1st Time GM Issues With Difficult Players

By IronKaiser, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

This guy reminds me of a bad player a friend if mine had in a VTM gamed called "Crazy Man". I think the same plaher tried to play a MTG card in a DnD game.....

Thankfully he hasn't tried that yet.

Give him time....

It's good to deny players such as those attention they desire so much. If they ignore team, wander off and expect you to provide him with a side quest, make it one-roll thing. Don't bother with inventing anything, use related speech when he's talking to NPC's, put walls and just nothing in front of him. Keep main focus on the rest of the group. Oh, and don't provide him with foes to fight while he's on one of his "side quests". His only reward for leaving the group should be loneliness and boredom.

If you DO provide a foe for him to fight....make it one he has no possible hope of defeating alone. One of the first rules to RPGs is...don't split the party! The 40k universe is very deadly - even for an Astartes

No! This way you do something only for him and that's something he wanted from the start. He's not supposed to get your attention.

Every new way to make his play miserable you invent - granting corruption or insanity points, taking away equipment - is his success, because you are the one who's concerned about him, while he doesn't give a single **** for you or the team. Believe me. Best lesson for such players is isolation.

Every time he gets selfish, give him corruption points for putting his ego ahead of service to the emperor. Eventually have him get corrupt enough to have some real consequences.

Or just have a carnifex eat him. lots quicker that way..

if you really want to XXXX him royally, have that necron lord interested in returning to the time of flesh steal him body and incarnate a necron into it. Then make his character a super nightmare NPC the team must track down and destroy... Yeah, that's really evil, but maybe deserved in this case.

BTW, his name couldn't be sam klein, could it? This sounds like him. If it is, you should just kick him out.

His name is not Sam Klein. I am working on a way to screw him over, and the best part is he did it to himself.

He's playing a Dark Angel who wants to become a Chaplain, and in his mind, the primary function of a chaplain is to torture people. So while on the introductory mission I did, basically a prologue before they got to Watch Fortress Erioch, they were traveling on a ship and I let them explore it and to interact with various NPC's and such. His character decided to head down to the prison block to work on his torturing techniques, putting his attention on a very creepy twelve-year-old girl (I'm running with the idea that she is a legion daemon host, as in their are several warp-entities residing in her, yet they fight with each other so much that she is still, mostly, in charge) who had been discovered on a derelict Blackship where she had broken free and slaughtered everyone, which is how the Deathwatch got their hands on her, they had investigated the ship believing it had been the work of Dark Eldar raiders, eerily enough, she went with them without putting up a fight. His character then decided to torture her for four hours, not for information, just to practice his torture skills. This naturally brought his character to her attention, and now she has an obsession with him and is screwing with him even though she is supposed to be locked away in the Watch Fortresses holding cells designed to hold entities like her, speaking to him when he's alone and leaving creepy crayon drawings for him. It doesn't help that she's part of a larger Tzeentchian cult, who are going to be the ultimate big bads of this campaign. Right now, I'm torn between having little Agatha's big sisters and brothers kill him horribly, or break him and forcibly turn him to chaos. Meanwhile, his continued contact with Agatha will force him to get corruption points.

I am working on making sure the other players get their own rivals/arch enemies, but it really worked out way too well how he just walked into his current dire predicament against a group of opponents who will definitely outmatch and crush him, especially if he tries to take them on by himself.

Also, I do like your Necron Lord possession idea. You do get evil genius points for that.

Don't wanna spoil the fun for you, but this is not the best way to build campaign. First of all, if there's an arch nemesis in a campaign, it shouldn't be exclusive for one player only. You never know if other players are motivated enough to fight for someone else's case, especially if he's jerk. It's better to create one villain, with rich history and ties to every player character in the group, instead of creating lots of villains.

Besides if that player is an epic jerk, the kind you've mentioned before, you shouldn't distinguish him by inventing whole campaign around his character. Best strategy (besides talking to him about it) is to lessen any significance of his character's deeds while he's doing his private quests.

@ IronKaiser ...

1. If you are not going to drop him from the RPG group, then have a serious sit-down with him (make sure he knows this is a serious sit-down too) and talk with him. When you do have the sit-down, be serious ; no jokes, no snarky comments, no sarcasm, no angry reactions, no frustrated reactions. Your face and attitude must be somber and he must understand you are being serious about this issue. Because if you are not showing you are taking this problem seriously, then he will not take it seriously either.

As already said, playing an RPG is a cooperative, not combative, affair between the GameMaster and the Players (not their characters). Together, the GM and the Players tell a story, a story which both parties (ideally) should be able enjoy. And the Kill Team is just that, a team. If he wants to play a single player RPG, there are plenty of other games for WH40K for that. .

2. If your problem-Player refuses to get this point, then as harsh as it is, you have to drop him from the Play Group. Toxic Players should be treated as such, contained, removed from site, and disposed of; lest they contaminate the entire Play Group.

3. From an in-game Rules point, which you can explain to your problem-Player...

- a. The Renown Rank-system is there for a reason. Almost every Battle Brother that undertakes the Long Watch is already an experienced warrior amongst his home Chapter, but with his arrival to the Deathwatch, he must start afresh ( Renown Rank: Initiate ). Only through deeds during his tenure with the Deathwatch may he earn the trust and Renown to access their vast, but not limitless , resources of esoteric gear/weapons.

It does not matter if the Battle Brother single-handedly beat-down Abaddon the Despolier with un-powered chainsword.

It does not matter if the Battle Brother was allowed inside The Golden Throne to play strip poker with six lingerie-clad Adepta Soritas he brought with him.

It does not matter if there are statues of the Battle Brother across the galaxy, so grand that Goge Vandire would say, "Dang, that's excessive...!"

Once you enter the Deathwatch, all of that earns you Renown Rank: Initiate , with accordingly appropriate access and restrictions.

- b. One good example, from DW(07): First Founding , the Ultramarines' T yrannic W ar V eteran Advanced Speciality. The TWV is a hardened and scarred veteran against Hive Fleet Behemoth, who stood strong against the greatest (physical) threat to the Imperium and survived, and considered worthy to stand among the Ultramarines' First Company. The TMV 's start at RANK 1 among the Deathwatch.

- c. Another example, also from DW(07): First Founding , the Blood Angels' Sanguinary Priest. Revered among both the Blood Angels and their Successors, the Sanguinary Priests are honoured even among (most) other Chapters outside of Sanguinius' bloodline(s). The Sanguinary Priest also starts at RANK 1 when entering service to the Deathwatch.

4. This does not mean you cannot reward effort in Giving Characters Life, or Player Effort.

- a. If a Player writes out a good backstory to their Space Marine, I reward up to +1 Renown per page. College rules writing for judging its writing quality; such as no double-spacing lines (except where appropriate, of course; such as paragraph breaks), no over-sizing text filler, no filler of superfluous adjectives describing each of the myriad viridian blades of lush flora which covered the abundant field of vegetation (aka: "a grass lawn").

- b. A Player that writes out the mission(s)/adventure(s) they complete. Minimum +1 Renown if just a one (full) page mission summary or after-action report, up to +9 Renown if it could be posted as a full-on fan-fiction (here or any other WH40K fan-fiction site, depending). Again, college rules for judging.

- c. If the Player provides either Character Art, or in your case, miniatures that are exacting in detail(s) to the respective Characters, up to +5 Renown per unit. A generic Space Hulk Blood Angel figure? Zero. A painted Ultramarines Tactical Marine, but in Ultramarines' colors? +1 Renown. A Black Templar Chaplain, painted in Deathwatch colors, with Deathwatch-silver Devotion Chains attached to his Crozius Arcanum? +5 Renown.

- d. Recording &/or Blogging (video or just audio) the adventure(s). Not just putting a 'smart'-phone down in front of you and hitting "Record" (zero points); at least a dedicated mic (if not multiple) with a laptop (for only audio blogging/recording).

Unlike the above, this is a recurring reward: up to +2 Renown per audio play-session, up to +4 Renown per video play-session. One of the finest I ever worked with was a video recording of the play-sessions near-equal to those blog-sessions done by Comic Book Men, with multiple cameras fixed upon each Player's table seating and overlooking the table (this was for another RPG many years ago, not Deathwatch). To be fair, the guy was a professional AV tech, but man...I rewarded him BIG TIME in-game for his [time + effort]. Why? Because he earned it, not just self-lauded that he "deserved" it.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Or put another way, from Men In Black (#1)...

(the newly recruited) [Agent J]: All right, I'm in. 'Cause there's some next level **** going on and I'm OK with that. But before y'all go beaming me up there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me... so you recognized the skills. So I don't want nobody calling me 'son' or 'kid' or 'sport' or nothing like that. Cool?

[Agent K]: Cool, whatever you say, Slick. But I need to tell you something about all your 'skills'... As of right now, they mean precisely...****.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pendrake71

Every time he gets selfish, give him corruption points for putting his ego ahead of service to the emperor. Eventually have him get corrupt enough to have some real consequences.

Or just have a carnifex eat him. lots quicker that way..

if you really want to XXXX him royally, have that necron lord interested in returning to the time of flesh steal him body and incarnate a necron into it. Then make his character a super nightmare NPC the team must track down and destroy... Yeah, that's really evil, but maybe deserved in this case.

BTW, his name couldn't be sam klein, could it? This sounds like him. If it is, you should just kick him out.

His name is not Sam Klein. I am working on a way to screw him over, and the best part is he did it to himself.

He's playing a Dark Angel who wants to become a Chaplain, and in his mind, the primary function of a chaplain is to torture people. So while on the introductory mission I did, basically a prologue before they got to Watch Fortress Erioch, they were traveling on a ship and I let them explore it and to interact with various NPC's and such. His character decided to head down to the prison block to work on his torturing techniques, putting his attention on a very creepy twelve-year-old girl (I'm running with the idea that she is a legion daemon host, as in their are several warp-entities residing in her, yet they fight with each other so much that she is still, mostly, in charge) who had been discovered on a derelict Blackship where she had broken free and slaughtered everyone, which is how the Deathwatch got their hands on her, they had investigated the ship believing it had been the work of Dark Eldar raiders, eerily enough, she went with them without putting up a fight. His character then decided to torture her for four hours, not for information, just to practice his torture skills. This naturally brought his character to her attention, and now she has an obsession with him and is screwing with him even though she is supposed to be locked away in the Watch Fortresses holding cells designed to hold entities like her, speaking to him when he's alone and leaving creepy crayon drawings for him. It doesn't help that she's part of a larger Tzeentchian cult, who are going to be the ultimate big bads of this campaign. Right now, I'm torn between having little Agatha's big sisters and brothers kill him horribly, or break him and forcibly turn him to chaos. Meanwhile, his continued contact with Agatha will force him to get corruption points.

I am working on making sure the other players get their own rivals/arch enemies, but it really worked out way too well how he just walked into his current dire predicament against a group of opponents who will definitely outmatch and crush him, especially if he tries to take them on by himself.

Also, I do like your Necron Lord possession idea. You do get evil genius points for that.

Don't wanna spoil the fun for you, but this is not the best way to build campaign. First of all, if there's an arch nemesis in a campaign, it shouldn't be exclusive for one player only. You never know if other players are motivated enough to fight for someone else's case, especially if he's jerk. It's better to create one villain, with rich history and ties to every player character in the group, instead of creating lots of villains.

Besides if that player is an epic jerk, the kind you've mentioned before, you shouldn't distinguish him by inventing whole campaign around his character. Best strategy (besides talking to him about it) is to lessen any significance of his character's deeds while he's doing his private quests.

I am working on making sure everyone has some connection with the main villain of the entire story, with his character getting the connection through one of the villains minions, though I need the villain to establish a connection with all the players. One of the players chose to make a custom chapter through Rites of Battle, rolling it up in front of me as he should, and the arch-nemesis of the story comes off as the perfect villain that his chapters legendary hero faced, he and I discussed it and we both agreed to it. He rolled the "killed a daemon prince" for the deed of legend, so the ultimate villain and manipulator is going to be a daemon princess of Tzeentch. Another of the players is developing a connection by becoming obsessed with the legends surrounding this figure and has undertaking a massive research campaign about this menace, or what little information they can reasonably get her hands on with the rest being classified. I definitely do not want to leave any of my players out and to make sure they all get equal time in the spotlight. We're still early on, so I am devising ways to make sure that they all have a personal stake against the daemon princess. You also bring up some excellent points that I have been thinking about myself, even if I make his characters life a living hell, it will still be him getting the attention, which isn't all that fair to the other players, and it's getting him what he wants, attention. Another fear that I have is that I may be going too big too fast, especially for the first campaign I am GMing for. I do want to thank you for your feedback, you've given me a lot to think about and I may need to rethink the direction I am taking this campaign.

@ IronKaiser ...

1. If you are not going to drop him from the RPG group, then have a serious sit-down with him (make sure he knows this is a serious sit-down too) and talk with him. When you do have the sit-down, be serious ; no jokes, no snarky comments, no sarcasm, no angry reactions, no frustrated reactions. Your face and attitude must be somber and he must understand you are being serious about this issue. Because if you are not showing you are taking this problem seriously, then he will not take it seriously either.

As already said, playing an RPG is a cooperative, not combative, affair between the GameMaster and the Players (not their characters). Together, the GM and the Players tell a story, a story which both parties (ideally) should be able enjoy. And the Kill Team is just that, a team. If he wants to play a single player RPG, there are plenty of other games for WH40K for that.

2. If your problem-Player refuses to get this point, then as harsh as it is, you have to drop him from the Play Group. Toxic Players should be treated as such, contained, removed from site, and disposed of; lest they contaminate the entire Play Group.

3. From an in-game Rules point, which you can explain to your problem-Player...

- a. The Renown Rank-system is there for a reason. Almost every Battle Brother that undertakes the Long Watch is already an experienced warrior amongst his home Chapter, but with his arrival to the Deathwatch, he must start afresh ( Renown Rank: Initiate ). Only through deeds during his tenure with the Deathwatch may he earn the trust and Renown to access their vast, but not limitless , resources of esoteric gear/weapons.

It does not matter if the Battle Brother single-handedly beat-down Abaddon the Despolier with un-powered chainsword. It does not matter if the Battle Brother was allowed inside The Golden Throne to play strip poker with six lingerie-clad Adepta Soritas he brought with him. It does not matter if there are statues of the Battle Brother across the galaxy, so grand that Goge Vandire would say, "Dang, that's excessive...!" Once you enter the Deathwatch, all of that earns you Renown Rank: Initiate , with accordingly appropriate access and restrictions.

- b. One good example, from DW(07): First Founding , the Ultramarines' Tyrannic War Veteran Advanced Speciality. The TWV is a hardened and scarred veteran against Hive Fleet Behemoth, who stood strong against the greatest (physical) threat to the Imperium and survived, and considered worthy to stand among the Ultramarines' First Company. The TMV 's start at RANK 1 among the Deathwatch.

- c. Another example, also from DW(07): First Founding , the Blood Angels' Sanguinary Priest. Revered among both the Blood Angels and their Successors, the Sanguinary Priests are honoured even among (most) other Chapters outside of Sanguinius' bloodline(s). The Sanguinary Priest also starts at RANK 1 when entering service to the Deathwatch.

4. This does not mean you cannot reward effort in Giving Characters Life, or Player Effort.

- a. If a Player writes out a good backstory to their Space Marine, I reward up to +1 Renown per page. College rules writing for judging its writing quality; such as no double-spacing lines (except where appropriate, of course; such as paragraph breaks), no over-sizing text filler, no filler of superfluous adjectives describing each of the myriad viridian blades of lush flora which covered the abundant field of vegetation (aka: "a grass lawn").

- b. A Player that writes out the mission(s)/adventure(s) they complete. Minimum +1 Renown if just a one (full) page mission summary or after-action report, up to +9 Renown if it could be posted as a full-on fan-fiction (here or any other WH40K fan-fiction site, depending). Again, college rules for judging.

- c. If the Player provides either Character Art, or in your case, miniatures that are exacting in detail(s) to the respective Characters, up to +5 Renown per unit. A generic Space Hulk Blood Angel figure? Zero. A painted Ultramarines Tactical Marine, but in Ultramarines' colors? +1 Renown. A Black Templar Chaplain, painted in Deathwatch colors, with Deathwatch-silver Devotion Chains attached to his Crozius Arcanum? +5 Renown.

- d. Recording &/or Blogging (video or just audio) the adventure(s). Not just putting a 'smart'-phone down in front of you and hitting "Record" (zero points); at least a dedicated mic (if not multiple) with a laptop (for only audio blogging/recording).

Unlike the above, this is a recurring reward: up to +2 Renown per audio play-session, up to +4 Renown per video play-session. One of the finest I ever worked with was a video recording of the play-sessions near-equal to those blog-sessions done by Comic Book Men, with multiple cameras fixed upon each Player's table seating and overlooking the table (this was for another RPG many years ago, not Deathwatch). To be fair, the guy was a professional AV tech, but man...I rewarded him BIG TIME in-game for his [time + effort]. Why? Because he earned it, not just self-lauded that he "deserved" it.

Or put another way, from Men In Black (#1)...

[(newly joined) Agent J]: All right, I'm in. 'Cause there's some next level **** going on and I'm OK with that. But before y'all go beaming me up there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me... so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me 'son' or 'kid' or 'sport' or nothing like that, cool?

[Agent K]: Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your 'skills'. As of right now, they mean precisely...****.

Hope this helps.

I do plan to sit down and have a chat with him, I'm hoping he'll take what I have to say to heart and stop being so problematic with both me and the other players.

He's a dork angel? Fine. Make an enemy a fallen. Make it so the whole team has to work together to catch him. If he showboats the fallen escapes. He gets hell from the DW and his chspter, especially members of the DA in DW.

Here's an update, I did have a chat with him today, and I brought up all the issues the other players have been having with him and the way he's been doing all of his rolls in private and trying to make himself the center of attention, he even apologized for storming off. Hopefully, he'll take what I said to heart. Though he does want to purchase with experience the Rites of Battle power armor with multiple histories as signature war gear, so I'm going to have to deal with that. I don't think you can make Power Armor a piece of signature war gear, so I will need to find a way to deal with it. I figure since it's something like power armor, it's going to be far more difficult and expensive for his XP to make it his signature war gear. I at least got him to agree to make all of his rolls in front of me.

Well,for a first time GM you were certainly deal a cruel hand with a player like this, however you seem to be managing the difficulty you were given admirably.

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

If he wants to use SW on an armor, I see no problem. I'm not sure what Req is set for RoB armor, but let's just say it's at 40 Req. This means he has to buy SW AND SW (Master), which will sum up to at least 1500 XP (if he didn't already spend the 500 SW, otherwise he's looking at 2000 XP to spend). Besides, you only get to take SW (Master) once. If he wants to spend that on his armor, well, that's his choice.

Also, in RoB you have rules to determine which kind of armor you get when you're writing your character, so I wouldn't go hard on him trying to get one of those armor. Just don't let him choose freely. Maybe he should make a roll to see which armor might be available for SW. Besides, you should have an eye on his dice when he's rolling for armor history, because some of them can be quite a pain in the ass (looking at you, noisy armor!).

In the end, using SW for an armor isn't the best choice (except SW Hero for Artificer :D ).

Edited by Avdnm

Good job on sitting him down for straight talk.

A suggestion. Let him upgrade his existing armour to master-crafted with signature wargear (master). But I wouldn't let him get to pick a new suit for the hell of it.

Here's an update, I did have a chat with him today, and I brought up all the issues the other players have been having with him and the way he's been doing all of his rolls in private and trying to make himself the center of attention, he even apologized for storming off. Hopefully, he'll take what I said to heart. Though he does want to purchase with experience the Rites of Battle power armor with multiple histories as signature war gear, so I'm going to have to deal with that. I don't think you can make Power Armor a piece of signature war gear, so I will need to find a way to deal with it. I figure since it's something like power armor, it's going to be far more difficult and expensive for his XP to make it his signature war gear. I at least got him to agree to make all of his rolls in front of me.

For Power Armour History, I am fairly lenient in letting the Players choose the one they desire, if they have a specific choice in mind &/or resolute decision. If the Player is genuinely committed, rather than just power-gaming, then the GM should work with that.

If they do not know what they want, then I go by the random-roll method. This is counter-balanced by not forcing the Player to wear an improper-fit Power Armour to the Space Marine's Basic Speciality. Obviously, a Power Armour History which benefits melee-combat is not going to be good for a Devastator, or a Power Armour History that requires it to be pristine and clean to provide its bonuses, is not going to go well with a Flesh Tearers Assault Marine <_< . But for a "neutral" result, one that is neither ideal nor negatively-affecting, then I put my GM-foot down and say they must accept the random-result and must make it work for them.

As for Signature Wargear Talent: Yes, you can apply it to Power Armour. You can apply Signature Wargear Talent to almost anything, even non-weapon/-armour gear. But when it is applied to gear outside the normal requisition-point parameters, that is when you must communicate between Player & GM to define what it entails.

So, if the Player pays the XP Costs for Signature Wargear Talent(s) for a Power Armour, then let him tailor his desire Wargear accordingly (after all, he paid for it), but (also obviously) not to be game-breakingly OverPowered.

This is the core point: Communication . Talk between the GM and the Player for things like this. So it does not devolve into the Player playing the min-max game against the GM and the Player Group. As said before, enjoyable RPG-play is where the GM and the Player(s) work together , not against each other.

[ EDITED ]: DW: Rites of Battle , Older Power Armour... Forgot to write about this topic. If your Player wants to use a Power Armour from DW: Rites of Battle , he should be allowed to.

HOWEVER...

If he wants it for "free," then he must submit to a single random-roll, and accept the result. NO RE-ROLLS either; he gets one shot, and the roll must be witnessed by the GM, if not the entire Play Group. So if the Player rolls up a Mk-8 "Errant" result, he must accept it {Personally I would be more than content with getting a MK-8 "Errant" result for a Rank 1 Character.} . No going back and making a "fresh" character for a "new" roll either.

On the other hand, if he pays the XP for Signature Wargear Talent, then he may choose which available Mk-[number] Power Armour he desires (again, as long as he paid for it). However... He may only go as "low" as a Mk-4 "Maximus" Power Armour. As it says in DW: Rites of Battle , Mk-3 and below are super-rare treasures and not awarded to anything less than those of Renown Rank: Hero , not self-professed or self-lauded "heroes" of Renown Rank: Initiate .

There is one partial exception: Space Marines of the Consecrators Chapter. For a Consecrators Player, when determining their "free" Power Armour Wargear, I allow re-rolls until there is a result of 5-or-less. But at the first result of 5-or-less, that is when the rolling stops.

Edited by pendrake71

If they do not know what they want, then I go by the random-roll method. This is counter-balanced by not forcing the Player to wear an improper-fit Power Armour to the Space Marine's Basic Speciality. Obviously, a Power Armour History which benefits melee-combat is not going to be good for a Devastator, or a Power Armour History that requires it to be pristine and clean to provide its bonuses, is not going to go well with a Flesh Tearers Assault Marine <_< . But for a "neutral" result, one that is neither ideal nor negatively-affecting, then I put my GM-foot down and say they must accept the random-result and must make it work for them.

You shouldn't forget that you are allowed to pick the result above or below your dice result on the history table. That gives enough flexibility, so I wouldn't allow players to choose their history.

Edited by Avdnm

One more week to go till we get back to Deathwatch, yesterday was Dark Heresy 2nd Ed., and apparently, he did not take anything I talked with him about during our heart to heart, too heart. He threw a fit when we wouldn't let him just randomly switch his characters background to the same as his old characters background (he goes through characters very quickly, usually by deliberate suicide, like yesterday.) So he chose to commit suicide by deliberately putting his character in front of me and my flamer, preventing me from properly using it at a very crucial moment without flaming him, he told me he was okay with me flaming his character. This tendency does not bode well for his Deathwatch Kill-Team. Naturally, I didn't want to die, and I didn't want the rest of the group to die as well due to his stupidity, so I flamed him along with the heretics, and he just merrily went right on to making his next "super bad*** character who won't fail to meet his high expectations, like the rest of his characters", he threw a fit when we demanded that he roll up his stats in front of us, saying we didn't trust him. Overlooking, or choosing to ignore the fact, that I had pulled him aside the previous week discussing this very issue with him. So as it stands, our DnD DM has decided to implement a 3 strike rule with him, our Dark Heresy GM is on the verge of kicking him out if he shows up for the next DH session with a character whose stats don't match up with those he rolled, and me anxiously waiting to see what he does with Deathwatch. He also tried to give his own explanation on why his character disappeared during our last Deathwatch session, essentially saying that he got a hint that a Fallen was nearby and he went chasing after it, in a small tau colony. I'm not going to let him go with that, right now I am going with the idea that he was sucked up into the warp, though I have been thinking of alternatives that I and the other players would find to be funnier. Once again, I want to thank you all for the wisdom and experience you have shared with me over these weeks.

Good god this guy is like the second or third worst player i've ever heard of! I do believe sam klein (spit) was way worse but this guy may possibly be second worse.

Airlock him. Now. Try to re-recruit the player(s) that left due to his dickery. Turn his character into a daemonhost or reincarnated necron lord and make hunting him down and purging him a campaign objective. Have him recorded into the DWs hall of shame. Let a new player or old one returning be from the same chapter he was from and begin by apologizibg to the DW for the disgrace he brought his chapter and vow to make amends for his disgraceful behavior.

If your cooperative Players are leaving (or ready to leave), that is the clear sign that you must drop this Toxic Player .

However, when you do confront the Toxic Player to drop him, do so with a flat neutral attitude. Again, no yelling, no flame, no acid, no bad-mouthing, no sarcasm, no put-downs, no jokes, and especially no angry reaction to his (likely) angry reaction. You inform him that he is being dropped, why he is being dropped, and that you tried to work with him but he disregarded it.

You have to be stone-faced neutral with your attitude and tone. Tough, cool (not cold), and un-yielding in the face of flame and acid being thrown upon you. If you react back with even a single flash of anger or acid in return, you vindicate his Toxicity .

Do not vindicate him.

Be as stone.

Edited by pendrake71

Wow. By now this almost belongs in the jokes thread.

I bet the op wishes this was a joke...

I bet the op wishes this was a joke...

I probably could do a joke thread filled with amusing anecdotes, but it would have to go on the Dark Heresy 2nd Ed. Forum since that's where I have the most experience with him, and his never-ending quest to build the perfect "Stealth Tank".

As for today's actual Deathwatch session, it went better than expected. There were no overly major incidents for most of the session, until the boss fight, which he refused to participate in because he thought he would be useless. I had to order him to do something. When the psychic/computer memory of an Old One is tossing your squad mates around the room and psychically downloading a copy of herself into your techmarine while possessing an Interrogator, (I'm actually quite proud of Akasha) you need to do something, anything. He just half-heartedly shot at it with his bolt pistol, when he could have charged her with his jump-pack/chain sword. It got a bit better in the debriefing/downtime, but the incident did stick out and took away from any of the good stuff he did in the downtime portion of the session. It's been agreed upon by me and the other GM's that next week is his last chance. If he acts up again we are kicking him out of our group and the different games that we run.

@ IronKaiser ...

Unfortunate to hear that. Always frustrating when the Player(s) become "The Problem."

Remember: when it comes time to drop him, hold your own emotions firmly in check; do not show exasperation, frustration or reactive anger to his (highly probable) angry/acidic reaction. Tell him directly, clearly, and calmly, to why he is being dropped.

Acting (& re- acting) negatively towards him only makes you the "Bad Guy", both to his Point-of-View and in case-argument overall. So do not be hot (angry &/or acid). Do not be cold (also a negative result). Be cool to the touch and steady in tone.

Be as stone.

Edited by pendrake71

Well, it has been done, today we kicked him out of our group. It was done as amicably and respectfully as possible and he seemed to take it well. I suspect he knew this was coming. I want to thank you all for all the advice you have given me.

Put him in his place. Show him that there are consequences to abandoning his team. As a player I've had some issues with misunderstanding/assuming, which caused MY death. Not my teammates. The fact that I was punished has allowed me to really learn to think things through, but it's a slow process. Hopefully he improves, and hopefully I do too.