Making Dori Shine (sort of)

By dalestephenson, in Strategy and deck-building

Morgul Vale was defeated in two tries. The first time the Boromir deck threated out right when stage 3 was hit. The second time saw less "raise threat" events and Secret Vigil and a Gandalf play on the Boromir deck kept threat reasonable. It took quite a while to work through stage one, Dori did his part in helping early defense, but was lost to an undefended bat attack with a +6 attack shadow. It took a while to eliminate Murzag's bodyguards, but I built up Denethor to defend for seven (Shield + Warning + Arwen), and with unexpected courage, song of wisdom, burning brand, and armored destrier he could defend three attacks risk-free and toss a shadow for a forth, which let Boromir and the allies whittle down the enemies without having to use Boromir's power much at all.

After eliminating Murzag, Alcoron was out for exactly one quest phase, as I sneaked Gandalf to do four damge to him in the quest phase, then with Gandalf adding to the quest I was able to clear Morgul Road and eliminate Alcaron. I did the first damage to the Nazgul in the combat phase. The next turn I played Gandalf and used his direct damage for the second point, then did the third damage in the combat phase. The next turn (still no bodyguards back out), I did the fourth damage then discarded Boromir to finish him off.

Next up -- Noldor hijinks as Dori and the Twins take on the Ringmaker cycle. The awesome power of Elven-light takes on card draw hate.

Edited by dalestephenson

With the new Leadership-Gimli-Hero you get a new good partner for Dori. Both of them have reactions which trigger at the same time. So Gimli can be declared as a defender (with sentinel) and Dori exhaust and support him with his DEF-Value. After that, Gimli pays one res to ready Dori. If Gimli has an Amored Destrier attached Gimli could get ready too. Ready to do this combo a second time. Perfect .. who needs Beregond? :)

Edited by JanB

Intesresting!

Hey, that's awesome! I totally missed that!

On 1.2.2017 at 3:50 PM, Lecitadin said:

Intesresting!

On 1.2.2017 at 4:24 PM, Authraw said:

Hey, that's awesome! I totally missed that!

Here is my deck:

After testing my idea of Dori-Gimli-Teamwork i had to say that this combo is amazing. We played Wastes of Eriador with three players. One uses traps with Haldir, Damrod and L-Faramir the second partner playes a mono-spirit-Caldara-Deck with Cirdan and Narya.

Perfekt fit for my Bulwark and Archery Deck. The whole game engageing many enemies are not a problem. Gimli and Dori blocks most of them on their own/together. Dori gets some wounds and transfers them into resources by using Dwarvenshield and Gimli tried to get no damage and readies/collects resources by The Day's Rising/Heir of Mardil. Legolas hits the table very quick, so Cirdan+Narya helped me draw 2 cards per combat phase. Perfekt!

How did it work against Ringmaker and its card-draw hate? It certainly put a damper on Elven-light use. I actually went through several iterations. In the Isengard deluxe, I actually had the twins split up and managed to beat all three quests that way, but with having to wait to get ranged on Elladan or sentinel on Elrohir for them to work together, I abandoned two balanced deck and split it combat/questing.

I then went through the next four quests with a fat (65 card) deck questing deck with more Noldor and copies-in-discard events, but found I wasn't really using them, just choosing to discard them. So I tightened it back to 51 and a single copy of Narya, Lords of the Eldar and To the Sea! while cutting some other events and allies completely -- I could should get rid of Narya, honestly, since the setup to make it useful takes long enough that the combat deck doesn't need the help. Like the Heir of Mardil/Day's Rising cards, the card serves as a "wouldn't that be cool" placeholder rather than a card that actually gets used. I took down the last two quests with the published deck.

Dori and the Damage:

http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/1309/dori-and-the-damage

I wanted to match up Argalad, Thalin, and every direct damage card I could think of. To get maximum benefit from Thalin's wimpy questing, that meant two of the other heroes had to be TaTheoden and Dain, and since it's a Dori fellowship it had to be Dori as a third tactics hero.

So Dori/Thalin/TaTheoden were one deck and Dain/Argalad were in the other deck. Since I was planning on taking the fellowship against the Angmar Awakened cycle, the obvious pick for the remaining hero was Balin, and I actually took that version of the deck through the three Lost Realm quests, winning each on the first try. But the mass discarding got me thinking that I'd never tried a Dwarven Miner deck before, so I swapped out Balin for a spirit dwarf -- Oin. My thinking was that Theoden could boost him too once five dwarves were out, but sadly that's not actually the case. And my deck bloated out when I put all the mining-related cards in it, so honestly it was probably a better deck before the changes rather than after. But I think it's a more interesting deck.

How did it do against the quests in Angmar awakened? It took down Wastes of Eriador first try, though it was a near run thing (49 threat). I killed the boss wolf with Hail of Stones.

Escape From Mount Gram didn't work at all as presently constituted, since the basic theme of the deck is the Argalad/Thalin combo. Oin turned out to be the best choice on the mining deck to work alone (Theoden on the other deck, of course), but in order to beat the quest I had to rebuild the tri-sphere deck completely with secrecy cards.

Etenmoors went down first try, even though the trolls couldn't be taken down quickly. Rhuadar gave me fits -- the first three tries I had locations flood out at the beginning and got location locked. The fourth try went better; I was able to claim two of the clues but got banged up, and was denied final victory in two consecutive turns -- the first time by Curse of the Years wiping out my banged-up questing armies, the second time by Curse of the Years wiping out my banged up heroes. Fifth try was the charm; I failed to get any of the clues, thanks to a quest-switching treachery on my final chance, but managed to power through the end stage anyway.

The fellowship just had no chance against Carn Dum -- three tries in normal mode, three tries in easy mode. I only got to the second stage once, with Burning Brand on Dain, but he couldn't defend against both sides at once. My last try, a completely healthy Dain, backed by Dori, was eliminated with a single Thaurdir attack thanks to shadows.

Dread Realm was a better fit for the deck because of the low HP enemies, though neither re-animated dead nor extra copies of Cursed Dead are dinged by Thalin. I ended up using Test of Will on Cursed Dead (near the end of the deck) twice. However, two things saved me -- neither Erebor Record Keeper nor Honour Guard ever ended up in the discard pile, so Dark Sorcery couldn't wipe them out, and Dori ended up with two Spears of the Citadel on him. Once I had all the Record Keepers out, Unexpected Courage on Dori, and Song of Wisdom/Steward of Gondor on Dain, Dori could wipe out five reanimated dead and/or Cursed Dead per turn without resolving shadows, which can be a good thing when you go from an empty staging area to seven enemies in one go.

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

Dori ended up with two Spears of the Citadel on him.

They're limit 1 per character...

Dang it!

I just took a brief look at the "limit 1 per" attachments. Why would Fearless Scout and Doughty Ranger need to be 1 per hero? Am I missing something?

Haven't published a Dori fellowship in a while, but this one my son and I used to take down the Dreamchaser cycle at Christmas:

https://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/3465/doriside-questsandleeomer

Galadriel, Fastred, and LeEomer are a beautiful thing when set up with Nenya, Herugrim and Firefoot. It was especially great with ships -- A ship engages and pops out a corsair. Corsair gets popped by Fastred back into the staging area. Next quest phase, Eomer skewers the corsair with the spillover damage going onto the ship. Thurindir helped get the parts together by ensuring we started with Gather Information -- though we quickly learned we *really* needed Nenya to make progress.

45 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Haven't published a Dori fellowship in a while, but this one my son and I used to take down the Dreamchaser cycle at Christmas:

https://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/3465/doriside-questsandleeomer

Galadriel, Fastred, and LeEomer are a beautiful thing when set up with Nenya, Herugrim and Firefoot. It was especially great with ships -- A ship engages and pops out a corsair. Corsair gets popped by Fastred back into the staging area. Next quest phase, Eomer skewers the corsair with the spillover damage going onto the ship. Thurindir helped get the parts together by ensuring we started with Gather Information -- though we quickly learned we *really* needed Nenya to make progress.

This is similar to the sniper fellowship I ran with my buddy through dreamchaser. Though I had seen the eomer + galadriel combo before, I wanted to try run a "do not engage, kill before they attack" approach.

Ran Smerry, eomer, and fastred on one side, tilbo, thalin and Argalad on the other side. That was two of my favorite decks to date.

Funnily enough, a lot of stuff was going across the table.

Recently, I came across a solo deck called "eomer-smash", which utilizes the three hunters contract, still does the eomer-galadriel combo, with teowyn. The result is one of the most overpowering questing decks I've ever played with. I tested it against the 5 starter scenarios and beat all 5, taking three attempts to beat dol guldor.

Now, this doesnt belong in a discussion about dori, but I figured I'd share.

Dori tends not to be the most important hero in any given Dori fellowship. Here his role is to help keep Fastred alive, provide emergency defense, and if somebody has to sacrifice himself to an undefended attack, it's going to be Dori.

Poor Dori.

I posted about this fellowship in another thread, but I don't think I've mentioned it here, the fellowship we used to take down the LOTR saga, Dori and Caldara:

https://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/152

We used a house rule that Caldara in the discard, after using her ability, wasn't *really* a fallen hero. We defeated Mount Doom by the skin of our teeth -- and with a dead Dori, since in the final quest we didn't have to worry about dead heroes anymore!

We've started the Harad cycle with a fellowship titled "Dori helps Galadriel play Gandalf every turn". Dori's the unlikely third hero to a Dale deck, which uses Errand Rider to help the Celeborn/Radagast/Galadriel combo get the six resources it needs to play Gandalf every turn -- Radagast (Word of Command) and Galadriel (Mirror) can find parts quickly. But tromping through the desert, it actually turned into Play Elrond Every Turn.