set at, since you are in fact doing a maneuver at speed 1. However, there are some that think that the extra movement from the "Engine Tech" card is only affected by the damage card IF you speed dial is set to 1 (since the damage card says "Current speed"). I'm looking forward to your reply!"
A: "Thrust Control Malfunction only affects maneuvers executed at the ship’s current speed. If the ship in question has its dial at speed 1, all maneuvers that it resolves at speed 1 are affected."

To the surprise of no one at all...

Hello, Ardaedhel.

Rules Question:
Hey guys, question on General Tagge and Devastator: Do recovered defense tokens still count as having been discarded for the purposes of card effects? The specific instance in question: if I discard one of Devastator's defense tokens on turn 2, then get it back with General Tagge on Turn 3, do I still get the Devastator blue die from having previously discarded the token, even though I've now recovered it?

A recovered defense token does not count as discarded for determining the number of dice added by Devastator’s effect. If that token is later discarded, it would then count for Devastator’s effect.

Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Rules Question:

Regarding the Grav Shift Reroute, when obstacles within distance 3 are moved, are the obstacles allowed to be rotated during the move as long as they stay within distance 2 of the original location? Also, I know that the card states that obstacles may not overlap, but if you have two obstacles that you want to swap locations could you do so since they obstacles would momentarily overlap? Is the intent of the card that each obstacle is moved individually where they may not end he move in an overlapping position or that they all move simultaneously and that the moves are valid so long as no overlaps occur when all obstacles have been moved?

When resolving the Grav Shift Reroute effect, the obstacle’s orientation can be rotated but no part of that obstacle can be beyond distance 2 of that obstacle’s starting location at its final position. Players can temporarily place a marker against the edge of the obstacle that is opposite from the obstacle’s direction of movement to help measure. No part of the object can extend beyond the distance 2 radius measured from the marker.

Obstacles moved using this effect can be be moved over other obstacles, tokens, or ships but cannot overlap them at the moved obstacle’s final position. So, your swapping positions example is legal as long as both obstacles remain within distance of their original position.

Your opponent must be able to follow all the obstacles’ moves and can ask to verify them.

Hello, Bjorn.

Jamming Field The RRG clearly states that all upgrade cards are optional to resolve. How does this apply to Jamming Field? The text of the card seems (rather heavily in fact) to imply it's on. There is no may or can or whatnot in the text, for example. Yet going by the RAW I could potentially flicker my Field on an off, as I chose. Which seems rather too good, for a 2 pt card. So, what's the verdict? Regards, Bjørn

Resolving an upgrade card effect is optional unless otherwise specified. Jamming Field should read:

While a squadron at distance 1–2 is attacking or defending against a squadron, the attack must be treated as obstructed.

Please also note that only the attack is treated as obstructed, so the attacker and defender remain engaged before and after the attack.

Michael Gernes
Game Producer
[email protected]

Hello, Paul.

When a ship with the "Fighter Coordination Team" upgrade moves squadrons with this upgrade, does the squadron's movement from this upgrade trigger cards and effects that have squadron movement triggers? The specific triggers that comes to mind are:

For reference, the "Fighter Coordination Team" card text is:

"After you execute a maneuver, you may select a number of unengaged friendly squadrons up to your squadron value at close-medium range. Those squadrons may move up to distance 1."

(1) When "Mauler Mithel TIE Fighter Squadron" is moved with "Fighter Coordination Team", does he do 1 damage to engaged squadrons?

For reference, Mauler's card text is: "After you move, each squadron engaged with you suffers 1 damage."

(2) When a squadron is moved with "Fighter Coordination Team" onto the Station obstacle, does it recover one hull point?

For reference, the Station text under "Obstacles" in the Rules Reference Guide (Pg 8) states: Station: The ship can discard one of its faceup or facedown damage cards. The squadron can recover one hull point.

Thank you, Paul

-----------

Yes, when a squadron moves due to the effect of Fighter Coordination Team that counts as a move for resolving effects such as Mauler Mithel or the station obstacle’s effect. Please note that Mauler Mithel (or another squadron) cannot move if already engaged, unless another effect allows that squadron to ignore engagement.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

unless another effect allows that squadron to ignore engagement.

... WAIT JUST A **** MINUTE...

Is--is he saying what I think he's saying...? Please God no...

unless another effect allows that squadron to ignore engagement.

... WAIT JUST A **** MINUTE...

Is--is he saying what I think he's saying...? Please God no...

We don't have any yet

But its certainly a future possibility.

Hello, Bjørn.

General Madine/Nav teams Does Madine's effect stack with the one from Nav teams? Can you get 2 extra yaw from one token if you have both? Or are the effects redundant? What is the verdict here? Regards, Bjørn

The second part of General Madine’s effect is the same as Nav Team’s effect and these two effects are not cumulative.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

[email protected]

Hello, Bjørn.

Flotilla size Is a flotilla a small-base ship, following all the rules for such ships, unless specified otherwise (i.e. overlapping other ships). Or some other class entirely. Relevant for Hyperspace Assault for example. What is the verdict here? Regards, Bjørn

You are correct; a flotilla is a small ship and follows the rules for small ships (with specified additional rules for overlapping). Rules or card effects that refer to a small ship can be resolved on a flotilla, such as the setup rule in Hyperspace Assault.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

[email protected]

Hello, Bjørn.

Intel Officer Specifies that you have to use this upgrade after rolling your attack pool. According to the RRG, after means immediately after. So IO must be used immediately after rolling, i.e. before the modify step? Regards, Bjørn

You are correct in your interpretation; Intel Officer is resolved immediately after the Roll Attack Dice step and before the Resolve Attack Effects step begins.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

[email protected]

Hello, Bjørn.

Grav Shift Reroute & Dangerous Territory When shifting an obstacle, does the token follow with it? Regards, Bjørn

Yes, if Grav Shift Reroute is used to move obstacles in a game played with Dangerous Territory the objective tokens remain with the obstacles they were placed on.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

[email protected]

Hello, Bjørn.

Madine When resolving a Navigate dial, Madine allows you to add 1 ADDITIONAL YAW VALUE by 1. Must this be a SEPARATE yaw value, or can it be the same? I.e. can you add 2 yaw to 1 value, or onl y 1 to 2 different values? Example: Assault Frigate, going speed 3. Can Madine add 2 clicks at the 1st joint? Regards, Bjørn

When a yaw value of “-“ increases by one, it becomes “I”. When a yaw value of “I” increases by one, it becomes “II”. So, when resolving a Nav command from the dial with General Madine, the additional yaw value that you adjust can be in the same box on the ship chart as a value you have already adjusted, or it can be a value in a different box.

Michael Gernes

Game Producer

[email protected]