Citadel Guard question

By simply2, in BattleLore

Hi guys, I could do with some help here please...

So, I attack with a Citadel Guard, and roll 2 x double sword, and 1 x retreat/morale flag.

I commit 1 x double sword to Superior Tactics, but what happens next ?

Options ( of which only one will be correct ) appear to be :

Knowing that special ability dice results must be committed first...

A. I commit to, and implement, Superior Tactics, ignoring the other 2 dice rolls completely, even though I'm sure I have read somewhere that retreat rolls are not optional, they must be used.

B. I commit to Superior Tactics, but before I physically implement it, I inflict the other double sword hit, AND force the enemy to retreat one hex through the retreat flag roll, THEN I physically implement Superior Tactics, meaning the enemy moves another hex further away, I pursue 1 hex, but of course cannot attack that same enemy unit a second time because I'm no longer adjacent....

C. Something else.

Thx.

After having committed one double swords, the target unit takes one hit (if it cannot ignore it) and retreats two hexes (if not supported or otherwise able to ignore flag results).

So essentially, when rolling attack dice for the CG's, if at least one retreat flag is rolled you are better off using any double sword results as hits, because Superior Tactics becomes redundant unless there is a 2nd target to go at after pursue 1, or the act of inflicting 2 or more retreats inflicts its own damage.

Hmm...

ok, thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

Superior Tactics allows basically to transform double swords (don't remember if it's strike or cleave the name, but doesn't matter) into a retreat. This is useful for two reasons:

a) being particularly effective when you need to remove units from a building / a VP banner (you now have 2 results out of 6 that can be used for such a purpose)

b) granting the Guards an extra chance at triggering Pursue (often a second attack could be preferrable to a single hit)

So, yes, in your example, probably the best resolution would be scoring two hits and then applying the morale flag. Pursue is still triggered this way, and if the unit survived, hey, the second attack will do the job. Still, there are cases where you actually may want to trigger the ability even if you already rolled a flag: for instance if you're attacking a Chaos Lord, two flags are the minimum requirement to have that thing move 1 hex away (and you usually don't want the CL to counter your attack)