Is it REALLY a money grab though?

By Crabbok, in Star Wars: Destiny

This game looks to have the cheapest entry cost I've ever seen from an FFG Star Wars game. I mean you can be playing for less than 20 bucks, or if you DO drop a 20 you can also get a booster or more (if they are on sale).

Looking at their last few SW games, Rebellion cost me about 80 bucks. Imperial Assault was about 100 bucks.

Armada's core set debuted at 100 bucks, X-Wing was originally only like 39, but with both of those you needed to buy alot more to even be able to play a standard game. Typically you are looking at about a 120 - 200 MSRP minimum to be able to play many of these game.

Here if you spend 100 bucks you are probably getting your starter plus a whole Box of boosters, (or gravity feed, or whatever it is they distribute them in). You'll be rolling in the rares. You are almost certainly going to spend WAY less on this than you would on something else. The only way you'll end up spending way more, is if they have new waves out every 2-3 months or something crazy like that.... or if the rarity for the good stuff is crazy low - like only 1 rare out of every 100 boosters.

Also Drafts are some of the most fun I've had with card games and collectables allow for that readily.

drafting is pretty cool I'll grant you that. Some standalone games use that as a mechanic too and it rocks. Ever play 7 Wonders? it's amazing.

If this was any company beside FFG then this wouldn't be an issue.

The thing is FFG invented the "living" CG as a way to distanciate and rid themselves of the bad aspects of collectable/trading games. And most people tought this was always gonna be the case. They (I think) see FFG as a sort of champion against the "moneygrabbing " CCG corporations.

And now they have (gone back) over to the collectable game concept.

I actually don't think the money is the issue, it's just that one word that haunts them: "collectable."

And people are worried. "Could my fave LCG become a CCG next?" people wonder.

If you look at the forum they have one new tab: collectable games. And the only game inside is SW destiny... For now.

Edited by Robin Graves

I agree. Doesn't seem like a money-grab to me. A starter or two, a handful of boosters, and maybe a couple of favorites purchased/traded for on the secondary market should give anyone a competitive deck for a good price. It may be a bit tougher for completists, but if it was non-collectible it would still be pretty pricey to buy everything.

Yes.

This episode of short answers to long questions was brought to you by Overused Forum Tropes.

If this was any company beside FFG then this wouldn't be an issue.

The thing is FFG invented the "living" CG as a way to distanciate and rid themselves of the bad aspects of collectable/trading games. And most people tought this was always gonna be the case. They (I think) see FFG as a sort of champion against the "moneygrabbing " CCG corporations.

And now they have (gone back) over to the collectable game concept.

I actually don't think the money is the issue, it's just that one word that haunts them: "collectable."

And people are worried. "Could my fave LCG become a CCG next?" people wonder.

If you look at the forum they have one new tab: collectable games. And the only game inside is SW destiny... For now.

Please. The LCG format was created as a way to avoid the next CCG crash. And if you looked at the full history of the LCG, you would see that they didn't initially get rid of rarity.

Is it a money grab? Hell yes it is. But, FFG is a company that wants to make money, so all of their products are money grabs.

And just because a product isn't aimed at you, doesn't mean it is a bad idea.

This game looks to have the cheapest entry cost I've ever seen from an FFG Star Wars game.

That's how a CCG works. You bait players in with a low entry cost but you underpower the entry deck. You then get drawn into boosters, either by the gambling element, to gain an advantage or to keep up with the advantage of others buying boosters. Soon enough you're invested.

Unless you've done Magic and know what you're getting be very, very careful. The CCG model is so successful because it taps into the same part of the human psychology that creates gambling addictions.

Edited by Blue Five

This game looks to have the cheapest entry cost I've ever seen from an FFG Star Wars game.

That's how a CCG works. You bait players in with a low entry cost but you underpower the entry deck. You then get drawn into boosters, either by the gambling element, to gain an advantage or to keep up with the advantage of others buying boosters. Soon enough you're invested.

Unless you've done Magic and know what you're getting be very, very careful. The CCG model is so successful because it taps into the same part of the human psychology that creates gambling addictions.

Same LCGs if you start thinking about it: Gotta get your regular dose, gotta keep buying the expansions if you want stay on top of the game... (ofcourse with an lcg you don't have to buy multiple expansion packs looking for the rares)

Same LCGs if you start thinking about it: Gotta get your regular dose, gotta keep buying the expansions if you want stay on top of the game... (ofcourse with an lcg you don't have to buy multiple expansion packs looking for the rares)

An LCG operates as a subscription rather than as a gambling addiction. Netrunner's £10 monthly for a full playset of 3 of 20 unique cards IIRC. 60 cards, buy it once and you have all the new stuff. Completely fair metagame, easy to financially plan for.

CCG, how many boosters would you have to buy to be up to date with the metagame?

Edited by Blue Five

Yeah, I don't think this signals a change in philosophy with their LCGs. It's a completely different animal.

That's not to say they'll never do a CCG -- they could decide to take L5R that route, for instance -- but I doubt they're going to turn around tomorrow and say, "Okay LCG peeps, time to start chasing boosters!"

Edited by DailyRich

It's cheap because you don't get much. There are no minis in the box. The box itself looks about pocket-sized. It has some cards, some dice, and an instruction book. There might be some tokens? It's also cheap because it's a loss-leader to get you to buy the boosters which is where the profit really is.

I hope so because:

1. The lincese to this game isn't cheap and I'm sure it went up when it got renewed (if it got renewed since 2012)

2. The FFG Star Wars games aren't as main stream as perhaps it should be given the IP and this game can put a FFG Star Wars game into the main stream.

3. Making this game like a CCG put it in places where the LCG can not get and in turn will draw others to FFG other Star Wars games.

4. I love FFG and I want to see them grow and this (if done right) can give them to the point where they are more known.

Being a "Money Grab" isn't always a bad thing isn't try to look at the positives.

yeah you aren't getting much, but you aren't paying much either. See we could keep going back and forth like this! ha ha!

But my whole point is that it's not just a mad cash grab, rather than it's a new type of game, expanding. Maybe appeal to a younger audience.

Personally I'm looking forward to it because it's a new game for me to do stuff with on my channel. Already planning to buy a whole booster box and open them all up in a big video.

Edited by Crabbok

CCG, how many boosters would you have to buy to be up to date with the metagame?

Zero If you're playing in small 2-3 playgroup. You could just buy single card/dice because i'm pretty sure there will appear some shops online.

If you'll be part of huge playgroup then group purchases work excellent. I mean one box per 3-4 players and then infernal draft for stuff they looking for. It worked perfect for us in many, many collectible games. And it's much, much cheaper than mindless personal box buying.

Edited by kempy

The packaging and price point look to be identical to Dice Masters.

I've played the SWLCG, Imperial Assault, and X-Wing. Love the model they have in those games. But I'm completely and totally excited for this one too. Maybe it has something to do with my middle school Pokemon love a long time ago, but there are so many interesting things that happen with a CCG. Someone already mentioned the possibility of a draft... That's something I've missed in the current LCG model. Can't wait to sit around a table and put together some weird decks!

The packaging and price point look to be identical to Dice Masters.

similar, but not identical: DM is 2 dice for one dollar (3 timescheaper than destiny) also destiny uses dice, cards that tell you what the dice do and cards, while DM is soley dice and the cards that tell you what the dice do.

Its a collectible dice game with cards, a concept made popular by Dicemasters which has quite literally exploded and it seems FFG is just flexing their Star Wars muscle to show that not only can they also do it, but (in all likely-hood) will do it better. If there was ever a thing FFG does well its compete in the market and quite frankly they are dominating every corner of it and they seem to feel confident they can do the same in this dice/card category.

Its a game designed by Lukas Litzsinger of Netrunner and Lord of the Rings (card game) fame, a designer who poops pure gold.

Just tell me where to mail my credit card!

Zero If you're playing in small 2-3 playgroup. You could just buy single card/dice because i'm pretty sure there will appear some shops online.

If you'll be part of huge playgroup then group purchases work excellent. I mean one box per 3-4 players and then infernal draft for stuff they looking for. It worked perfect for us in many, many collectible games. And it's much, much cheaper than mindless personal box buying.

And if you're not part of a huge group, any kind of popular, sucessful CCG produces a secondary market, which is a vastly cheaper way to piece together your playset than buying boosters.

Everyone focuses on "OH GOD THAT ONE POWER RARE IS $30!" while glossing over the fact that that Power Rare being $30 reduced the cost of acquiring a ton of other stuff to pennies. It balances out if you're a completionist. It's a bit more expensive if you're a hard-core tournament player, but if you're a hardcore tournament player in a CCG... you win prizes that actually have worth and use/tradability, instead of a playmat, or promo that might sell for more than the tournament's entry cost 2 years from now.

The internet providing centralized card sales hubs has drastically increased the competition amongst singles providers, which drives down costs. The main people getting screwed by CCGs these days are terrible players that think they're pro, and spend money accordingly, but never get any better at the game because they're convinced they have nothing to learn. Which, to be fair, is a large % of the grinder populace :D

Edited by IsawaChuckles

A $15 lcg pack has 60 cards.

$15 worth of boosters had 25 cards and 5 dice.

So yeah, this is the most expensive yet, even if the entry cost is cheap. Reminds me of Epic LCG from WWG. Cheap entry, horribly expensive continuation. As oppossed to the normal expensive entry cheap continuation of LCGs.

A $15 lcg pack has 60 cards.

$15 worth of boosters had 25 cards and 5 dice.

So yeah, this is the most expensive yet, even if the entry cost is cheap. Reminds me of Epic LCG from WWG. Cheap entry, horribly expensive continuation. As oppossed to the normal expensive entry cheap continuation of LCGs.

It leads to simple math that 7 cards = 1 dice.

LOL

So what's the problem?

Edited by kempy

Every collectible game is a money grab. It is part of the definition.

They try to sell you something you might already own and don't need anymore.

And they do that by offering you a chance to get something you want. A small chance.

I am honestly surprised for how long Magic has been able to pull it of. But then i was part of the problem. Glad i no longer am.

Edited by Reaver027

Every collectible game is a money grab. It is part of the definition.

They try to sell you something you might already own and don't need anymore.

And they do that by offering you a chance to get something you want. A small chance.

I am honestly surprised for how long Magic has been able to pull it of. But then i was part of the problem. Glad i no longer am.

Honestly, I think Magic made it work by shifting focus to drafting. Booster packs these days are no longer designed to give you cards for constructed (though they certainly would be happy if you treated them that way). Instead, boosters are designed to give the best possible limited experience possible (limited format meaning draft play or sealed play). I've never actually played Magic (other than some of their software), but I've investigated it a lot. It seems like the vast majority of play-testing is aimed at making these sealed formats healthy. To that end, I don't think Magic is quite the money-grab it used to be. Everyone says that if you're playing constructed, you're better off buying the singles you need from the second-hand market.