Investigator movement

By Masaiko, in Mansions of Madness

I quickly went through the rules (and tried searching from the forums and bgg) but couldn't find a clear answer on how the investigator movement is handled with the app. The rules clearly say that the explore, search and interact actions and some component actions require using the app but I'm wondering how the app will follow on which map tiles / spaces the investigators are.

Obviously the app gets some of the information when an investigator performs an action in a specific tile/space but since it's possible to interrupt the movement action to perform another action, the space where the action was used with the app isn't always the space the investigator ends his/her movement.

I may have missed something but I really hope they've come up with better solution than forcing the players to input every investigator movement in the app as it's just bad UX design to have to perform things twice.

Anyways.. I'm so excited about this game I bought the 1st edition and Call of the Wild to have more content. :D

I quickly went through the rules (and tried searching from the forums and bgg) but couldn't find a clear answer on how the investigator movement is handled with the app.

It isn't.

I'm wondering how the app will follow on which map tiles / spaces the investigators are.

It won't.

Hope that helps. :D

Not much but enough.. I think. :D

So apparently the app doesn't need to know the location of the investigators for monster movement / attacks. I'll just have to read the rules thoroughly later today.

The app needs to know some things, but your exact location isn't one of these - it would be a bit too tedious to track it both on the board and in the app.
The app may, for example, tell you to "move the monster towards the investigator with the lowest agility" and then you inform the app whether the monster may attack or if no one is in range.

Edited by tsuma534

Not much but enough.. I think. :D

So apparently the app doesn't need to know the location of the investigators for monster movement / attacks. I'll just have to read the rules thoroughly later today.

Exactly, The app simply takes care of tiles and Mythos and spawning and effects. You keep track of the things investigators do (you move them through the mansion, you tell the app when you're done with your actions, you tell the app when you don't have any other moves with puzzles, and so on). Even if this allows some room for cheating, it also makes the interaction with the app a lot lighter (you can correct your mistakes, you are not forced to constantly enter data in the app, and so on). Going the other way it'd have resulted in a much fiddlier game

Going the other way it'd have resulted in a much fiddlier game

Definitely.

I don't see the possible room for cheating as a problem as it's very easy to cheat in many games but still most, if not all players, choose not to. As long as correcting mistakes is easy enough, the app seems to be handling its job quite well. Can't wait to get the game. :)

Hopefully they'll release a designer's kit (like Space Cowboys did with T.I.M.E Stories) and allow creating custom scenarios for the app.

As all players are on the same side, who would you cheat?

The game, of course!

A poor app that can't defend itself