Damage example???

By SirRoke, in Mansions of Madness

In the Learn to Play book, page 11, there's an example of Monster Activation that includes combat.

In the Combat window, it says "Suffer 2 Damage". Nowhere does it specify "facedown" or "faceup".

But on that page point 6. says "The effect generated by the app instructs Agatha to suffer two facedown Damage..."

Nowhere on the screenshot does it say that the damage is "facedown".

On page 12, under "Damage & Horror", it says "When an effect causes an investigator to suffer Damage or Horror, he draws the top card of the Damage or Horror deck, respectively. He claims the card faceup unless the effect specifies otherwise."

So I'm confused. Since the combat example with the Deep One on page 11 did not specify faceup or facedown, and the default is faceup, then WHY in the example is the damage card taken facedown???

Further, the example says "In addition, because she suffered one or more Damage, the effect causes her to become Restrained."

Why? Nothing on the screen says that. No rule I can find even mentions it.

The skill test in that example also seems in error.

The screen shows Strength+1. The Investigator has Strength 2. In the example, they roll 2 dice.

But the rules (p. 13) say "The test declaration might also indicate a modifier, such as “–1,” which causes the investigator to roll more or fewer dice for the skill test."

So shouldn't they have rolled 3 dice? Strength 2+1=3?

Edited by Roke

I'm gonna say they used the wrong picture in that example.

If you assume that in the correct picture it does specify Facedown , and that there is no modifier on the strength test, everything is fine.

Either that, or it's completely messed up. :lol:

Damage (and Horror) is always assigned faceup unless a specific event calls for it. From the rules reference, pag 7, section Damage & Horror:

All Damage and Horror are claimed faceup unless the effect causing the Damage or Horror specifies otherwise.