getting UFS started up in my area

By LunaSlave, in Universal Fighting System

A while back, I'm guessing about a year ago, I bought up my local gaming shop's inventory of UFS on the cheap. It consisted basically of boxes of stuff from the first few sets only...I have read over the rules, but am still a little foggy on them as I've yet to play a game, a situation I'd very much like to rectify.

I bought this stuff up because a) I had heard from numerous people (none of whom i'm in touch with really) that it was quite a good game, and that, being a SF/KOF nut i'd enjoy it a lot 'cause it captured a lot of the best elements of fighting games well.

What I'd ideally like to do is get a firm grasp on the rules, but also make up a series of fun, playable, diverse demo decks (probably with fewer cards in them than the usual 60, I was thinking, more just for teaching purposes than anything, and to allow me to build more decks) that represented a wide variety of characters...but I realy don't know where to begin. I know how to get games off the ground quite well (I'm the founder of our local go club, and I also organize play for Vampire: The Eternal Struggle CCG here in town...)

I'd like to apply this to UFS...but I'm gonna need help! Any assistance that people can offer, in helping me to build decks, assist me with the rules (which, based upon the rules sheets i have, don't seem like something i can fully grasp without actually playing) and more. :)

thanks so much!

I believe you can still get demo decks from FFG if you contact them. Otherwise, try making decks consist of 40 cards or less. I would also, for the sake of demo'ing and teaching, NOT include any blue or green cards. Keep it as simple as possible with Foundations and Attacks.

Where are you located? If you're out here on the West Coast, then i might be able to direct you to a couple playgroups that already exist. Others can do the same for you, too, if you're not.

Good luck getting things going!!

demo decks? wow really? hrm...actually i have zero idea how to build good demo decks for the game myself so that might be helpful. if i did up a comprehensive list of the cards i own, i wonder if someone could help me come up with a few demo decks to demonstrate the game adequately? :)

actually, I'm in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. There was a very short lived playgroup around here that has long since died off...unless of course there's an existing one that I'm not currently aware of!

Essentially when building demo decks you want to stay away from the overtly complicated cards. (there are some) And stay away from assets and action cards. The deck should contain about 25 foundations and roughly 15 attacks, and the 4x rule should definently be used. Also stay away from card with Unique and Multiple at first, then as the game progresses use them.

One approach I like is the Vs. System Manual approach and that's basically ignore all text on the cards except for name, resources, and the important numbers. Then intro Enhances. then Forms. Then Responses. (Explain there is no chain rule. It's a Tree Branch Rule. )

Hmm... Yeah I might want to build some sample decks like that... might also want to use some older characters...

I think there is a sit that you can find out where UFS is sold although I can't recall what it was. It would help in finding some players and maybe a place to play.