Voluntarily failing a Test?

By TheWorldSmith, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Characteristic, Skill, etc... Is it possible to voluntarily fail a Test? Or must the Test be carried out no matter what?

Characteristic, Skill, etc... Is it possible to voluntarily fail a Test? Or must the Test be carried out no matter what?

I'd imagine so. I highly doubt you need to take a test to fail a test deliberately. If that's the case I need to go make a BS20 character and have them continually test to miss their target :P

For a more serious answer, it doesn't seem like it'd be very hard for your character to deliberately screw up. Now, you MIGHT want to take a test to see if they can screw up in a convincing way (ie. Not make it blatantly obvious that they're deliberately failing it), but nothing against deliberate fails.

Edited by ColArana

For a more serious answer, it doesn't seem like it'd be very hard for your character to deliberately screw up. Now, you MIGHT want to take a test to see if they can screw up in a convincing way (ie. Not make it blatantly obvious that they're deliberately failing it), but nothing against deliberate fails.

That would be my interpretation as well. You take a Test to see if an Action succeeds. If you don't care about success, just do the Action without a Test, similar to how you don't need to roll about walking down a road, unless there is a challenge involved. To deliberately fail a BS Test, for example, you could say you draw your weapon and pull the trigger.

If you actually want to convince someone you gave it your best, though, challenge is re-introduced, thus a Test may be warranted.

The type of this Test would depend on the exact nature of the Action; for example, you might have to roll a BS Test to hit something close to a target you actually want to avoid injuring (and if you roll 95-100, the GM might rule you actually hit them anyways as you aimed too close :P ).

On the other hand, you could try bullsh****ng witnesses by rolling for Deceive vs their Awareness, because instead of shooting somewhere close to your target, what you actually do is just ducking a lot, waving your gun around, and taking aim .. but never actually discharging your weapon, hoping instead that in the chaos of combat and amidst all the other shots, nobody will notice.

You might even decide to not roll for that, either, but in that case I'd still let any witnesses roll for Awareness just to check if somebody notices you just standing around, doing nothing. ;)

As always though, it depends on the individual GM.

Edited by Lynata