Story vs Crawler?

By pauljima, in Mansions of Madness

Very psyched for this game and pre-ordered... But does anyone have any insight with how this app-driven experience may play out? How does Descent stack up to the idea with preserving story? 1E would give you a hint, like "burning smell from the kitchen" which really was a clue and thematically immersive. If the maps are randomly generated, will we get clues that encourage us where to explore? Or is MoM2E gonna end up just a dungeon crawler (enter here, these monsters spawn... Defeat them, one drops a key which may open a door to come or one you've already tried to open before...)?

After all, MoM1E was hardly combat-centric. Often times, the best idea was to run rather than stick around until the monster dies...

The only way to find out is to wait for more articles/reveals/spoilers/actual game release.

Edited by John Constantine

This is something I've been concerned about as well. They can't very well direct us towards the kitchen if the kitchen hasn't appeared yet. But then it's entirely possible for it to have the kitchen appear, but still be grayed out/unexplored.

There's enough ways to do it that I'm not really worried. My biggest fear was that they would switch over to the Descent/Imperial Assault map tile system and the game would devolve into a simple combat crawler.

Since they didn't do that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

It's very much story driven from what my brief nose through the app has shown me.

One story sets me up in a hotel (I think, I rushed to avoid spoiling it, I don't even have the game yet) and a street is outside.

Time passes as you investigate.

At night you clear the table, and get to choose a new location to head to (new tiles etc)

Very much story driven imo.

No voice overs, so a lot of reading to be done. Not unexpected, but a shame none the less. I'd gladly pay for a fully voiced app!

I'm excited based on the bit of the app I looked at. It looks very narrative driven. To the point that I wonder how much the conversion kit will actually increase the replay value. I'm very excited to go through multiple times either way with different investigators. It sounds like mythos effects and other bits change based on what actions you have taken during the course of the game.

Also, there are unnamed "persons" to talk to that I imagine are randomly generated for each scenario, perhaps with different dialogue. I expect core encounters to remain the same though.

And seeing that if an investigator is eliminated the game ends and there is a unique epilogue, I expect some of the harder scenarios will have me playing multiple times just to actually win! I am so happy that they decided to make death/insanity game-ending. I can't wait for those encounters where a healthy Rita Young is supporting a grievously wounded Gloria Gouldberg as she hobbles down the streets of Innsmouth chased by a Goat Spawn. After all, Rita has to SAVE Gloria, or they both fail and the game ends.

It's going to make for some reaaaaaaally intense coop, imo.

AH! Can't WAIT.