"Focus" rule

By Commediante, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Focus rule is designed to invite more dynamic and changing situations into battles. It's very simple.

A character may Focus during the battle on one task and receive +10 bonus to Test it needs to pass to fullfill it. If it's an Attack, it's target should be strictly specified. If it's using a skill, it should be determined what does the character want to achieve and whether there is other character involved in it (focusing on more than one character at a time is impossible)*.

Until Focusing character's next turn he or she needs to pass Awareness Test to notice all attacks coming at him/her, with the exception of attacks returned by it's target. If the Test is failed, the Focusing character counts as Surprised.

It's designed to add some depth to planning encounters and making them more sneakylike. Besides it makes real life tactics possible to use in the game.

I think this shoulda been in the default rules personally Commediante!

I am a player/GM who believes strongly in risk vs. reward game style and of that for any boon there should be an equally opposing foil mechanics wise!

Good Stuff

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Thanks!

I also thought that there could be Talent adding Focus against pinning character to Pinning status. It seems natural to be entirely dedicated to someone who's surpressing you with heavy machine gun fire.

And also, Awareness test should be opposite test Awareness vs Stealth, not flat Awareness. Difficulty could be modified by couple of things, but not too many, like nearby semi- and full-auto bursts, nearby using of eXplosive weapon type, all the things that increase noise and make the battle more messy.

I could also imagine gear that marks targets for wearer and assures he can't be surprised, but I suppose it fits Tau Empire more than Inq acolytes.

Edited by Commediante