Show you your chapter!

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

Ok, I hope this post doesn't magically double...

Have you created a chapter for DW? If so, share it with us.

My chapter is called "the Force of Wisdom". I came up with it for two reasons...

One, there were notes that if a chapter suffered a loss of it's black carapace or progenoid implants itn would be the end of the chapter. This made me wonder how a chapter might survive a flaw that affected these.

two, I really liked the mentor legion but never could stand the green and white power armor colors. The owl symbol was a nice tough but in reality owls are not very bright birds regardless of appearance, and in truth the most intelligent bird in the raven and it's cousin, the crow. (I had a memorable experience with 3 crows one, if anyone's interested I'll tell you.)

So I had a few ideas that merged together in a mental petri dish in my mind and produced a new marine chapter.

The Force of Wisdom is a fairly unique, non codex chapter that was based on the ravenguard chapter. Shortly after their founding a disaster struck them when failures develiped in their geneseed that resulted in frequent failures of their black carapace and progenoid implants. In about half the cases of a Force of Wisdom inductee, the black carapace fails to form correctly and atr least one progenoid does not develop.

While many others may have seen these as omens of doom, the force of reason chapter refused to simply collapse and instead adapted to their circumstances. Fully half the chapter cannot use power armor, so they wear scout armor thru their careers that has usually been adapted to serve in more environments than the usual. There are variants that can keep a man alive and fighting ijn vacuum, under water, in polluted and or radioactive environments, etc.

The FoW can field these units as full battle squads but more often relies on them as a massive reconnaissance force.

Also, the FoW frequently works had in gauntlet with the Imperial guard, adeptas soriatas, frateris milita and other imperial fighting forces to bolster and augment imperial forces rather than doing the brunt of the fighting. Due to their low rate of progenoid production, they are particularly loathe to lose battle brothers, but never hesitate to do so when necessary, They frequently work to make conventional imperial for4ces more effective, however. FoW scout squads are remarkably effective at gathering and delivering intelligence, thanks to various factors such as vast experience with scout armor and unusual amounts of advanced equipment. FoW scouts seem to have access to large amount of cameoline, fore example, and many of them enhance their senses with advanced wargear such as hi resolution long range man portable auspex devices and cybernetic enhancement of their senses. The fact that the FoW has access to these items suggests a strong tie to the tech priests of the Adeptus mechanicus, a situation neither side denies or confirms.

The information the FoW relays, often in near real time, has drastically increased the eff4ectiveness of conventional imperial forces they are assisting. Plus precision, calculated strikes against key enemy targets by scout units and the chapters conventional battle brothers have an effect vastly our of proportion to their actual numbers or physical damage done.

It is rumored that the FoW sometimes enhances the effectiveness of imperial force commanders they work with thru close 'advise and counsel" that may involve using modified hypno conditioning and teaching equipment normally reserved for adapetus astartes forces. These sessions of hyypno therapy conditioning are rumored to quickly increase the skill levels of commanders subjected to them, at least for a limited time.

While an unconventional marine chapter the effectiveness sof the FoW has been inarguable, and plain to see for all who have access to the full data set. Some marine chapters have disdained and even scorned the FoW for not being as quick to send mass formations into heavy combat, the FoW simply keeps its own council on such accusations.

The ultimate sanction of the FoW's methods came when the high lords decided to model anew chapter of marines upon their dogma, if not their geneseed, and call it the Mentor Legion.

The chapter's legendary reputation for levelheadedness, clarity of thought and precision of action in addition to their economic use of force has seemingly endeared them to both the Adeptus mechanicus, who seem to work closely with them on many occasions and favor their aid over more conventional chapters when necessary, and to the Inquisition who often needs a more precise, stealthy instrument of force than many chapters can provide. it is rare but not unheard of for a kill team to be composed mostly or solely of FoW brothers.

The FoW seems to benefit from their strong connections to the AM and inquisition, as they seem to have a larger amount of heavy combat vehicles, dreadnoughts and other "force multipliers" than most chapters in addition to the previously mentioned amounts of advanced gear they seem to have access to, and it is not uncommon for FoW scout squads to seemingly have access to small amounts of gear normally reserved for Killteam marines.

it is thought the FoW occasionally receives shipments of fresh geneseed cultivated from the raven guard chapter, to help maintain their numbers. Also, initiates who have failed to become full marines in some cases are allowed to live and mature serving in various roles after being implanted with progenoids, which are harvested upon maturity. It is possible to harvest progenoids from a live carrier tho difficult and time consuming, and the subject does not always survive, yet due to their shortage of progenoids the FoW does taken this risk frequently rather than risk loss of their limited supply of progenoids on the battlefield.

The chapter symbol is an open book, a vast tome, in front of a vertical sword, point down. A large raven sits upon the pommel of the sword. The chapter colors are the color of writing, black and white, and their creed it "Wisdom without force is powerless. Force without wisdom is chaos. We are the force that gives wisdom power. We are the Wisdom that gives force purpose."

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

Not especially for the RPG, but a few for the TT game. and for fun really. here's a hand full:

World Breakers :

Real close with the Invaders and ordo xenos, not so much with the SoB and Iron hands

The Lightbringers, Astral flames and Incinerators

These 3 chapters were founded at the same time and each had an afinity with a certain weapon:

Lightbringers: Fleetbased lascannon experts, currently MIA after a succesfull crusade

Astral Flames: originaly Plasma weapon experts but soon the whole chapter developed psychic powers .

Incinerators: Flamer/melta experts with lot's of land speeders and a distrust of psykers.

Champions of the Emperor

Ultramarine succesor chapter obsessed with history of the great crusade and the Horus heresy. Never forgave the ultra's for not being at the siege of Terra. Now have a battlebarge in the sol sytem as an honour guard. Will not use lightning claws as that was the weapon used to slay sanguinius and the Emperor. Wear highly ornate power armour. Made two attempts to kill Abbadon.

Grey Skulls

Retconned into a knight Household

Hunting Hawks

What happens when Robin Graves gets infatuated with Bangels with winged jump packs.

Crimson Wolves

Became the renegade Blood Wolves* after spontanious geneseeed corruption.

* Actually named after a monster from Deadlands: hell on earth , not blood angels + space wolves.

Jade Dragons

Note to self: don't base SM chapters on the double dragons cartoon.

Here are all the ideas I've had for Chapters. I don't know how many I'll finish and how many I'll convert into other stuff, like military traditions from planets where Imperial Guard regiments are raised, and so on. I should add though that the Smoking Fists and the Angels Malakim are finished, so there's something. :D

Imperial Fists Successors

Imperial Justicars

They keep great books recording all the wrongs done to the Imperium by various enemies and the retribution they delivered for these wrongs. They are to a larger degree than many other Space Marines focused on taking enemies, in particular enemy leaders, alive and deliver gruesome punishments as fitting for their crimes. They are fleetborn to deliver the Emperor's justice across the galaxy.

Marines Ursines

Essentially siege experts armed with great two-handed maces with which they smash all oppositions into a pulp. And as might be suspected, they have a Russian theme to them.

Tribulators

Thinks that pain makes mankind stronger and so fights to ensure that the Chapter becomes as strong as possible, for the blood of the fallen will water the earth and allow great strength to grow.

War Clerics

Essentially a version of the Black Templars with the difference that these are said to have a relation with the Ecclesiarchy that many think are a little to close. They tend to show up to support Wars of Faith and prioritiaze heretics before xenos.

Smoking Fists

A young Chapter specialized in armored warfare and vehicles and thirsty for glory and to prove themselves before more established Chapters.

Iron Hands

Axemen of Ceryx

Favors the use of axes and delights in close combat where the supremacy of iron over flesh is made manifest most clearly.

Mailed Griffons

A bit unusual in that these Marines are specialized in siege warfare and as such favors armor and heavy firepower over mobility

Blood Angels

Angels Seraphim

They are gifted with dreams they claim comes from the Emperor and based almost any and all decision on the interpretation of these dreams and the use of the Emperor's Tarot

Devourers

A now dead Chapter with a mutation in their geneseed that made them into mutated monsters tearing friend and foe limb from limb, what few stabile remain have joined the Deathwatch and donated their entire armory to that institution.

Emperor's Heralds

Focused on striking out beyond the Imperium's frontiers and paving the way for the Imperium arrival and conquests, often seeding myths and stories of the Emperor among benighted humans

White Scars

Conquerors

Driven to lay low their enemies they collect vast ammounts of trophies from their victories and bring them to their homeworld. They are essentially based on the Asoiaf Dothraki

Imperial Scourges

Haven't developed them more than they will be based on the Huns and Attila

Mutilators

Enjoys the suffering of their enemies and not above prolonging a conflict in order to slay and destroy more of their foes, its suspected that sadism is an actual trait in their geneseed. As could be expected the Chapter has some problems with members defecting to Khorne

Raven Guard

Ravenkin

Very skilled in divination

Space Vultures

Has essentially been black-listed by the Adeptus Mechanicus and must now make due with what they can scavange or earn as gifts from other Chapters, their technological equipment are slowly being grinded down

War Phantoms

Experts in psycological warfare and stealth, focusing more on attacking the mentality and morale of the enemy than their physical assets

And a great deal more

Ultramarines

Argent Knights

Ascendants

Cataphracts

Champions of Glarion

Glorious Companions

Golden Lions

Marines Invictus

Marines Strategoi

Night Falcons

Palatian Guards

Silver Claws

Sons of War

Stormbringers

Equites of Vulci

Miles Militant

Legion of the Legate

Aquilifers

Evocatii

Dark Angels

Angels Erelim

Angels Sarim

Knights of Vengeance

Nights Skulls

Templars of Uriel (I thought these were different enough to warrent a special mention)

A cult-like Chapter which holds the secret doctrine that Lion El'Johnson was a traitor to the Emperor and thus damned all those bearing the geneseed from him. The Chapter is active to gather equipment and information for the time when they shall expand their Chapter like crazy and go on a holy war to destroy the Dark Angels, the Unforgiven and all others tainted by the Lion's geneseed. After this final victory is done, the Templars of Uriel will commit collective suicide and so end the taint once and for all.

Unkown Founding Chapter

Angels Malakim

Angels Ophanim

Brass Bulls

Bronze Titans

Brothers of Kerysos

Eternal Guardians

Gladiators

Grey Pilgrims

Grim Spearmen

Hounds of the Emperor

Marines Draconis

Marines Pentinant

Murder Legion

Nightmares

Solar Lions

Sons of the Forge

Thunder Brothers

Wyrm Warriors

Reapers

Undetermined founding Chapter

Sons of Lughos

Renders

Winter Marines

Marines Ultor

Brazen Crusaders

White Bulls

Imperial Lupines

Sons of Ares

Lycegenes

Marines Horoikai

Marines Ageletai

Aphetors

Marines Scrofim

Salii

Seers of the Golden Throne

Puppeteers

Marines Moros

Ironbreakers

Guardians of the Ladder

Edited by Gurkhal

Guardians of the Ladder? What are they about?

Guardians of the Ladder? What are they about?

They are one of the Chapters I haven't fleshed out much. My notes on them however write that I'm going with a theurgy theme and that they hold, or claim to hold, a mystical knowledge on henosis with the Emperor's and thus achive perfection as a tool of His will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theurgy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henosis

I might go with 'Guardians of the ascension' instead of ladder.

I might go with 'Guardians of the ascension' instead of ladder.

True enough, I am a bit concerned that they might have a name that's to similar with the Ascendants Chapter though.

Edited by Gurkhal

Death Watch and all the Video Games.

A lot of it made by committee, some just kinda worked out.

We are the Crimson Griffons, typically darker red armour with black pauldrons, trim dependant on company.

Heavily steeped in Arthurian lore - Avalon subsector etc etc etc.

Ultramarines successor. 3rd founding

I had to do some custom tweaks for this to work with the games, so each battle company is ~150 warriors, is self dependant - has it's own Veterans and Scouts. Many companies practice different specializations on combat (the 2nd, which I command is sneekty-beeky, except for the hammernator charges).

Best of all, WE ARE RECRUITING!