Dark Heresy-themed background music

By Covered in Weasels, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello all,

I'm looking to add some background music to my Dark Heresy sessions. Are there any tracks you find work particularly well for the theme of the game? Music for battles, social interactions, research, grand revelations and more are all welcome. If I fibs any myself I'll post them here as well.

Hi Weasels,

the last time I actually ran a game as GM (a loooong time ago by now) I used the soundtracks from the video game "Binding of Isaac". This I purchased at STEAM with the DLC and later copied the music for my personal use. Some of it is moody, broody and matches 40k in the overall feel, and good tracks for a fight are included, too.

Otherwise I made use of some OST I own. The music of the movie "Avalon" worked fine, as well as "Assault Girls" worked , too. The later is rather epic, so one has to be careful and in both case one needs to tune down the volume for non-instrumental tracks. But as they don´t sing English, nobody should try to listen to the words (and get distracted). :)

The soundtrack from Dredd had very usable parts, too, so some are very short. The tracks from "Outlander" might work as well, but I don´t own the OST so I was never able to listen to them "without the movie".

Other than that, listen to some of the tracks on sale via Drivethrurpg.com from the following "publishers":

Fiswife Games (some bad, some good, but ALL affordable :) )
Plate Mail Games
Black Goat Games (some very droning and foreboding tracks..and affordable)
Bailey Records

Generally, Harvesting computer games you own is handy, and buying old computer games from STEAM is a good source.

"I have no mouth but I must scream" has a nice set of tracks, but it takes a lot of time to look through them

Great introductory music for a large, supernatural enemy force (like daemons or the risen dead) is "Hall of Saurian Entombment" by Nile. Easily one of my players' favorites. For an uncomfortable social or exotic diplomatic setting where things don't feel quite right, "Suspended in Light" by Neurosis lends a weird, shivery kind of atmosphere. And if your game includes any epic battles against overwhelming odds or rousing action scenes - especially on Feral, Feudal, or Death Worlds - it's hard to beat the original (1982) Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. I'm sure I have more, but those are what popped in my head sitting here at work.

Happy gaming!

It's not necessarily music, but I found the stuff by Tabletop Audio to be fantastic. (Especially if you layered several tracks from the same genre over the top of each other.)

Youtube "chaos gate music or ost or along those lines" + "spacehulk soundtrack"

Stay GAMING

Morbid

^ Chaos Gate's music is fantastic. Space Marine has a great soundtrack also.

I really love the old Space Hulk sountrack - it sooo cold and dark

I find that most of the tracks from the Mad Max: Fury Road OST by Tom Holkenborg are great and fitting.

If you really want something dark (very dark) and ambient, try using Lustmord.

It might be too dark for your standard investigation-mission, but if the Chaos gets thick, turn on some Lustmord.

Edited by Laddeus

Try "Reign of Fire" soundtrack - from the Movie...