Dragoon style(mounted and unmounted shooting) rough riders regiment

By Feng the techno barbarian, in Only War House Rules

hey guy's i am looking for advice for abilty's and aptitudes and bonuses to give to a new regiment type that specializes in dragoon tactics(shooting both unmounted and mounted with the occasional sabre charge when needed or alternatively charge in a wedge then cut your way out then start riding around shooting stuff) i have decided for regimental gear each player gets a mount(or if you wanna go biker route replace riding skill or whatever you use with tech use and operate surface vehicle and exchange horse or whatever your using for a verbian combat bike), a chainsword, and a las carbine with miscellaneous riding tack and supply's, i am thinking of giving them a new order type(cavalry wedge though this goes for lancer aka vanilla rough riders as well) i also plan on something that allows them to use a two handed basic ranged weapon while being able to steer their horse(or velociraptor or lizard cow or whatever your using as a mount) with their legs! at any rate how would you guy's(or gals) implement this type of actually practical rough riding, any tips or advice or new ideas are appreciated! also let me know if there was a oversight at any point on my part! thanks in advance!

seriously no replies?

Well, I have been to busy to look through the book, which I wanted to do in order to give you a useful reply.

So, why are you not just using the rough riders regiment from Hammer of the Emperor?

Home world: Post Cataclysmic World 3
Commander: Bilious 2
Regiment Type: Close Assault Regiment 3
Doctrines: Skirmishers 4
Special Equipment: Cavalry Mounts 5
Drawback: The Few +5
Skills: Awareness, Low Gothic, Survival, Dodge
Char: +6 to WS, +3 Agility, +3 to BS, -3 Intelligence
Talents: Resistance (Fear), Paranoia, Ambush, Lightning Reflexes
Special: 1d5 insanity, Skirmish doctrine
Aptitudes: Agility
Wounds: Normal
Standard Kit:
Sword and Cavalry Spear, one Imperial Guard flak armor, 3 frag and 2 krack grenades
plus 30 points on equipment. I suggest micro bead 8, lascarabine 5, survival suit 8 or respirator, photo visor 8

Fav weapon: Autocannon, meltagun

Well, I have been to busy to look through the book, which I wanted to do in order to give you a useful reply.

So, why are you not just using the rough riders regiment from Hammer of the Emperor?

uhhhmmm because rough riders vanilla are essentially useless except for one thing charging with explosive lances that are one use only(why they dont have other hunting lance tips that they can screw on to use their lances repeatedly after they cut and shoot their way out is beyond me) also you completely missed the point of the post im creating this regiment type because rough riders are melee lancer cavalry(aka shock), what i am looking for is skirmisher cavalry that can fight unmounted when needed and can also charge on horse back with sabres(or in this case chainswords)

Edited by Feng the techno barbarian

Standard Kit:

Sword and Cavalry Spear, one Imperial Guard flak armor, 3 frag and 2 krack grenades

plus 30 points on equipment. I suggest micro bead 8, lascarabine 5, survival suit 8 or respirator, photo visor 8

Standard Kit:

Standard Kit:

seriously is the post this confusing? i am not creating a regiment i am creating a regiment archetype(aka like armored or grenadiers, or drop troops) also charging with lances is what there not ment to do(however charging with sabers or chainswords they can do nicely in a pitch) these guys are supposed to be dragoons(aka cavalry that can fight on foot as well on horseback, and mainly run around and shoot on horseback) though thanks for posting and trying to be helpfull

Edited by Feng the techno barbarian

Cost: 6 points
Characteristics: +3 Agility, +3 Willpower, –3 Fellowship (neither liked by infantry, nor by cavalry, often used as a policing unit)
Starting Skills: Survival (riding)
Starting Talents: Hip Shooting (they can ride slowly and shoot!, woow)
Standard Kit: 1 Las Carabine and 4 charge packs (Main Weapon) per Player or 2 Laspistols and 4 charge packs per Player
1 Cavalry Sabre (sword) (dragoons generally dont fight on horseback)
1 flak jacket and flak helmet per Player Character, (light armor)
1 riding beast per Player Character , 1 saddle per Player Character,
2 saddlebags per Player Character, 1 set of riding tack (reins,
harness, etc) per Player Character.

Special: For a cost of additional 1 point, they can exchange their mounts for combat bikes, and change Survival Skill for Operate (Surface)

They cost 6 points because - normal rough riders cost 5, and these guys have tier 2 talent at the begining, and they have 2 main weapons at the begining (lascarabine and sabre) plus additional +3 to WP. You can downgrade them to 5 points, but you'll need to discard one of the weapons (lascarabine or sabre, and get main wpn and laspistol), and +3 to WP.

Yes, your post was a bit confusing because you don't structure your text very well. It was one massive block, almost no periods or commas.

On topic:
I do think that using rough riders with the right additional equipment can serve this role well, but Amaimon's idea looks pretty good too.

If you wouln't be a moron and bother looking at what regiment I made, you would notice that close assault regiment has three weapon options available:

First is a combat shotgun second is a great weapon and third is i a pair of low tech one handed weapons. Which can be flails, spears, cavalry lancer or even hunting lances. I chose spear and sword, because two swords is stupid, when riding on horseback, and having a light lance can be usefull. If that lance is glaring at your eyes, swap it to some other thing.

There are only few options to include long fighting weapon such as sword, and they are all costly. This one is the cheepest, and fits thematicaly.

I used Skirmishers doctrine because you want skirmishers cavalry.

I used Cavalry mounts as they are essentialy not cavalry but fast moving infantry.

Or you can use regiment that I tweaked from rough riders.

Edited by Amaimon

If you wouln't be a moron and bother looking at what regiment I made, you would notice that close assault regiment has three weapon options available:

First is a combat shotgun second is a great weapon and third is i a pair of low tech one handed weapons. Which can be flails, spears, cavalry lancer or even hunting lances. I chose spear and sword, because two swords is stupid, when riding on horseback, and having a light lance can be usefull. If that lance is glaring at your eyes, swap it to some other thing.

There are only few options to include long fighting weapon such as sword, and they are all costly. This one is the cheepest, and fits thematicaly.

I used Skirmishers doctrine because you want skirmishers cavalry.

I used Cavalry mounts as they are essentialy not cavalry but fast moving infantry.

Or you can use regiment that I tweaked from rough riders.

dude i looked at your regiment, also thank you for your help with the dragoon regiment i like your version

I think this was the point of Cavalry Mounts - mounted infantry etc.

Question: how would you rule cyber-cavalry?

Just straightforward (Rough Rider or Cavalry Mounts) + variant Cyber-Enhanced (8 points used), because they get cybernetics, except applied to the mount?

Or as (Rough Rider or Cavalry Mounts) + variant Servitor Accompaniment (7 points used), because cyber-steeds are an augmented replacement of normal mounts, and it involves less demanding "veterinary grade" implant work?

The mount could be either generic cyber-steed conversion (-Bestial +Machine(2), AP from Machine also protects the rider, but only Legs and Body) as Fidelus Knight's mount - though it's better for RR than mounted infantry, or Kustom (Cyber-Creature upgrade, like cyber-familiars, even with accidental madness, it can be partially negated if one of the implants is injector rig, which is a good idea anyway).

Edited by TBeholder

Very interesting discussion. I am also looking for ways to introduce more forms of cavalry to my games, mostly looking at ways to bring hussars and cuirassiers, in addition to lancers and dragoons as well as other potential types, into the Only War battlefield. I do however agree that most can be used with the current rule set although some specialized equipment might, in my eyes, be reasonable in order to provide the tools for the cavalry trade.