Do you Prime fighters

By Payens81, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

The question is simple do you use primer when you are painting your squadrons? I have painted a few squadrons now and a couple I used primer and a couple I did not.... the quality came out basically the same from what I can tell since they are so small. Was important to get a good base coat and wash on them I found that was the more important.

But I am wondering about longevity.. that the ones without the primer will chip etc... but then I am also thinking that they are so small that with the good base coat that will probably not happen.

What paint are you using for the base coat? Some has high enough pigment that it doesnt matter.

In general I'd say 'it's a good idea' giving the model a light dusting after you've properly washed and dried the squadrons in warm soapy water. It gets rid of the oils that can sometimes make pants splotchy or less adherent than they should. Primer helps with the same thing, it gives the paint something to stick too. You tend to see the differences with certain paint consistency where non primered models will make some acrylics bead up rather than spread out. But some high pigment paints will still give a good enough coverage for you to work.

But with non primered models you also tend to have to be more careful in handling them while you paint. Finger smudges can rub paint off the raised portions more readily than a primered model. But if you can manage that without damage, and you give it one or preferably two coats of varnish, then really it's probably not going to make a significant difference long term. Squadrons get handled a lot, they do tend to chip... but there are certain paints which are simply monstrous and wear extremely well. I have a weird vallejo red that once it's put down, it just doesn't come off. It'll stain the plastic and even with simple green, alcohol, etc, this stuff just decides it likes the model and won't dissolve.

So it all depends on what type of paint, brand, even batch that you use.

I am using Cidital paints

for the empire fighters I am using Mechanicus Standard Grey

for rebel Celestra Grey

I think they're both base colours, which means they're high pigment and a little better wearing than normal. That should be safer than most paints and you could probably get away with using them straight. A varnish is still a decent idea if you're worried about chipping as you still might see some wear on raised spots in time (cannons, tops of solar panels, etc).

yes they are both base paints thank you for the tips guys.

I painted my squadrons Calistra grey for Imperials and Deneb Stone for Rebels. Neither needed an undercoat, you just have to be careful to get the paint into all the recesses.

I did some of my TIE Interceptors in the ROTJ blue-grey colour and selected Russ Grey or was it Fenrisian Grey which are not citadel base paints. These didn't get an undercoat either but did need to have 2 coats of the initial colour.

Edited by Mad Cat

I just base coat them their prime color.

Yes, I prime them black, like my soul.

Wait... Did I say that out loud?

I prime everything, and usually wait overnight to apply the first coats of paint by brush.