Alternate Ending Boss Fights

By Verdict, in Talisman

Just a couple of questions about encountering the Eagle King Alternate Ending (or any alternate ending that is a fight) :

When I choose to attack using either Strength or Craft, is that for a single life, or must I use the same stat for all four fights? Can I choose either Strength or Craft for each attack roll or do I choose once at the start?

Do I encounter him multiple times or once when I land on him? Each time I defeat him, do I encounter him again? Each time I defeat him, is the next attack roll considered a separate battle/psychic combat?

Is the Eagle King Encounter (assuming you only encounter him once) a single battle that spans four attacks or is it four separate battles?

Lets say I have the Wand of Dragonfire. I choose to Battle on Strength. Before combat, I use the Wand and fail. Then I fight the battle and win, causing me to attack him again. Can I use the Wand of Dragonfire on the next attack assuming I choose Strength to battle him again? Is it considered a new and separate battle?

What if I am successful on my roll with the Wand of Dragonfire, does the Eagle King die? Does he lose all four lives? Is he considered "killed"?

What is the difference between "Defeated" and "Killed" ? Can the alternate ending bosses be "killed" like any other creature or is "killed" only used for a single battle and thus 1 life?

Are Alternate Endings really "Creatures" if they are considered "Defeated" instead of "Killed" at the resolution of a battle?

When I choose to attack using either Strength or Craft, is that for a single life, or must I use the same stat for all four fights? Can I choose either Strength or Craft for each attack roll or do I choose once at the start?

I am unaware of a rule that explicitly states one way or the other in this regard. It seems to me that the spirit of the alternate endings is that you pick one and stick with it. (That's how it is in the Digital Edition, despite people on this forum asking that we stop referencing the Digital Edition.) The wording on the card appears to lean in this direction also, where it states, " A character on the Crown of Command must choose whether to attack the Eagle King using Strength or Craft. Each time he defeats the Eagle King, he must remove one of the Eagle King's lives and immediately attack him again. " So the order is to pick a method of attack and then attack and keep attacking. It doesn't indicate that you start the process over again after each completed combat.

Do I encounter him multiple times or once when I land on him? Each time I defeat him, do I encounter him again?

Technically speaking, you only encounter him once per turn. However, in that single encounter you have the ability to fight him multiple times. When you defeat him, you " immediately attack him again ."

Each time I defeat him, is the next attack roll considered a separate battle/psychic combat?

Yes.

Is the Eagle King Encounter (assuming you only encounter him once) a single battle that spans four attacks or is it four separate battles?

Yes, you encounter him only once (see above), but it is four separate battles/psychic combats. They all just happen within a single encounter.

Lets say I have the Wand of Dragonfire. I choose to Battle on Strength. Before combat, I use the Wand and fail. Then I fight the battle and win, causing me to attack him again. Can I use the Wand of Dragonfire on the next attack assuming I choose Strength to battle him again? Is it considered a new and separate battle?

Yes, each one is considered a new and separate battle. Yes, you may use the Wand of Dragonfire with each new battle. (Again, no, with each new attack you do not choose between Strength or Craft. You pick that once. So if you have the Wand of Dragonfire but you pick Craft, you may not switch in the middle.)

What if I am successful on my roll with the Wand of Dragonfire, does the Eagle King die? Does he lose all four lives? Is he considered "killed"?

The Wand of Dragonfire only removes one life at a time. At a minimum you would have to attack the Eagle King Twice to kill him. Both battles would require a successful roll with the Wand of Dragonfire along with a successful attack roll. Each combination of a successful roll with the Wand of Dragonfire and a successful attack roll would remove two lives.

What is the difference between "Defeated" and "Killed" ? Can the alternate ending bosses be "killed" like any other creature or is "killed" only used for a single battle and thus 1 life?

"Defeated" is when a character or creature loses an attack roll. "Killed" is when a character or creature loses its last life. Most creatures only have one life, so a defeat also kills them. Alternate ending bosses are killed once their final lives are removed.

Are Alternate Endings really "Creatures" if they are considered "Defeated" instead of "Killed" at the resolution of a battle?

Yes, Alternate Ending bosses are creatures. Again, they are "Defeated" at the conclusion of every attack. They are "Killed" when their final lives are removed.

Thank you for replying!

I hope more members of the community chime in. Further feedback and discussion would be great just to hear if others agree/disagree with your rulings!