New to the game and have some questions.

By phlip45, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hullo

I'm not starting a new thread but using this one. I've played RPG's and boardgames for a long time. Some of minis go back a long way.

http://web.mac.com/mcconnell_director/iWeb/mook%27s%20miniatures/Welcome.html

Got Descent at Christmas, I'm very impressed with it, started painting the minis (will post the results), played it twice so far one on one with another experienced player but Gaz has still to meet Narthak.

I have a few questions.

1] If a player places an "AIM" order at the start of his turn and then attacks (using the AIM order) the order is used.

Can that player then place a "GUARD" or "DODGE" order on his order free hero? Or is it one order per turn ?

2] Stupid question. On the green dice I can see symbol for "RELOAD" when the green dice is used in "Doom - The Boardgame". I know you never run out of ammo in Descent, so what does the symbol signify, or should I ignore it?

3] As OL I've just spawned a group of Beastmen, when I "activate monsters" I can move and attack with the monsters I've just spawned. They don't have to wait until my next turn before they can activate?

4] I've just dealt damage with "BREATH", for six points of damage. the hero has an armour rating of 4, therefore I do only two damage to his health. The armour isn't affected at all? No damage to it ?

5] At which points do monsters gain the ability to open doors ? Area 3 in the first mission has two doors to it, if a hero opens one of those doors can the monsters then use both doors to exit area 3, in effect, come up behind a hero ?

6] Is there any rule as to which monsters can open and close doors ? The Razorwings and the Naga would seem to have problems turning handles ?

Sorry if these as really obvious but as I said, two attempts and Gary still hasn't met Narthak !

1 - Nope. Placing orders can only be done with a ready action. While you can play an Aim order and use it on the same hero turn, he doesn't get another order to replace it. Think of placing the order as half that hero's turn. If he could place another order he would have gotten 3 half actions. That's just not possible except with certain skills, and even those skills don't let you place 2 orders.

2 - Reload? You should not see that on a Descent die.

3 - Yes. That is why the OL is limited to one spawn card a turn and it has to be played before activating any monsters.

4 - Nope. Items do not have a durability rating.

5 - The only limits to a monster opening a door is they can't open doors to unrevealed areas, and un-named monsters can't open rune doors. In your example no, he could not flank them that way unless the connecting area was also revealed. Keep in mind it still costs movement for monsters to open doors just like heroes.

6 - See previous answer.

Remember just as many rules in Descent are for game play instead of theme. Also, many of them do not make any logical sense. You just have to roll with it.

EDIT: Jesus, the formatting tools on this forum suck. Stupid broken quotes.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Appreciated.

mooks said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Appreciated.

NP I was up early. ^_^

I'm not sure what the Doom reload symbol is, but the symbols that should be on Descent dice are:

heart symbol = damage
lightning bolt = surge
number = range
X = miss

I'd recommend that you post questions in your own thread rather than someone else's thread, it helps keeps discussions separate and makes it less likely your questions will be overlooked.

If the heroes aren't making it through the first quest, I'd suggest making sure you play with 3-4 heroes (not 2) regardless of number of players; the game can be very hard with only 2 heroes.

There is no "RELOAD" symbol in Doom, but there is "Use Ammo" which is a little bullet icon:

Doom Dice

The little bullet icon in the bottom corner means that the marine needs to spend an ammo token while making the shot.

So, I'm not sure what is being confused on the Green die for the bullet icon. Maybe the Surge symbol?

-shnar