Ditching Gold?

By Filippo, in Talisman Rules Questions

I've got a question about gold coins, if you land on a space with 3 gold coins do you have to take all 3 of them or can you choose to take just 1 or 2 or none at all?

In the last game I played I had the deliver 3 gold quest, but I needed to buy a mule for 2 gold and collect a few things before gaining a talisman from the warlock and go for the middle.

But I took all 3 gold (because we were unsure of the ruling) and went to the warlock but it took me ages to find any more gold to buy my mule.

But now I'm unsure after seeing the spendthrift card which gives a choice of how many gold coins you can take (When revealed, roll 2 dice and place that much gold on this card. Once per visit, you MAY TAKE UP TO 2 gold from this card.)

You may take 1, 2 or 3 or even none if you want. But with quests they must be completed as soon as now this might force you to take all 3 gold because its possible for you to complete it. Some players would say that this just means once you have the 3 gold you can't just say "nah" not yet. And I tend to agree with that ruling.

Thanks for the answer on this. :)

I always complete the quests as soon as I meet the criteria.

Just on another note about gold coin counters being able to be ditched.

If gold coin counters are allowed to be ditch they must be Objects because only Objects and Followers can be Ditched. So if Gold coins are Objects how come the Acquisition spell says " Take one Object of your choice or one gold from any character " surely if gold is a Object it should just say " T ake one Object of your choice from any character "?

Just saw this and thought well well :) .

How I see it Bags of Gold are objects until you pick them up as the card says 'Exchange immediately for 1 gold and then place this card on the discard pile.'

But once the Bag of Gold has been immediately exchanged for gold, the exchanged gold is now not an object.

Edited by Neil 666

How I see it Bags of Gold are objects until you pick them up as the card says 'Exchange immediately for 1 gold and then place this card on the discard pile.'

But once the Bag of Gold has been immediately exchanged for gold, the exchanged gold is now not an object.

Well we are talking about the gold coin counters not the Bag of Gold Object cards themselves. But yes I think you hit the nail of the head there.

I've got a question about gold coins, if you land on a space with 3 gold coins do you have to take all 3 of them or can you choose to take just 1 or 2 or none at all?

In the last game I played I had the deliver 3 gold quest, but I needed to buy a mule for 2 gold and collect a few things before gaining a talisman from the warlock and go for the middle.

But I took all 3 gold (because we were unsure of the ruling) and went to the warlock but it took me ages to find any more gold to buy my mule.

But now I'm unsure after seeing the spendthrift card which gives a choice of how many gold coins you can take (When revealed, roll 2 dice and place that much gold on this card. Once per visit, you MAY TAKE UP TO 2 gold from this card.)

You may take 1, 2 or 3 or even none if you want. But with quests they must be completed as soon as now this might force you to take all 3 gold because its possible for you to complete it. Some players would say that this just means once you have the 3 gold you can't just say "nah" not yet. And I tend to agree with that ruling.

This is incorrect. You need not pickup gold just because it is on the space and you have a quest that wants gold. This is a total misunderstanding of what having to complete the quest as soon as possible means. It is tantamount to saying if you have a quest that says to kill a dragon and roll a movement die that could land you on a dragon that you must go that way instead of the other, or that if you land on a space with a follower you must take it if you have the quest to delivers two followers. That is nonsense.

This is incorrect. You need not pickup gold just because it is on the space and you have a quest that wants gold. This is a total misunderstanding of what having to complete the quest as soon as possible means. It is tantamount to saying if you have a quest that says to kill a dragon and roll a movement die that could land you on a dragon that you must go that way instead of the other, or that if you land on a space with a follower you must take it if you have the quest to delivers two followers. That is nonsense.
Edited by Uvatha