Our first game

By DavidAnnable, in Chaos in the Old World

We played through our first game of "Chaos in the Old World" last night and I was pleased to discover that all of the rave reviews were not unwarranted. This game is spectacular, and came down to one heck of a close game with me winning as Khorne through dial advancement.

Check out the time-lapse

Gee, what a surprise: Khorne wins over new players.

Heheh, that's how it goes.

It turns out we played wrong and Khorne didn't win that first game. Nurgle did.

We played our 2nd game last night an Tzeench won via victory points with Nurgle in a close 2nd. The Khorne player was a weak player and didn't quite grasp the basics of the aggressive strategy. The Tzeench player was helped by a very large number of warpstone drops early in the game. We were also at 4 out of 5 areas ruined and I believe the game ended with 2 old world cards un-played (it may have been 1... I can't remember exactly). Another great game all told, and even though Khorne and Slaanesh weren't as close to victory as they were in the first game, they were still close to each other at least.

After two plays, I can really start to get a grasp for some of the deeper nuances to the game. It wasn't that difficult to keep Khorne from ticking his threat wheel, and after a few ruinations, it was very difficult for both Nurgle and Slaanesh to tick too. Given the right luck and distribution of hero and noble tokens, I can see the Slaanesh player being a real contender but when luck turns against him, it seems very difficult for him to keep up in the victory point department. I also noticed that Tzeench has more cultists than anyone else and that player needs to take advantage of that fact. Again, if there is some luck with warpstone deployment it is easier for him to gain victory.

I think Khorne actually has one of the toughest roads to victory. It's hard for him to get in on any ruination points as he is short a cultist, not to mention the fact that people tend to flee from him instead of sticking around and ruining a territory. Even though our Khorne player ticked twice more often than anyone else, he still didn't end up close enough to victory to be considered a threat at the end.

I have another time lapse video of the game that I will post sometime soon.

The time-lapse video is a good idea, but can we see the game board this time? :)

Khorne usually seems to be the champion against newbs around here...

Strange...for us it totally was Slaanesh. He won the first two games, if I remember correctly. Khorne was not even near the victory in the first 4 to 5 games.

I heard about this game on the D6 Generation. Still want to buy it and try it out. Seems the reviews are awesome.

In our first game (last night) Nurgle got over 20 VP ahead of the pack on turn 5. On turn 6 we all tried to stop him from ruining the two zones where he had a great presence and we did stop him ... but he managed to score some 10 points from other stuff and beat us anyway. If he was just a few points short I (as Khorne) would have gotten a dial victory on the next (last) turn. The game was pretty fun and even though we messed up a few rules here and there (causing Tzeentch to get a few points less than he deserved) the whole thing was great, very balanced with a lot of interaction between all the players. Great stuff!!

Earin Shaad said:

Strange...for us it totally was Slaanesh. He won the first two games, if I remember correctly. Khorne was not even near the victory in the first 4 to 5 games.

Were you playing with the updated rules for slaanesh? that can make a huge impact for new players and an easy win for them.

Slaanesh won the first two games I played as well (with correct sheet). After that, he hasn't even been in the running, since everyone knows to pick on him early, the longer you deny him the Seductress Upgrade, the better for the rest. Nurgle and Tzeentch generally battle over the win, Slaanesh and Khorne try to avoid last place.

Baenre said:

Were you playing with the updated rules for slaanesh? that can make a huge impact for new players and an easy win for them.